Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dublin Mountain snow - dump report

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Frank ; its the forest trail up to the spink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
frank4short, So you haven't made it to Lug yet this week? any word on the state of the roads in? Weather looks good tomorrow and I'm off work so would consider it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Ross No idea what the roads are like though if my near death experience leaving my parents road this morning is anything to go by probably not good. Was playing driving miss daisy to my mum today so couldn't make it out. I did however manage to per chase a pair of snow chains so i'm not worried about it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
frank4short, were the chains a private sale or in a shop? If you fancy a snowheads trip I'd be up for it, very fit so hiking deep snow won't be a problem!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bought them in a place called Motor Scene off of the Naas Road by Frank Keane BMW. Tomorrow planning on going early with a mate to finish off a line we didn't manage last season. Though might be up for something later on in the weekend.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How much were they?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Ross, €69 for a focus
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
frank4short, went down this morning and my size sold out Crying or Very sad still I got up the hills today, just back in the last hour!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went up Lug yesterday. Chickened out on my hero line. Was a bit too steep & scary to do for my first line of the season. I'll probably go back to it next week once i've had a few more days under my belt. Am taking today off as i'm wrecked after yesterdays 3.5 hour hike up & then a further 1-1.5 hour hike back out after we skied our line.

Planning on going up Djouce tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
frank4short, that's a lot of walking, could you not ski further on the return journey? Which side did you approach from and what was the road in like? May go to Kiltiernan tomorrow as my wife isn't keen on hiking!

Cycled up Stocking Lane this afternoon to see what was going on, an epic snow and slush cycle but I had more grip cycling than walking. Then hiked up higher on the snow covered road. I met some snowboarders at the end of the drivable road section in 2wd cars! I was impressed, but they had snow chains also from Motor Scene! They said it was an easy trip in chains, only other vehicles up there were 4WD messers trying to get themselves stuck! Great fun freewheeling home on 10cm of varied snow from tarmac to slush to hard pack to powder, I kept one foot on the road the whole way down for better stability!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On Friday I had my sister skiing powder after 4 beginner lessons in Kiltiernan and no real snow experience! She borrowed my twin tips

here's the snow conditions (50cm + powder)

Major thaw yesterday and today in Dublin, but still relatively cool 3C, so hopefully snow will remain fresh up higher
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is a band of snow moving across Ireland from the SW, currently snow reported in Kilkenny, Laois and Kildare so Dublin/Wicklow mountains sure to get a fresh plastering, based on the radar expecting rain, sleet or snow in Dublin city anytime soon. Probably rain here but it's in the mountains that counts.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Loving all the news/snowy pics from Dublin/Wicklow Very Happy Coming home to Dublin this weekend. Will get some good walks with views over to mountains and around Eniskerry if I can but main purpose of visit is to see my mum who is 84 and might not understand if I bring skis over Toofy Grin

What are the roads like around south county Dublin/Wicklow like now?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roads are thawing out, but anything higher up will be either snow covered or still slippy. I'd say Enniskerry is fine but up towards Glencree is probably blocked by snow.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 13-01-10 11:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter Ross, ta snowHead
ski holidays
A quote this morning from the weather forum on boards.ie from someone in Annamoe, Co Wicklow on Eastern edge of Wicklow mountains.

'Its total snowmaggeddon outside here. Power gone - connecting using battery and phone, Well over a foot of new snow fell, unreal scenes outside. Snow over welly height and dense wet heavy snow too. Trees down all over the place, its like something out of a movie set.'

Winters not over here yet!
ski holidays
Just found this picture from someone that drove up above Rathfarnham this morning, a lot of fresh snow, maybe a metre according to the photographer! I also read today that a Sky News crew had to be dug out of the Wicklow mountains yesterday after trusting there sat nav!

snow report
Peter Ross, had better check with Hertz to see if they provide chains Laughing Don't think I'll be getting up to the mountains this weekend.
ski holidays
Some photos

Last Friday, Military Road, Dublin Mountains

On Tonelagee in the Wicklow Gap on Sunday, still very skiable

latest report
Was up on Kippure today with my skis!

Very good conditions, hard pack based but soft on top, fast skiing but easy to walk back up. A little new snow overnight meant a few cm of powder also! The snow is all in the gulleys but it is deep in places, the deepest was maybe 3 metres+. Managed to ski from the top to the bottom with only a few small heather and bog interruptions. I approached from the northside and took 75 mins to the summit, but quicker if you come up the tarmac road on the other side.

ski holidays
Peter Ross, good effort. Cool Did you slide down one of the lines in your second picture ? There's a good few strips of snow in the hills above Moffat that caught my attention yesterday but I just can't be arsed at the moment. There's lots of new fresh stuff coming for us over the next few days though. Smile
ski holidays
moffatross, I did indeed, great fun to have decent snow so close to home and no lift queues! The hiking is a little tiring but when you're in a snow frenzy you don't think about it much, but much easier to hike this packed firm snow than knee deep powder. Hopefully will be out again this Saturday. More photos from Saturday below.

latest report
Peter Ross, great shots - haven't been up the mountains much since the january falls - good to see that someone is still making use of the conditions!
snow report
doogo, when I think how much it costs and the time it takes to get to the Alps I'd be mad not to take advantage of local snow. Maybe we could have a Dublin downhill course soon!
snow conditions
Kippure Saturday morning

Kippure Sunday afternoon

Kippure Saturday

Saturday snow was fairly firm, Sunday was fresh powder, didn't ski today but maybe 5 to 10cm overnight, maybe more up higher.
snow report
Fresh snow during the week and rain this morning in Dublin so probably a bit of fresh higher up, hope to go up tomorrow morning and be back in time for the rugby, forecast for freeze overnight so should be in good knick tomorrow.
snow report
A perfect saturday. enjoy.
latest report
Last Saturday's conditions were decent, fresh snow meant maybe 10 to 15cm new snow on top of what's there already, it wasn't super light stuff but it was in pretty good shape. Got up the mountain by 11.30 and temperature just right for perfect turns, as the day went on warmed up considerably so quit a little early as snow was getting very soft by 2pm. FL should be below zero at night all this week and humidity is relatively low so snow should stay in good condition, as the sun is up earlier also better ths time of year it's best to be on the mountain early to enjoy fast skiing!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Photos from last Saturday on Kippure

ski holidays
Amazing spring weather in Dublin, blue skies, warm sun but also cold at night, perfect ski conditions!

Video from last Saturday

http://youtube.com/v/gdwIj7hR9z0
latest report
Sweet.

What's the pitch and distance on that?
snow report
Mike Pow, Not enought for the walk up Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Mike pow, it's a blue run only one steeper section but can go fast on firm snow. The distance maybe 1000m continuous snow and with one or two short ski off and on bog traverses maybe 2000m. The vertical drop is from 750m to about 400m. Was up again Saturday but snow a little too soft for my liking.
snow conditions
Thanks. I'll take it Smile
snow report
This evenings trip report after last few days snow. Drove up military road, road is dry and clear as far as lough bray but not passable after that. Snow is in decent order, wind packed. Depth varies so need to pick spot to slide but kippure gullies look well packed. Hadn't time to go up kippure so built a little kicker beside the road and had a bit of fun for an hour. Temp on leaving at 2030 was -1.5c but wind chill made it feel much colder. Snow depth varied from maybe 20cm to waist deep in drifts.
latest report
Not the best resolution as it was on my iphone, but you get the idea, just above Military Road looking towards Kippure at about 8.30pm yesterday evening.

snow report
Peter Ross, Couple of the guys are going ski toruing across Seahan, and up to Kippure today not sure how the snow cover will hold up as it is quickly dissapearing from Three rock and djouce but Kippure cover still looks good.
ski holidays
Fattes13, I wouldn't worry about Three Rock and the like they always lose their snow first, too near the sea, ski touring is probably doable as snow cover will be no less today than yesterday as very cold overnight but as you can see from my pic above the snow is not covering the heather in a lot of places so would need to pick route carefully.
snow conditions
snow pics Dublin 31 March, 1 April 2010

31 March

April 1st

ski holidays
we could have the next Snowheads calendar made up entirely of photos of the British Isles! snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy