Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski characteristics by brand

Poster: A snowHead
I've tried a variety of skis over the past couple of years and I can say that I've never tried a ski that has been awful. They all seem to vary - i suppose that's obvious. Last week I had some Dynastar piste skis that were great carvers but would probably a bit narrow for off piste and I got thrown about a bit in cruddy/lumpy snow and they were wobbly at speed. The Volkls and Nordicas I've skied seem to plough through rough stuff easier and feel safer at speed, but I don't find them as easy to carve. Is there something out there that strikes a happy medium ? For an all mountain ski, what is good this year to try? The Atomic D2 seems to be getting good reviews.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
erica2004, before we look at equipment, from this:

Quote:
Last week I had some Dynastar piste skis that were great carvers but would probably a bit narrow for off piste and I got thrown about a bit in cruddy/lumpy snow and they were wobbly at speed. The Volkls and Nordicas I've skied seem to plough through rough stuff easier and feel safer at speed, but I don't find them as easy to carve

might it be that more technique work, particularly on applying and controlling pressure to the front of the ski, could give a different impression of the skis you've already tried?

The Volkls and Nordicas you tried should have -all- been easier to turn than your old pea-soup Atomics.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
erica2004, Dynastar as a brand tend to make good stiff and strong skis so I would agree with comprex, might have to look at your stance on the skis and how you are initiating the turns.

Atomic - Stell girdir type stiffness made for loopy Austrians and Germans who belive speed and GS is the only type of skiing

Volkl - The S class of the ski world big Heavy skis that dispense everything before them

Rossi- French wonder skis that are perfect for everything if you are French great history but a lack of cash has led to stale products

Movment - Swiss Botique ski manafacturer great for Free Ride and stashing money away in swiss bank accounts

Line- Skis for Park rats bug all use anywhere else wink

Elan - Fine Slovakian craftmanship and the great alternative to established bigger brands Have never made a bad ski Cool

White Dot Free Ride -Skis that very few poeple buy but every snowHead has tried and loved them Puzzled

Head -Dont they make tennis racquets? Current Wold beaters on the race scene Razz Great reputaion currently

Volant - I have more money than sense Twisted Evil

K2- Americans Toofy Grin

Fischer - The pretty good ones that no one buys because of the holes in the top and the blac and bright yellow graphics

Please feel free to add below anything I have missed

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 21-12-09 14:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, Fattes13, Very true. When I go out first thing in the morning my skis are a lot more stable. When I get tired/lazy, my skis do chatter more. It would be nice to just casually stand there and not make too much effort. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
The Dynastars last week were too short though at 153cm.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fattes13, that's a really good analysis! what about stockli?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fattes13 wrote:

Atomic - Stell girdir type stiffness made for loopy Austrians and Germans who belive speed and GS is the only type of skiing

Speed and GS is the only type of skiing. I've always had a fondness for the more lunatic end of the Atomic stable. Those big orange suckers from a few years back were great.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fattes13, re Atomic, you forgot snowcross. At speed. Toofy Grin

Oh, and Elan = Slovenian, not Slovakian. Easy mistake to make (bit like confusing Italians with Spaniards Shocked ) but worthy of note as they invented carving skis, IIRC.

And whither Salomon?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What about my beloved Fischer skis ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andyph, Apologies I always do that when I talk about Elans Embarassed

Because I do some work for them I decided to leave that up to sombody else Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

whither Salomon

They usually do after not many weeks, unless you have a model with wood in the core.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Elan - Fine Slovakian craftmanship and the great alternative to established bigger brands Have never made a bad ski

I disagree on the 'never made a bad ski' part. Elan stealth.
And yeah, afaik they invented the ski shape as we know it now.

Stöckli and Kästle: rolls royce of the (all-mountain) ski world. Excellent ski's which cost at least 30% more than any other brand. Still, if I had the money, my wall would be full of them.

Volkl: I wouldn't call them that 'big and heavy'. Most high end elan models are pretty much the same in stiffness. They are much alike in general actually. I doubt anyone would notice the difference between an AC30 ('10) and a Magfire 82ti ('09), not even the people who engineered them.

Blizzard: strong, powerful, often just a bit too stiff to my liking.

Fattes13: so very true @ fisher Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 21-12-09 16:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
German and austrian skis are built for big fat austrians and germans
french skis are built for smaller petite french people
Swiss skis are built for rich swiss people and those they want to fleece
Generic American skis are built for genericans that blandly try to do everything for everyone but dont quite hit the mark.

with the exception of Head skis which are very cool though
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's hard to generalise, especially with brands that make race skis as well as other types.

Volkl do seem to be consistently expensive across the range though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
salespeople keep trying to make me rent dynastars...
loved troublemakers a couple years back. can't remember why now...
why do so many skis look like shite? makes me want to board.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Salomon - Feel great when brand new but after 2-3 weeks use turn into soggy mush.
snow conditions
No such thing as bad skis ... only us crap British skiers ...

I look forward to the day that a brit makes a fortune out of the 'Metro/Maestro Ski' .... it will happen !!!
snow report
erica2004 wrote:
Fattes13, that's a really good analysis! what about stockli?

Their skis have a slightly forward mounting point that many women seem to like...
I love my stockli cheater GS skis and adored my yellow SLs my grey SCs are also nice skis

I'd say my Volkl Racetigers are less stiff than my Elan GSX and SLX...

Salomon - blah!

Rossi - my home ski areas were sponsored by them so all the rentals demos etc were rossi - never seen so many bent/dead skis as at those areas... lots of second hand instructor rossis were bent beyond being useful...

Dynamic - lots like Atomics I think...

Dynastar - loved the little slaloms I hired in Argentierre... nice skis
ski holidays
Quote:

Rossi - my home ski areas were sponsored by them so all the rentals demos etc were rossi - never seen so many bent/dead skis as at those areas... lots of second hand instructor rossis were bent beyond being useful...

Yet the French still think they are the greatest skis ever made Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy