Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I need a hospital in Sestriere.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi ,

Today I had a mole removed and apparently I need the stitches removed in a week. Which, due to Sod's law, is when I'm in Italy skiing! Does anyone know of a hospital or doctors surgery in the area I could go to or is there none?

Thanks a lot,
Henry
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry...can't help.

But you did have me worried by the title of the thread. I had visions of you sat in an internet cafe, with a broken leg, asking snowHeads for help Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ha! I thought someone might have thought that after reading the thread Wink Sorry if I got your heart rate up for no reason.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is a clinic in Sestriere which should certainly be capable of this sort of thing. If you are using a tour operator, ask the rep to point you in the right direction. Otherwise ask at the tourist office/hotel front desk etc.

If you really do need a hospital (which I doubt), then the usual one used for skiing casualties is in Pinerolo, which is almost an hour away by taxi.

Alternatively, you could always DIY....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are bound to be loads of medics of one sort or another in your hotel. In my experience, you can't move for the b*ggers in ski resorts.

I do wish this site would stop censoring perfectly reasonable words.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Henners, Depending, of course on the location of the said wound, a sterile scalpel would cut them nicely and then a quick pull and thats it. However, most medics like to examine the wound to ensure that it has healed properly and shows no signs of infection etc. The easist solution may be to ask if they could delay stitch removal until your return.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure but I think the nearest major hospital is in Briancon as that is where the Olympic hospital is to be based. The only other one that I know is in Susa tel +390122621212.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The doc today said I would need them removed in a week otherwise you can get slight scarring from them being left in. I've read on the internet 3-5 days although the doc said a week but I suppose its different for different types. Thanks for the advice, I suppose I'll just go to the hospital medic, I just hope their stuff is clean and they know what they're doing..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Henners wrote:
I just hope their stuff is clean and they know what they're doing..
Well, we're hardly talking open heart surgery here! snowHead I think the Italians might just about be up to the task of removing a few stitches without exposing you to the risk of gangrene... wink You could always take along a bottle of tried and trusted TCP and some Savlon if you don't trust their peculiar foreign ointments....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, sorry, I didnt mean to insult any Italiens by that last statement. I just have visions of scarey school medical people with rusty diseased equipment, for some reason.

Anyway, I was just talking with my sister and she said she could do it for me if need be. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Henners, nail clippers work fine in my experience. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Henners, There is a trauma clinic in Sestreiere however you would have to pay.
Suggest you visit the nurse in your GP practice and obtain the following
1 pair medium disposable gloves
1 pair disposable forceps
1 Stitch cutter
Steri-strips (just in case for reinforcement)
As Richmond said there are always Medics/Nusrse around etc just ask around. A few beers after the procedure may be cheaper than a clinic bill Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Henners,
Linds, is right, did mine myself, easy-peasy, but don't try and take the above in your hand luggage if you're flying as security will take it off you.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B, I had visions of someone wrapped around a tree off-piste tapping out this thread question on a Blackberry!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I know a friend who might be a doctor but would neither confirm or deny this advice.
If the wound looks OK just take them out yourself.
You need tweezers and a scalpel blade, small scissors may be OK but can be difficult to get under the thread. The ones on a good penknife would be fine. Sterilise with Vodka if you will. If the wound (I presume only a <2 cm cut) has not healed properly by 7 days it won't anyway, and will heal by scarring how ever long you leave the stitches in.
Any worries then see the quack in Sestriere and pay your cash.
If its a bigger wound than this or in a precious area then maybe you should get it done properly.
ski holidays
Its on my face and it is around 2cm. How much would I be looking at to pay?
latest report
Henners, facial sutures are much finer and smaller and may need finer instruments to remove. Please do not attempt to remove these with a scalpel blade or penknife you could potentialy cut off the knot and leave suture material under the skin.....abcess, pus, pain=not good Shocked
You have must only have 5-6 stitches? It shouldnt be expensive as will only take a couple of minutes. You could try presenting your E111 and see what they say snowHead
ski holidays
Yeah, you're right about the number of stitches. Hmm, does that mean the medic might not accept my E111?
ski holidays
Not sure Henners, ask the rep when you get there they may be able to suggest something but I wouldnt have thought it would cost a lot to have them removed if they wont accept E111 snowHead
latest report
OK, thanks a LOT everyone for your advice. I dont know what I'd have done without you Blush
ski holidays
Cost shouldnt be the question, you need medical attention.

If they wont accept E111 & they ask for money, pay it get a receipt & claim on your own insurance.
latest report
stanton, I wouldn't have thought that travel insurance would cover this, wouldn't it be classed as a pre-existing condition?
snow report
Ray Zorro, correct, you (Henners, ) cannot claim on your insurance to get the stiches removed as you already have them, theoretically you should be able to claim on the E111 but it might just work out easier to simply pay someone locally to do the job, a competant doctor or even a nurse should probably be able to do it
latest report
On the face, definitely go to the surgery or find if you've got a doc ( or nurse who does stitches) in the chalet / hotel. Docs like taking stitches out of small healed wounds (except in certain areas wink ). In the UK the practice nurse would do it. If there is no problem you have been ripped off if they charge more than 20 E I would think.
snow report
The E1-11 was not accepted by Doctors when I tried (in two different ski resorts in Austria) as they both operated a Private Clinic type facility. It is more likely to be accepted in a public hospital ... which may prove costlier in the end if you have to take a trip out of resort to get there.
latest report
Henners, Old bean - we may just have to put a team together, to got to Italy on a 'Stitch Removal Mission'! On the law of averages though I would say, you are bound to find a doctor, or nurse skiing in whatever resot you are in - just ask in each bar/chairlift/gondola, etc, etc, "Is there a doctor in the house?"
latest report
If you havent got Sickness insurance then your National Goverments Department of Health should pay from your contributions
If they wont accept the E111 . Take the name of the Doctor,Clinic, Pay get a receipt when & you get home claim back of your National Department of Health.
snow conditions
[quote="D G Orf even a nurse should probably be able to do it[/quote]
treading on dangerous ground there mate, most nurses far more competent at removing stitches than most doctors (unless you have a pet plastic surgeon!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

even a nurse should probably be able to do it

DG Orf, Definatly dangerous ground Shocked

Quote:

unless you have a pet plastic surgeon!)

helenjane, Why are plastic surgeons always good looking? Well they are where I am Laughing
ski holidays
Linds, sadly I have to agree, although most of them are also well aware of the fact!
ski holidays
I wasn't implying lack of skill on the part of any nurse, mearly that I'm uncertain as to what nurses in Italy might be allowed to do under Italien law compared to nurses in the UK, I'm sure in a practicle sense they are all more than capable of removing stitches
ski holidays
D G Orf, Nice try, but when in a hole - stop digging! The nurses ain't buying it!
ski holidays
D G Orf, you'll need a bigger spade to get out of that one!!!!!
snow report
D G Orf, See 'Yellow Pages' under MECHANICAL EXCAVATORS!!
ski holidays
Oh I don't care anyway NehNeh
latest report
D G Orf, you might if you ever need sutures removing, or any other nurse applicable procedure!!!!!
snow report
helenjane, the way I feel at the moment I don't really give a .... I challenge anyone to look after a close relative with Alzheimers and its associated problems on a 24hr day basis, last night I had to get up at 2.15 and 5.30 to help my mother with toilet problems and the associated cleaning that resulted, now I haver to go out and get some stain remover for the carpet before that's ruined, upsetting the odd nurse or two is the least of my worries at the moment Sad
snow report
D G Orf, whoops, sorry, thought this was light hearted conversational forum. Obviously had no idea about your circumstances. Hope you both have a better night tonight.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy