Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wearing soft boots on planes

Poster: A snowHead
I guess this is a FAQ, but I can't find it via search because there are so many threads about ski boots in hand luggage! rolling eyes

What's the latest advice concerning whether soft/snowboard boots can be worn as footwear through check-in and on board planes?

It is this a common technique for keeping luggage weight down, or is it now prohibited given all the plastic explosive one can hide in soft boots?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bit of a pain when you have to take them off through security Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
crosbie, mountaineers have been wearing heavy boots on planes for years. How heavy are your boots though?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops, no doubt. But then it's a bit of a pain having to pay wodges of dosh for excess weight. I have one pair of hard boots to take through as ski kit, and one pair of soft boots as other luggage. Can't tell between hard pack or powder much in advance. If wearing soft boots was typical/common that may save a fair tad (I can't say I've looked much at others' footwear last time I flew).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly, I've got step-in soft boots that are pretty hefty. K2 Clicker Firebirds.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
crosbie, fair enough, I think you'll be ok I've flown in B3 mountaineering boots although it was about 4 years ago.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I guess Swirly, you didn't have crampons fitted to them at the time, but does the B3's soleplate trigger the metal detectors?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
crosbie, I had to take them off for the metal detector. This was amusing on the way back when I'd been wearing them for almost 5 weeks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly, did you take them off because you thought it was a good idea (despite aroma Skullie ), or because you were asked to?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
crosbie, I was asked to, the guy laughed when he saw what I was wearing. He stopped laughing when he got the smell. This was in Venice btw, I can't remember what happened on the way out.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
crosbie, technically I doubt there would be an issue, they are just like big hiking boots really I suppose.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've seen people on planes wearing ski boots.

Snowboard boots are just big clumpy trainers really aren't they. I can't imagine they're any more of a security hazard than, say, Uggs.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulio wrote:
I've seen people on planes wearing ski boots.

I ahve seen question about this and a few mentions of people having done it, but that simply outstands me that
a) people are willing to go about an airport/plane/other airport with ski boots on
b) they're allowed to do it..

I am as keen as everyone to save some dosh but travelling in ski boots! Shocked rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The chap I saw still had them on after luggage reclaim as well. I shared a bus with him, and watched him do that funny ski-boot walk to his car at Purple Parking.

I'm guessing he didn't drive home in them though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
has any one ever seen someone or knows of someone wearing either ski boots or snowboard boots on a flight ?
ski holidays
Er.
ski holidays
paulio, cough it up son Shocked
snow report
rayscoops,

didn't paulio just said he saw one???
ski holidays
Kruisler, missed that Embarassed
snow report
paulio, i must learn to type quicker Very Happy
snow conditions
Oi skiers, you've got 50 threads about ski boots on planes. Let's keep this to snowboarder's soft boots eh? snowHead

At least soft boots are plausible as permitted footwear.
latest report
To be honest when I first mentioned mountaineering boots I meant plastic boots then as they're the heavy ones.
latest report
Swirly, yup, I noticed there were plastic B3s as well as leather ones. I thought "Nah. He can't have meant the plastic ones, they look like ski boots!"
snow conditions
crosbie,
First, I'm bi... wink
Secondly, although snowboards boots are indeed somehow an "improvement" over ski boots, I still just can't picture myself or anyone else wearing them in airports/planes....
Confused
ski holidays
crosbie, mine are leather but yeah the guys off to the greater ranges tend to wear them.

Back in the day it wasn't unknown for people to make karabiner vests to wear on the plane! You definitely wouldn't be allowed to do that now.
latest report
Kruisler, hey no worries, I only board with skiers anyway these days (the only ones who can keep up with me). Moreover, I carry both hard and soft boots, hence my weight predicament. Toofy Grin

I'm just keen for those few boarders on Snowheads to tell me if they've EVER noticed any boarders walking about the departure lounges in soft boots (better still, if they've worn them).

I know the subject of ski boots is far more interesting to most, but, MUST... keep... on... topic... nngh!
latest report
crosbie, I know people who've done it, but since the airlines keep moving the goalposts every five minutes you won't know for sure until you try it.
ski holidays
Lizzard, sure. I've even considered buying a sacrificial set of boots to take in case the security bods shake their heads. It would thus also be informative to know if anyone's had to leave their boots behind because security considered them a 'risk'.

It's getting to the stage where NASA astronauts had more leeway in terms of what they were allowed to wear or carry.

These people you know who've done it. Are we talking 10 years ago or last year? And I guess it was more for portability/preference than to avoid luggage restrictions/surcharges?

I tend to drive or get the train to the Alps these days to avoid the problem completely, but North America has to be flown to (I'll get a ship if I can ever afford the time and money).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

has any one ever seen someone or knows of someone wearing either ski boots or snowboard boots on a flight ?

Yep. One of our group came out with us on Ryanair wearing snowboard boots and Jacket to keep hand luggage down. Stopped short of wearing a helmet - reserved for the most faint hearted fliers Very Happy . Not really that much that much bother and not troubled by security. Ski boots is pushing it a bit - much more faffing around.
snow conditions
crosbie, I have just been travelling on planes in various places and was always wearing heavy boots. Not a problem but you have to take them off at security as they set off the alarm every time. I forgot once and it was quite funny. Laughing Well I thought so, but it did make them xray them and stick there thing inside as well. They even wipped and then put the cloth through a special machine to check for expolsive nitrate or something like that. All very interesting I thought, but I did have loads of time to waste before my flight. All in a days fun. Toofy Grin
snow report
crosbie, no, it was to keep baggage weight down - 15kg doesn't go far when you're away for six months. And I don't know about when exactly, within the past five years or so, I would say. Not much help, really!
latest report
I have taken my snowboard boots in my hand luggage for every trip for the last 4 years. If I pack them in a sort of , ahem, 69 position, they fit really nicely in a small/medium rucksack along with my padded shorts, snowboard trousers and base layer. Socks, spare undercrackers, wristguards and goggles are stuffed in each boot neck, and i wear my jacket, so I'm good to ride on arrival if my hold luggage doesn't make it.

In fact one year we flew an entire 4 day trip on Ryanair to Salzburg on hand luggage only, we just had the addition of spare pants/socks and bra's (for the ladies) hanging out of all our pockets and wore a spare T-shirt and jumper. Looked like the michelin man going through security.

Never worn my boots for the flight though,
snow report
UPDATE:

I wrote (9th Dec '09):

Quote:
I've just been informed by my tour operator that "With regards to wearing snowboard boots you need to contact the airline."

So, because the weight of snowboard boots are no longer included in the ski carriage fee, but now come off the hold luggage limit, I'd like to know if I can wear them as footwear onto the plane? Bear in mind that they are 'soft' snowboard boots and so quite comfortable and practical to walk around in (unlike hard ski boots).

Given the heightened security these days I am naturally alert to the possibility that for some peculiar reason I might not be allowed to board the plane with them. This would be a terrible predicament, so I am concerned to obtain a definitive answer from you in advance of travel.

The airline replied (11th Dec):

Quote:
Thank you for your email regarding snowboard boots.

If they are “soft” and “wearable” as mentioned in your email you will ok to travel in them, you will have to remove them at security as they will be put through the scanner but there will be no problem wearing them on the aircraft.

Obviously your tour operator, airline, and airport security policy may vary, but this might shed some light on this issue.

I will still only wear them if my kit is close to the weight limit, but at least I'm now slightly more reassured that wearing them is an option.
snow report
crosbie,

We flew from Luton two days ago and there were a couple of lads who we saw in departures wearing soft snowboarding boots.

I can't imagine there'd be any difference between travelling in snowboard boots as opposed to moonboots - which seem to be widely accepted on flights.
latest report
No difference but you will be laughed at
latest report
Thanks Bergmeister, interesting to have accounts of actual sightings. I don't suppose you noticed everyone laughing at them? Unless DebbiDoesSnow meant that moonboots were the shoes to laugh at. wink
snow conditions
I had the pleasure of seeing some idiot I used to work with at geneva airport wearing his rentals home,.... boy did we laugh at him ... a lot
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, I presume he was still wearing them by mistake having forgotten to return them to the hirer? Was that the amusement, as opposed to wearing softboots? Or perhaps he hired them from the UK?
snow report
No he had either bought them or stolen them and more importantly ...... He looked like an idiot !!!

put 'em in the hold, they don't weigh much, your going to the mountains not a fashion parade so you only need a few clothes (this coming for a girl) so you won't use all your weight allowance ? the things people do to avoid sticking to the airline baggage rules....
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, where've you been hiding?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy