Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courmayeur and surrounding areas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I'm off to Courmayeur snowboarding for a week on 3rd jan and hoped you guys could give me a bit of guidance on how easy it is to get to any of the surrounding areas, Chamonix, La Thuile etc.

I know there is a daily shuttle bus to Chamonix, but has anyone used this service and how long does it take etc.

Also where are the best / easiest places to visit, we'll probably have a Mont Blanc Unlimited pass so will have access to everywhere we can get ourselves to. We won't have a car, so public transport only.

Any other useful info also appreciated.

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dommcg, welcome to snowheads

THere is a bus to CHamonix, runs a few times each day but IIRC it's not great for skiing - we did look at getting it, but it arrives in Chamonix mid morning (10.30 ish), and drops you in the centre of town so you then have to get another bus to the ski area

there's a free bus to La thuile that's much better, leaves from outside the tourist office and drops you right at the foot of the lifts in La Thuile just after they open. the return buses are well timed too. The ladies in the tourist info office were very helpful, it will be worth asking them - Ithink there's a bus to Aosta / Pila but I think you might have to pay for that one - you definitely have to pay for the Chamonix bus and the La thuile bus is definitely freee, but that was with the Caourmayeur ski pass - not sure what the regulations are with the MBU pass, again it would be worht checking, we had to pop into the tourist info office and show our psasses to get free bus tickets you can't just show them on the bus I htink.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dommcg, Is it worth getting the MBU pass if you don't have a car?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the Courmayeur pass includes a day in each of the other Vallée d'Aosta resorts anyway.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, i understand that Courmayeur itself is quite small so i'd like to see a few other places around there if possible. As the MBU is only another £40 or so i thought it would probably be worth it as we could go to Chamonix for a few days, also i think the shuttle bus to Chamonix is free with MBU, but not otherwise.

I'm open to suggestions though, would like to keep costs down if poss. NBT mentioned La Thuile, does anyone know how accessible the other ski areas in the region are from Courameur by bus?

Many thanks guys, great forum.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dommcg, Easy job to get down the Valley to Aosta which has an uplift to Pila (OK walk from the bus stop).

Bus wise, I'd reckon that's as far as you would reasonably go and still ski for the day.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got no bus info as I've had a car when I've been there but I'd definitely recommend a day at La Thuile.

As a town, I prefer Courmayeur but I reckon the skiing's better at La Thuile.

Pila's also worth a day trip.

The only time I've been to Cervinia the weather was foul. It was the last day of the trip and we were on route from Courmayeur to Turin airport. We bought half day passes and gave it a go but after bumping about in thick for for half an hour or so decided we'd rather be sat in the bar at the airport. From what I've heard, we missed some good skiing but should be grateful the fog prevented us a full view of the town.

Are you going with a package operator? If you are, they may well run a coach trip to one or other of the resorts.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I want to go skiing in the Val d'Aosta sometime in the future. I would definetly do a two centre holiday, i.e. spend 3 days skiing in Courmayeur and 3 days in La Thuile/La Rosiere.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dommcg, I would personally do Chamonix in a separate trip, unless you have a car or plan to ski the Vallee Blanche starting Courmayeur side. There's more than enough in Aosta Valley to keep you busy for a week, and much better connected.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy