Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short term laptop internet access in France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

I'm not used to internet access abroad except for occasional Wi-Fi in cafes/airports etc. Does anyone know a simple reasonably cheap way of getting temporary internet access via a USB dongle for a laptop? I'm talking about France and using it for short trips only.

I've searched the web and seen the Orange 'mobicarte' page - even with reasonable French all the tariffs and deals are complex.

Can I simply go into a shop in France and buy a dongle + access deal for a reasonable fee?

Any Snowheads France experts know how to do this? Please, not too technical replies!

Thanks for any advice!
Paul
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
velodocuk, It ain't cheap in France

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56868#1366016
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think you can get one for 30 euros a month but not sure you want to pay monthly? depends how often your in France!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Auchan or Virgin France generally have the best deals. However the deals are hard to understand unless you speak mobilephonese. There are pay as you go deals but as thefatone says, it ain't cheap. Getting an enema is more pleasant than signing up for a French mobile phone package. The whole thing is a cozy little cartel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Find your nearest McDOnalds.. Free WIFI!!

(alternatively buy a beer in a bar and use theirs)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is also the FON network which may be useful to road warriors. Either that or leave the laptop at home.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Every French bar seems to have free wifi.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I might have a solution for you. I have an unlocked mobile broadband usb dongle which will take any sim card (which I would be willing to sell you). You could then get a french sim card for france, and one of the uk. Pretty easy to set up. There are a couple of options in france, although I don't know the market that well there, but I am in holland now and I imagine the market is at least a little similar. You buy a pre paid or pay as you go sim card then either top it up to pay for a "bolt on" which gives you unlimited data or you pay per MB.

In the UK you can get a sim card free as long as you buy a top up on it, if you get orange get it on dolphin, free internet with a £10-15 top up, ish.

If that all sounds like giberish pm me and I will try to explain better.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a usb wifi adaptor which provides 3-4 times the range (300m?) of normal laptop wifi. This means you can pick up a wider range of networks from across town, free or otherwise. A 2-3m usb cable is useful too, so you can hang it out of the window.

For example:

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/index.php?CatID=32&FamID=60

or make your own:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantenna
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You have a few options.
OKay background forst I use 3 mobile for my roaming BB. I use O2 for my contract phone. I was in the O2 shop recently and on their Blacbery phones at £28/month they have a euro-wide package. Their sale should start next week.

All other roaming BB's will cost an absolute fortune so don't even consider them eg £3/mb.

You may want to consider Orange or T mobile (I think they are now the same company). I think T-mobile have a dual uk/eurowide package.

The only reason I use 3 is their coverage is good between glasgow and edinburgh onthe train and weirdly I get full speed at my mother in laws up beyond inverness. ????? A little lonesome square of high bandwidth in the middle of nowhere.

cheers
bob
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Redbeck, which hawking tech do you use in the list
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy