Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MOST EXPENSIVE TARTIFLETTE 2010 COMPETITION

Poster: A snowHead
It never ceases to amaze me the outrageous sums some mountain establishments charge for a Tartiflette, which whilst delicious, lets face is it possibly one of the cheapest dishes to prepare with nowt more than potatoes, onions, cream, lardoons and cheese. I reckon for 6-7 quid, even in Waitrose, I could buy enough ingredients to make a Tartiflette to serve 4, so who knows how cheap they can buy it in catering quantities in France. That said, I do love a good Tartiflette, even if it isn’t traditional.

Rules:

Quiet simple really. Find the most expensive tartiflette of the 2010 season, and post the details here.

1. You must have actually ordered/eaten it.
2. Post the details, where/when/how good or bad !
3. Attach of the photo of the menu !
4. for bonus points post a photo of you eating it, or if you’re shy just a photo of the served dish.

The prize ?
Naff all. Well other than snowheads fame and the kudos of knowing you’re a gentleman/lady of distinction and can casually afford the worlds most expensive Tartiflette…

snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gazzza, Why would any of us want to actually order it, if we feel it is likely to be the most expensive around?

Unless, of course, everything else in the restaurant is similarly expensive and/or it looks like a "superior" dish.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I plan to make a Tartiflette for my tea tonight, coincidentally.

Tell you what, you can have it for £50.

Do I win?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulio, nope - mines £55
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not quite a tartiflette, more a tartiflette pizza. In Tignes last week a Pizza Savoyard (Pizza base with about 1kg of potatoes, 1kg of cheese and a little ham) was very reasonably priced at less than 10 euros. Far too much to eat for lunch though and skiing after it was a little laboured.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B, it's given me indigestion just reading that! Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
After seeing and smelling my mate spewing last year after a rather rich tartiflette i don't think I'll be entering this competition. Is there a worse food to have when you are going to be sick?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gazzza, Got a 14.80 euro from season 08/09 in the Blache Murree in Les Arcs (above the route between the Transarc Mid-station and Peisey-Vallandry)

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm sure that would be cheap in comparison to some places!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is £15 quite a lot for a tartiflette?

Well, if you imagine dragging every potato up the top of a mountain. And then apply a 1.5 exchange rate (to be fair to the French as it's not their fault our tinpot Government has deflated our currency), then a tenner for lunch in a spectacular climate, eaten indoors, probably waiter served, compares VERY favourably with £6 or £7 spent in Pret on a tasteless sandwich, a packet of crips, a bottle of water and a fruit salad to prove you're being healthy...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a circle of Reblochon sitting in the fridge waiting for a suitable time over christmas to cook it.

Love a good bit of the classic dish.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Christopher, try eating it without cooking it first. MUCH better.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, ahhh I brought two and have already devoured one.

One of the best days of the summer was spent above Verbier having brought Reblochon, Jambon de Montagne et du pain in Argentiere (Chamonix) and absolutely devouring the stuff. It was fantastic.

I like it in both forms.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
but

Quote:

It is not a traditional dish (though based to a considerable degree on another regional dish called Péla), and was, in fact, invented and launched only in the 1980s by the Reblochon trade union in an attempt to increase sales of the cheese

from wikipedia so it must be true wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney wrote:
Gazzza, Why would any of us want to actually order it, if we feel it is likely to be the most expensive around?

Dunno, but it wiuld be too easy just to spot an overpriced Tartiflette on the menu, so figured it was a sensible rule.
Besides, only by tasting said overpriced tartiflette and telling us all about it will we know if it was worth it. Is a 15 euro tartiflette better than a 10 euro tartiflette??
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
I plan to make a Tartiflette for my tea tonight, coincidentally.

Tell you what, you can have it for £50.

Do I win?

Only if you post a photo of you troughing it, and have it published on an official menu Happy
ski holidays
First photo award to Bertie Basset. My taste buds are salivating just looking at that savoyard menu board, even if I can't read whats on it.

I can almost smell the smoky burning of the reblochon !
snow report
Mine wasn't worth £50 in the end.

£40 tops.
ski holidays
[goggles @ £130] Why would anyone pay stupid money for tartiflette when you get more or less the same by sandwiching some cheese triangles between a few layers of plain crisps? [/goggles @ £130]
snow report
Haha.

Not plain crisps though. Technically, you would need to combine layers of cheese and onion (or spring onion flavour if they still make those ?), smoky bacon and a sour cream pringle.

And going by the same theme assumedly served with a ribena instead of a cabernet sauvignon ?
snow conditions
Ok, £38, but that's my final offer.
ski holidays
youspurs1, Gazzza, LMAO Laughing
ski holidays
Four of us paid 19 euros Shocked a head for tartiflette two weeks ago in Val Thorens.

It was a special occasion (birthday) so we went here (as recommended by a fellow snowHead after I posted a query asking for a nice rustic restaurant in Val T) :

http://www.levieuxchalet.com/carte-restaurant.php

Excellent restaurant and colossal tartiflette serving - highly recommended, even at the price.
snow report
"colossal" - good adjective when used with tartiflette !

19 euro's thats a good effort. Wonder if anyone can break the 20 euro barrier ?

That place looks nice. The herb crusted rack of lamb that flashes up on the home page is making me drool, even though I'm stuffed from dinner and port n stilton.
ski holidays
The place to the skiers left right on the piste in Tignes Le Brevieres sells it at €20 a pop with a green salad I seem to recal.
latest report
These prices don't look particularly outrageous. It costs me about 12€ to make tartiflette for three/four (more like two restaurant servings), assuming proper Reblochon and not the cheapo 'cheese for tartiflette'. If you're paying 20€ for it in a mountain restaurant, the mark-up on it sounds about the same as it is on anything else.
ski holidays
the cheese is the expensive bit of the recipe. I paid £8 for the cheese alone in december in manchester!!!
snow report
It is £5 a lump of Reblochon in Waitrose. I've still got one sitting in my fridge, which will be used for Tartiflette over the festive period. I would have thought that would serve two people.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
£7 in Booths last time I bought a Reblochon, always takes the cheese monger back a bit. There was an odd ready made thing in the chilled cabinet, it said Tartiflette, but then said 'cheddar' on the pasckaging and it seemed to have piecrust ! Haven't seen it recentl.
snow conditions
10E50 in Le Grand Bornand this lunchtime and very nice it was too with a big fresh salad that actually tasted of something.

I know that's not going to win and I wouldn't have bothered posting it but I'm bored (in a lull while the wives bath the kids but sense it would be unacceptable to nip out for a beer)
ski holidays
Higs wrote:
in a lull while the wives bath the kids

How many wives do you have? Shocked
snow report
maggi wrote:
Higs wrote:
in a lull while the wives bath the kids

How many wives do you have? Shocked

enough.
ski holidays
I love tartiflette but it seems to be always advertised as a 2 person dish Sad Hubby hates it so I never get chance to indulge Sad As an aside, why IS it a 2 person dish? Can't they just halve it?
snow conditions
James the Last, can I have a 1.5 exchange rat eplease... it will make me rich, rich rich!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
reblochon reblochon reblochon where art thou reblochon Puzzled Puzzled

I wish people would stop torturing me with conversations on Tartflette. Mad Mad

I posted months ago about my search for reblochon cheese in the uk and following several optimistic leads I set off travelling miles to purchase the illusive reblochon.

At late as last night I searched the internet to find that my local Tesco claimed to stock reblochon in their finest range so 7.30 this morning I excitedly set off in my car to purchase vast quantities of reblochon ( I was thinking enough to feed a 1000 ) or certainly 6 months supply.

Can you imagine my dispair when I find that not only do they not stock reblochon nor the fact that the girl/lady working in that department had never heard of such a cheese their cheese counter was actually quite pathetic. A mere small counter stocked full of just Chedder/Red Leicester and Wenslydale. In fact the only exotic cheese they stocked was Philadelphia !!!!!!!!!. Mad Mad

Now I have searched and travelled afar for around 6 months in my quest for reblochon. Even to the fact that I have had to pay for a ski holiday so that I can visit my favourite mountain restuarant in Valmorel ( Prariond ). I recon that this will have cost me around £1500 by the time that I get to taste my beloved Tarteflette. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I THINK THIS WILL EASILY CONSTITUTE AS BEING THE MOST EXPENSIVE TARTEFLETTE BY THE YIME THAT I GET TO SIT DOWN AND ENJOY Very Happy Very Happy

The only other option that I have is to up sticks from my little backward town and move to a more cosmopolitan area that offers at least some sort of continental food selection especially when larger and lime is considered a cocktail. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

NOW THAT WOULD BE AN EXPENSIVE TARTEFLETTE.
latest report
Super Eagle - my local Asda sells Reblechon, don't know if you have one nearby? It had a 'new' sticker on it and that was about 3 months ago.
snow conditions
Super Eagle, you're doing it wrong. It's off-the-shelf in literally all supermarkets, for a couple of quid.
ski holidays
I feel your pain, though I only have 3 weeks till I'll be poping into my favorite restaraunt in Courchevel 1650 for Tartiflette. Hopefully I'll catch it when its on the plat du jour as its only about 12 euros with a side salad and a dessert as opposed to the usual 16/17 euros for the main course alone.

I've only made Tartiflette at home once, and it was delicous, though it did stink the house out with that smoky burnt cheese sort of smell. I think our local waitrose stocks it, and every now and again the French market visits town and you can pay over the odds for French fayre Happy

If you're despereate you can always get reblochon delivered....

http://www.teddingtoncheese.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Minimum order is 20 quid though so you'd have to buy a few whole reblochon or get some other cheeses as well.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
These prices don't look particularly outrageous. It costs me about 12€ to make tartiflette for three/four (more like two restaurant servings), assuming proper Reblochon and not the cheapo 'cheese for tartiflette'. If you're paying 20€ for it in a mountain restaurant, the mark-up on it sounds about the same as it is on anything else.

i made tartflette for my in-laws in Vancouver and the ingredients cost at least CAD90. lord knows how long I took traipsing around "specialty" shops to find all the stuff and how much petrol I used. they all liked it though
snow conditions
AllyK wrote:
I love tartiflette but it seems to be always advertised as a 2 person dish Sad Hubby hates it so I never get chance to indulge Sad As an aside, why IS it a 2 person dish? Can't they just halve it?

Ah it drives me nuts when they only do stuff as a 2 person dish. That said I've not seen that applied to Tartiflette. It's usually Raclette, Pierrade, and fondue.

I tried arguing the toss in a restaraunt in Les Brevieres as I was the only person who wanted the Pierrade, and they wouldn't have it. I said, just bring me half the meat. They refused. That said I then ordered Steak Tartare instead, which after serving us the starters they had to come out and admit the Steak Tartare was off, at which point they conceded and let me have the Pierrade.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy