Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Why wife has been skiing twice and now wants her own equipment.

She is very cautious and slow and just lacks confidence.

While searching ebay I came across these? Surely they are better than rental skis?

http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Blizzard_Firebird_X03.html

What are your views?

In additional, I've been skiing about 65 days over 30 years and can carve etc, and fancy these...I am mainly a piste skier.

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code_in=700942

Should I be looking at any other brands?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dave_m, Welcome to snowHead I think Snow and Rock do a special beginner pack with skis boot and bag as well that might be worth a look.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

In additional, I've been skiing about 65 days over 30 years and can carve etc, and fancy these...I am mainly a piste skier.

Hi Dave

My first post on here but just noticed your interest in the Head Peak 73. I bought these about 6 weeks ago - I got them from Snowfit, quite a bit cheaper than in EB (about £275). I have about 40 days experience over 15 years and mainly like on piste carving so quite similar to yourself I'd guess. These are my first set of skis - I chose them after speaking at length with some people in the know, and doing a demo at MK.

I have skied on them a few times indoors at Milton Keynes and did a day in Breckenridge earlier in December (cheeky day out whilst away in the US with work). The conditions in Breck were a bit tricky with no new snow for some time so there was a lot of ice about, despite this the skis gripped well. I have been really impressed with the added confidence I have with these skis. I have been told that the intelligence material stiffens the ski when under increased stress, now I don't know is this is just marketing nonsense but the ski did seem to hold well as my confidence grew and turns became more aggressive.

I would definitely recommend these skis, especially at the price! Any specific questions, let me know.

Another ski I was told to try was the Fischer Watea 78 - more of an all rounder, but supposed to be good at the price.

Cheers

Nick
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for replying.

Yep, I think I am happy with my choice of skis, now need to sort the wife out some.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dave_m, Your wife sounds just the same as me. Cautious and slow but so much wanting to get better Smile

Bought a pair of HEAD " Cool Ones" this year as had rented them for a holiday and liked them. I also wanted to buy something that I could grow into and wouldn;t need to change in a couple of years time - well that was the theory anyway !! They have never let me down and although supposedly intermediate skis, they are very forgiving, which is good.

To be honest I found having my own skis rather than having whatever the rental shop or dry slope had in my size and flung at me was important, it has given me more confidence and I don't have to worry about what type of skis I have given. I know what they will do for my standard and will keep my going for a while yet Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm in exactly the same position as bobblehat! Keeping as much consistent as I can is important for my confidence - probably daft, but there you go! I know that renting is probably more sensible in one way but even with paying for carriage I have already got my money back as I paid only a little over £100 for mine.

If you and your wife are able to make a week in March there is a week especially for the more cautious (plus friends) - see link below Smile Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dave m

The skis look fine to me. bought some Heads 3 yrs ago and think they're the best things I've had. Thought the marketing of intellifibres was perhaps a bit of tosh (I've worked indepth in several technical / materials fields) but somehow they are sublime and whatever they do in there absolutely works for me and I have develeloped skills and enjoy things I just couldn't before.

I hadn't even considered Head before this and bought them unused from the leftover stock because they were the size I wanted. Now you'd have a fight to take them from me, they have such an incredible range of performance and I seem to be able to go anywhere on them.

Have fun with the new skis.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dave_m, both ski choices look sound, my wife is an improver and now has some new Head Fine Ones. I can thoroughly endorse what bobblehat has said about Snowfit they are good on advice and price and the week in March that Butterfly, has highlighted sounds perfect Cool snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dave_m, It may not be what your wife wants to hear, but it isn't at all cost effective for a beginner to buy skis - even one who was doing a season, as she will still be improving very quickly and want something better within a few weeks. The first thing you need to splash out on is some really well fitted boots - this will not be cheap, but is the priority. If money's not an issue then by all means get skis too, but if it is then definitely get the boots first.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the advice.

As with all good plans....they tend to change.

We went to the gym this morning and on the way back thought we'd see if two season was open instead of driving over to MK and Ellis Brigham.

They fitted her up with some Salomon Diving 6 boots and had a deal on Head First one skis, pols and a bag! Obviously it was nice to have the binding set while we were there rather than online etc.

She's a very happy wife and is going to MK at 9.30 to ski for an hour!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dave_m, have fun Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Divine not diving! Good typo that!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
we do a head ski pack with the head fine one, edge ski boots and pole and bag for £299.95 Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy