Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Our Little Trip To Tignes - 12th-20th Dec 09

Poster: A snowHead
Thought this might be of interest, wrote a report for the group we went away with from our trip to Tignes last week.

Not sure how best to include the photos, will see if the links work on here Smile

Well, we're back, and what a week.

To put in perspective, a few days before we went away we saw this video from Val D'Isere (just round the corner from Tignes where we were going):

YouTube - Inspired to ski 1st dec.MOV

So expectations were high. The powder was deep, and our powder was dry Very Happy

We'd booked a week for 10 of us with Ski Olympic, and we were off to Chalet Isabelle in Tignes to be fed, watered and treated with loveliness for a week. Up front I'll tell you that we are looking around for next year's group trip and are looking at Ski Olmpic first, they really hit all the right notes with us.

It all started at about 10pm last Saturday night, when most of us met up at the hotel ready for a very early 5am start on the Sunday. Everyone had a couple of pints, and got a relatively early night ready for the next day. This wasn't a theme that would continue, with a fair few late nights and 8 o'clock breakfasts in the days to come Smile

Everything was going well so far, everyone had turned up on time, they had all their stuff with them, and we were off skiing. The trip was a mix of just about every different group of mates we've got, which made for a good fun group who covered everything from beginner through intermediate to some fairly advanced drinkers. Some of them could ski too.

We rocked up at le chalet just in time for a 3:30pm run down the free lifts, which were literally 10m from our front door. When they say ski in ski out in the brochure, you reckon it will be less than 100m. We could have peed off the balcony onto the nearest bit of slope. Nice. No ski buses, no long walks, no sweating your backside off getting back from the slopes for wine and freshly baked cake.

So the highlights of the week - 4 days of glorious sunshine following several days of snow - we skied for days without touching a bit of ice anywhere. Brilliant. The only thing that stopped us skiing was our ongoing commitment to lunch up a mountain somewhere, and to vin chaud. Mmmm. Lots of vin chaud. And some beer occasionally.

Day 1 (I think) and we're sitting about waiting for a couple of the others to come down the mogully red we've just negotiated!

The skiing in Tignes was rather lovely, and the completely vast area available to ski is hard to describe (for those of you who've not done it 10 times already!). Between all of us put together, I think the various groups managed to cover about 60% of the runs we could have skied on our passes. Espace Killy is a huge area, with runs to suit everyone, and we did what we could to try and do a lot of these, but it's just massive.

To give you an idea of how massive, this is one of the short lifts up to one of the mountain peaks:

Anyway, on the 5th day it snowed. A lot. Like loads. For a long time. Luckily for me we'd been out until 5am the night before helping some of the newer seasonnaires to learn what going out on the town is about in a ski resort. That meant an easy decision to have a bit of a lie in, and do a couple of hours skiing before a nice early afternoon snooze.

We awoke on the 6th day and it was still snowing rather a lot. Which was ok, but really it was getting a bit difficult skiing with all this snow about. So we made a tactical decision. We'd try and get above the clouds, where there's not going to be any snow, because we were higher than the clouds the snow could come out of. The plan did backfire a bit. We got on a bloody great funicular railway to the Grande Motte, and got out ready to get on the cable car to the very top of the highest mountain I've ever been up in my life. But the cable car was cancelled, probably because of the 40mph winds and rather a lot of snow coming down.

So off we pootle to come down the mountain. At this point we realise that we might not be above the clouds, but the sun was coming out a bit, and despite the rather cold wind (minus 20 deg plus wind chill) we were skiing in virgin powder down some rather good red runs, and had the mountain to ourselves. Just nobody there but us. It was epic. Note the "Warning, Crevasse" sign behind us. We never even saw it for a second Smile

I might get round to explaining the route home, which should have got us there by about 1pm today, and instead we managed to get out of Gatwick about 5pm this afternoon. But then we can't really complain about a bit of snow. Without it the week would have been rather less eventful and fun.

And for the record, everyone came back largely intact, no broken bones, and no skiing injuries. There were two rather amusing drinking injuries, one caused by walking up a ruddy great icy road with skis on his shoulder after a lot of very strong beer, and another caused by breakdancing, if that's the word for it.

For anyone planning a chalet ski trip to France, Ski Olympic really is the way to go. We couldn't have wanted any more food, free wine, useful advice, perfect location, and rather understanding snowbunnies who seemed to get our sense of humour eventually Wink

Anyway, roll on 2010, we'll be planning another little winter jaunt to some mountains for a nice week of relaxing, being fed stupid and a few drinks in between, I think I may have recovered in about 12 months Very Happy

Trip costs: £427 per person for flight, transfers, accomodation and chalet catered food (cooked option at breakfast, fresh cake afternoon and 3 course dinner 6 days) based on group of 10 sharing.
Lift pass: Bit of a boon we were in the last week before the prices go up, 196.50 Euros (ouch) but the skiing was brilliant.
Beer and vin chaud: A lot. More than a lot. Loads. Whoops.

Hope this helps some, and was enjoyable to read. Fairly new to the site and not sure how interested you lot are, but anyone planning a similar trip please feel free to get in touch. This was our first group trip really and it worked out rather well but we did learn some lessons!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
/envy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Monium, a nice report, sounds like a cracking week!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice report, sounds like a good deal and a good week...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great report and lovely photos! Glad you got to enjoy some blue bird days. I was reading in the Times last week that prices on the mountain for lunch have dropped this year. It quoted average price as £10 for a three course meal compared to £25 last year. I find this hard to believe! What was your experience?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Deal worked out as incredibly good value - our only costs were those that went out for lunch and either a couple of cases of beer or drinks out on the town - which were astronomically expensive (30 Euros for 4 drinks, even in the cheap bars) - will definitely be doing it this way again, because I can't imagine a more relaxed and less thinking holiday - get on plane, get on coach, go out skiing, drink eat and be merry, sleep, repeat skiing...

And we got incredibly lucky with the weather - it had been snowing for a few days before we arrived, then 4 days of sunshine (despite it being minus 10 or more the whole week) and the one day we basically gave up due to flat light was a convenient break before the last day in snow/sun (but minus 20) - all this said we knew Tignes was a safe bet that if skiing was going to be good anywhere that week, Tignes would be.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

It quoted average price as £10 for a three course meal compared to £25 last year. I find this hard to believe! What was your experience?

We were in Tignes from 10th-12 December. Sadly saw no evidence of major price cuts in any restaurants Sad - mountain or otherwise........One or two menus showed 1 or 2 euros off a 18 or 20 euro main course - otherwise it was the usual 5 euro frites, 18 euro spaghetti bolognese and 6.5 euros for a small myrtille tart (We took picnics Toofy Grin ).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
billyh wrote:
Great report and lovely photos! Glad you got to enjoy some blue bird days. I was reading in the Times last week that prices on the mountain for lunch have dropped this year. It quoted average price as £10 for a three course meal compared to £25 last year. I find this hard to believe! What was your experience?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

There is no way on earth in a million years you could have eaten three courses in any of the mountain restaurants for £10. Ever. In a million years. A pizza was 12 euros+ almost everywhere, seemed to be a standard price.

Hot chocolate was 3 euros minimum for a small cup, coffee the same.

Prices may have dropped (though some of the more frequent visitors amongst the group didn't think so) but they are still incredibly high. There were the odd bargains in there, croque monsieur for 5 or 6 euros, but with the exchange rate how it is that is still more than central london in rush hour.

You could have done three courses for 25 euros if you were careful where you went. We didn't manage a basic lunch with one drink for less than 15 euros per head between all of us.

We were told there is a cheap noodle/chinese place on the high street in Le Lac, didn't find it when we were there but apparently 3-4 euros for a decent bowl of carbs. Someone will know what it's called, some funny play on words name.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Monium wrote:
Someone will know what it's called, some funny play on words name.

Tignes Cuisine wink

Glad you enjoyed your stay. It's not all about the price of a coffee.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Monium, A great report, thanks for sharing. Ski Olympic are a very good company IMHO.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A great read, going to Tignes in 3 weeks. So where can i find this Tignes Cuisine. mmmmmmmm Noodles and a pint of curry sauce.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

It quoted average price as £10 for a three course meal compared to £25 last year. I find this hard to believe! What was your experience?

We were in Tignes from 10th-12 December. Sadly saw no evidence of major price cuts in any restaurants Sad - mountain or otherwise........One or two menus showed 1 or 2 euros off a 18 or 20 euro main course - otherwise it was the usual 5 euro frites, 18 euro spaghetti bolognese and 6.5 euros for a small myrtille tart (We took picnics Toofy Grin ).
I reckon the reporter from the Times must have had a little too much vin chaud and missed the extra 0's when he was paying the bill for his three course meal!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There was a place in (I think) Val Claret that did a two course lunch for 13 Euros - steak frites and a pudding, that kind of thing. Decent enough. Got stiffed on the drinks though... rolling eyes and pizzas were still around 14 euros.

We did manage to make Grand Marnier vin chaud in the chalet one night - we all got trolleyed on 3 litres of the stuff. Ooops.... Damn sight cheaper than getting it in Val D'I though (the inspiration came from a bar over there).

Anyway, if you're off there soon, enjoy Very Happy

We're off to Andorra (Tarter) next month, hoping for similarly good skiing!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oooh, just spotted this. I was on this trip (second from the left in the top photo) and would like to express my gratitude to Monium and her other half for the sterling work they put in to organise such a great week.

Thanks for the report Monium, I was right back there again for a minute Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cool report! Liking the pics - although that cable car ride looks scary..
latest report
Great report Very Happy
snow conditions
hatchet wrote:
A great read, going to Tignes in 3 weeks. So where can i find this Tignes Cuisine. mmmmmmmm Noodles and a pint of curry sauce.

Next door to the Loop bar in Tignes le Lac, opposite side of road to the Rosset nursery run & chair.
snow report
Anyone know if Holly recovered from her ride down to Bourg?
snow report
Kaiser wrote:
Anyone know if Holly recovered from her ride down to Bourg?

She's signed up for next year's trip, so I don't think it scarred her too much Very Happy
ski holidays
Excellent! I had fun anyway even if we did bounce off couple of corners!

You'll be pleased to know it hasn't stopped dumping since you left, maybe wise to pop back soon....
snow report
Monium, great report, glad you had such a successful trip. snowHead
snow report
Kaiser wrote:
Excellent! I had fun anyway even if we did bounce off couple of corners!

You'll be pleased to know it hasn't stopped dumping since you left, maybe wise to pop back soon....

Not entirely sure who you are now! Are you my Beard Buddy? If so, nice to see you on here. Now, back to the Black Beauty theme tune...

Not going to make it back this season, but I think you're on the list of possibles for Jan/Feb 2011. Unless we get a really good last minute offer for last week of March. Happy to come out and work as a seasonnaire apres trainer, we can show you guys how to party again - I'll bring the team Very Happy
ski holidays
how about our lunch deal : sandwich , chips & salad plus small beer : 10€
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy