Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Milan Cervinia Zermatt Short break

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just booked fights to Milan in January; Arrive Wednesday evening, Fly out Sunday evening. The Plan so far: Drive to Cervinia look for B+B late Wednesday night. Thurs Ski over to Zermatt, 2 nights in Barhoff Hotel, Saturday night in refuge, Sunday ski back to Cervinia pick up car and drive to Milan.

Am I mad ?
Would it be better to drive to Tasch ?
Is Parking and ski hire easier in Valtournench ?

Obviously a good weather forecast will be essential. I haven't skied in Zermatt for nearly 20 years but remember the Schwarz tour as pretty epic.

Any hints or tips appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which Milan?

Malpensa to Zermatt (well, Tasch) is an easy (and fairly pleasant) drive over the Simplon Pass and you'll enjoy staying in Zermatt a lot more than staying in Cervinia.

Parking in Tasch is pricey (but easy), ski hire in Zermatt is good - I got great quality gear when I was there from the shop under the Furi gondola. Can't speak for Valtournenche.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Parking right next to the lift in Valtournenche, but thats about all thats going for it..its rather tiny, I'd go with above and go to zermatt
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How long does it take to drive from Malpensa to Tasch ? The return flight is at 8.30 Sunday evening.
Any tips on keeping the parking costs down ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Malpensa to Tasch took me about 3.5 hours. I think you could do it quicker than that in better conditions, but I had to be a bit careful over the Simplon pass due to ice and that.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Last time I skied Zermatt I stayed in St Vincent which is 30km from Cervinia. The journey was about half an hour and typically I ran into about a dozen vehicles. The road was pretty deserted and I was able to park in the car parks of Cervinia everyday. It was mid March though. Valtournenche does have a big car park but there are several sizeable car parks in Cervinia too.

Cervinia town centre or its tourist centre does have colorful displays for finding accommodation (showing vacancies as well). There were a few vacancies when we looked into it. Bit of a risk not to book through the Internet first.

I think commuting to Zermatt via Tasch would take a lot longer as you have to catch a train into Zermatt and then walk to the lift stations. In Cervinia it was mostly less than 5 minutes walk from the car parks to the chairlifts for us.

I like the Italian side as it is more convenient. From the Cervinia chairlift station there are 3 chairlifts to the top so the first time one clips on the ski one is virtually in the Zermatt side.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Since our priority is the quality of the skiing and forum users generally rate Zermatt over Cervinia I think we will drive to Tasch gettig there about midnight. We will have to leave by 3.00 on Sunday and pay about £80 more for chains and car parking, but I dont want to risk being stuck in Cervinia wishing we were in Zermatt. Another option is Champoluc/Gressoney ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Drive to Taesch.

Stick the car in the multistorey next to the train station.

Suck up the parking charges.

Take the choochoo to Zermatt.

Stay in Zermatt.

Enjoy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hi, for a comprehensive guide to Zermatt and to Cervinia among others, read my ski guides on Simonseeks.com there is a full run down of places to stop off to eat and stay and all the necessary phone details heres the links www.tumbl.it/simonseekszermatt www.tumbl.it/simonseekscervinia

hope they are useful for your trip, you will love Zermatt it is amazing!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BertieG wrote:
How long does it take to drive from Malpensa to Tasch ? The return flight is at 8.30 Sunday evening.
Any tips on keeping the parking costs down ?

I like the plan of parking at Cervinia and skiing over to Zermatt. It basically allows more skiing on the last day and a more leasurely drive back to the airport.

Granted, that requires decent weather. On the other hand, if the weather is bad, it would take even longer to drive over the pass on the way back. Might not get much skiing done on the last day if that turn out to be the case.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Like the plan, my only comment is the danger of closure of the link between the 2 - las time I was in Cervinia the link was closed 4 days out of 6 due to the wind.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy