Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cutting skins to length...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just cutting my skis, any views on how long to leave the tail? from a quick google there seems to be 2 schools of thought, leave long and fold over to stick to top sheet or cut just short of tail?

I have simple skins with a tip bar and no tail attachment...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, Cut each skin in half and you will be left with four skins. Embarassed Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, ... if you're just using a tip holder, then cut off the skins short of the tail - 25-50mm. Keep as light as you can - no point in carrying excess bulk - you could fit in a Special Brie & Jambon baguette in place of the excess skin .... Laughing

What type of skins have you opted for .. ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BernardC, I got some BD Ascension Nylon standard from the US in the end of season sales last season...decision purely based on price Smile

Kinda wondering how foolish I would look testing them out in the lower foot hills of Leeds Wink

very good geepee, Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, just short of the tail (my personal option) - if you fold it over the tail that bit will invariably come unstuck and then accelerate the peeling process of the rear of the skin...
Alot of the 'rando-race' crew cut shorter than this ( a few inches in from the tail).. however if you do this you also need a lycra one-piece...Very Happy

Had a pair of BD ascensions on some Pocket Rockets - lasted 7 years before I sold them on - still perfect stick & grip...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're not using any sort of proprietary clip then Lou Dawson's Rat Tails seem to work well for us. Just don't tug too hard on the tail when you want to remove the skin. Wink

http://www.wildsnow.com/tips/skin_tail_fix.html

I certainly wouldn't try to stick the end of the tail to the top of the ski. Recipe for much cursing, IMHO.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, .... just thought of something else that you might be interested in, for quick folding of skins on the mountain ... if you ever come across them ..

I can only describe them as a pair cut-off shirt sleeves / tubes, of pure silk. When you are on the mountain and ready to remove the skins from the skis, place the 'silk sleeve' on your arm just like a shirt sleeve. Stick the ski tail down in the snow. Remove the tip clip and pull the skin off to half-way down the ski length. Catch the top of the 'silk sleeve and roll it down your arm over half the skin & let the adhesive side stick to the silk. Pull the other half of the skin off the ski & fold it back onto the silk sleeve, so that the adhesive side is also on the silk. Fold the skins whatever way you want and tuck them inside your jacket or in your rucksack.

Not sure if these things have a name - Cyril down at Intersport Bourg Saint Maurice just gave them to me. I thought they were a bit gimicky, but I've had them for a few seasons now and wouldn't be without them .. if you've ever tried taking off skins when it's blowing a gale, with freezing hands you'll appreciate these. Skins can be taken off with gloves on - best invention since sliced bread ... Very Happy

I'm sure the sleeves of a silk blouse would do just as well, from the woman you love, but perhaps consider putting your affairs/Last Will & Testament, in order before cutting them off ... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BernardC, cheers, I shall keep an eye out for them and/or the missus chucking some silk blouses!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
....decision purely based on price Smile.....

As usual wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A couple voile straps help just in case you get a peeled skin.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, look after the pennies and all that....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BernardC, kitenski, 'skin socks'; they come as standard with Montana skins & you can buy them separately - there was definitely a shop in Meribel selling them last year as I recall. Great for windy days..!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy