Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz - early season ok?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Right, as you may have spotted, after the success of our group trip to Tignes this month, we're now looking at organising next year's. We've been looking at the Milky Way, but another option that's tickling various peoples' fancy is Avoriaz and the Portes de Soleils.

So, question is: is it too much of a gamble snow-wise in the early season (we'd be looking at 12th - 19th ish Dec)?

We've been looking at snow records and it looks pretty decent, but as the group is likely to be around 25, that's a lot of people who could potentially be disappointed.

Thoughts please (and a very Merry Christmas to all you snowHead Very Happy)
Monium.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi - my first post here but one where I might even be able to be useful. I work for P&V in the UK.

As you probably know pretty much nowhere is a 'given' early season but the past 2 years Avoriaz have been able to open early for the first weekend of December for a locals weekend. Benefits include: Plenty of pasture based terrain so less depth required, a nice lot of trees providing shelter from wind and extreme weather conditions comman at this time of year! Great snow park - le stash - provides hours of entertainment if the conditions elsewhere are dodgy, less rowdy students in situ than other 'high' resorts on this week (granted some people might enjoy the proximity of the students...) Group rates available for groups of 20 or more and low starting prices on this week, plus next winter due to Christmas falling on Saturday, the standard arrival day temporarily moves to Sunday, which results in an offer of 9 nights for the price of 7 on this departure date (nights of 10+11 Dec effectively 'free'). Mixture of accommodation from pretty decent spacious apartments in Balcons de Soleil or cheap n cheerful in Maeva studios for those on tight budgets.

I hope this does not sound too much of a sales effort but personally I have taken several corporate groups (including quite picky ski journos) to Avoriaz and every time its been a raving success. In my opinion the ski area might not be as harmoniously interlinked as others but it has bags of character, off piste gets less tracked as quickly as the Tarentaise with more than enough challenges for most for a week. Also cost of living is a lot more realistic than in some other 'bigger name' resorts.

Certainly not for next year but there is massive investment going into the resort too in terms of ski lift and resort infrastructure which will be great but expect some higher prices to pay for it all!!

Contact me for more info on this.

Happy Christmas, and to those skiing please enjoy responsibly!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[b]Moniu[b], This is a tricky one to answer. I too have a connection to Avoriaz. For the five seasons I have been out the first or second week of the season and no problems. However the above poster may not be up to date with what happened this year! Avoriaz only opened up for the weekends this year until the official openening whch was the 12th this year. our friends were there this year and could only play in the snow with the family as the resort did not operate the lifts during the wee.

you might be lucky but might not!!!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go back to Tignes.

Or Val Thorens.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Roy Hockley, Thanks for post - I had been looking at Avoriaz for the future as I traditionally go the week before Christmas - I'd have been devastated if there was snow and the lifts weren't open..... what a nightmare.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Monium, as much as I love the PDS, I'd say that that 12-19 Dec is too much of a gamble for a week.

A friend of ours had a stonking week skiing that week last year, but you'd have been disappointed this year.

I'm sure there'll be weekend skiing. But I wouldn't risk a week.

Saying that, sod's law dictates that it'll be a bumper year!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy