Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid Layer for a Shell

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Skiing in verbier last week in -15. I was at the brink of being cold in my Arct'eryx Stingray shell with two merino layers and a micro fleece. I was thinking that i may need something thicker under my shell for the really cold days. I have just seen this

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/webpoint/webpoint.cfm?bhcp=1&FUSEACTION=main&SHOWMESSAGE=0&GOTOLOCATION=0&MENUSTATE=N#app=7491&2919-selectedMenuVsIndex=0&2919-selectedMenuAccIndex=0&2919-idBrand=-1&2919-selectedMenuLstIndex=-1&2919-group2=&2919-selectedMenuLstIndex2=-1&2919-selectedMenuLstIndex3=-1&2919-counter=2&2919-idGroup2=-1&2919-group1=Search%3A%20mountain%20equipment&2919-tag=false&2919-selectedIndex=5&2919-idGroup1=-1

Would the above be ideal? Or can anyone recommend something else?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Patagonia goose down sweater or vest
Rab microlight
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
o11y, Swop the micro fleece for a monkeyman Smile , but I suspect you tend to feel the cold a little. Confused

Might be worth wearing a vest too over the top of the fleece to keep it close to your body Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have an Arct'eryx fleece of a couple years ago and if anything it is too warm if you incorporate it in to your layers, ended up wearing it more as a casual item.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
o11y,
Quote:

I was at the brink of being cold in my Arct'eryx Stingray shell with two merino layers and a micro fleece.

I'd have been unable to move through cold in that! I do always marvel at how little some people can get away with wearing, i generally have to resemble the Michelin man on cold days!

My mid layer is an Arcteryx soft shell, so can also be used an outer layer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wore my Spyder soft shell under my Arcteryx pro shell once (in Cham, minus baltic and snowing) and got so incredibly warm I had to unzip it at the end of each run. Kept me dry and I didn't get too damp inside from sweat though. It was a great combination for walking on the moors yesterday though Smile I usually keep either an extra merino top or a midweight fleece gillet in my backpack for if the weather turns colder.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i carry a Rab down gilet in my pack. you can slip it on over everything (no need to put it under your jacket if it that cold - the snow will just brush off) if you need an extra layer quickly (eg when getting onto a lift, having a pic-nic etc) and it packs very small
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all your suggestions. To be honest I wasnt cold last week but I am sure that when I go to cnada next year then it will be a lot colder than Verbier was so want to make sure that I am prepared.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Or try a climbing gilet in a synthetic loft material... will not lose too much insulation when wet. Primaloft is a typical example.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wear a cloudveil or marmot soft-shell gilet when it gets cold under my Arct'eryx sidewinder, my wife wears a mountain hardware softshell jacket under hers. These are over a merino or polyprop baselayer and a microfleece
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've also found that mid-layer fleece trousers work well if your ski pants are of the shell variety. I got a pair of Muso polartec sailing ones, with those and a bulking up with merino and mid-layer fleeces I kept very warm in -15 last year.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll second the primaloft gilet - very warm and low bulk. I always carry it Very Happy I used to have an AT Stingray and was fine in Canada at -15 or so with a merino base, Salomon mesh thing and gilet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When it's cold (-15C) I wear a North Face Primaloft jacket under a goretex shell. Warm and more comfortable than a fleece. All you need underneath is a thin Merino baselayer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
New Arcteryx Atom is well worth a look! Very light weight, very warm. http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?Mens/Atom-LT-Hoody Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
o11y,

For me "stoatsbrother" gets it. I use a polyprop base layer, a tight fitting FALKE and seem to be able to wear anything I want on top without getting too hot or cold, it just seems to hold no moisture so never gives a cold feeling and it amazes me it works over such a huge body temp range. For info I use a mid thin fleece and a heavy-weight Hackett shell with the best neck cuff on any jacket I've owned, never owned a ski jacket.

Convinced it's the base that makes the most difference, have fun in Canada.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy