Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Channel Tunnel Queue

Poster: A snowHead
In the queue and have plenty of time to post something up. It's insane. 2 hours so far and booths not in sight. Obviously missed our 8pm slot. This has nothing to do with the weather, this is sheer weight of numbers. Can't imagine what the Boxing Day queue will be like. Shoulda got the ferry. Whole point if the tunnel is speed. No info of course. Miffed.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That sucks. I went through twice this year and drove strieght to the booths both times.
Another 24 hours and you'll have forgotten all about it.

adrian
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, at least if you get delayed at the airport you can drink Very Happy Sorry it's a really pants start to your hols - remember - the only way is up now. There's naff all on telly here so you're not missing anything Laughing Enjoy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Sorry it's a really pants start to your hols - remember - the only way is up now.

Shirley, if you are in the queue for the tunnel, then the only was is down only is down. And then hopefully back up again.

We're cheating: heading out of the London Charter Airport on Sunday.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The radio said the terminal at Calais was shut because of too much snow and the service had been suspended , this was at half six pm hence the Q , good luck and don't get too cold .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Still sat here. Can now see the booths. Says "service suspended" - evidently French police asked Eurotunnel to stop sending vehicles through because of mayhem on the severely weather-effected autoroutes. This must be happening to ferry passengers too. So, nothing to drink or eat, need a pee and everyone else in the car feels same way. Ho hum.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller, Sad Sad Sad Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, bad luck, I hope it has cleared by Wednesday lunchtime.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, Laughing Laughing that's very thoughtful of you
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shimmy Alcott, cheers Shimmy !! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Bode Swiller, bad luck, I hope it has cleared by Wednesday lunchtime.

I'll have a word
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey, I still prefer this to Ryanair
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shimmy Alcott, Laughing

Bode Swiller, hope you get on your way soon without too much hassle
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller, good luck with the rest of your journey.
snow report
here have a beer..

ski holidays
Glad I'm not on my way anywhere this evening Toofy Grin Hemel tomorrow morning though!
latest report
Bode Swiller, gutted for you, mate. Just got a message that a few from our club, heading over for training prior to the English Championships are in the same position... Sad Sad :
snow conditions
Commiserations Sad
ski holidays
I was going through last year with a school group and the delay was horrendous - we didn;t get on until about 3.30am in the morning. And the kids didn't want to go to sleep before the tunnel! By the time we arrived in France it was getting light. No sleep, and a 16 hour drive to AUstria ahead of us. It was my birthday too, rubbish. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Thanks for the warming words and the delicious beer. I'm having a real one right now. Got turned around after over 5 hours in a standing queue. Got to call at 8am to rebook for tomorrow (some bloody hope). Ferries grounded too. So, lucky for us that we have friends only 30 miles from the tunnel so we now have beds for the kids at least. I think this is going to be a very trying weekend for lots of people. There were huge numbers of roof-boxed cars clearly hoping to go skiing. Anyway, don't have nightmares.

Eurotunnel are appalling at giving out info. Being told simply that the tunnel was closed "indefinitely" wasn't useful.
latest report
Well according to BBC News there are 4 trains trapped inside the tunnel, with 2000 passengers on board. Given when this thread was started, they must have been there some time!!!
snow conditions
sitting quietly in gatwick departures here, waiting for something to open and an upate on flight times
ski holidays
i'm thirsty...
latest report
Oh dear. What terrible timing for bad weather. What a horrific night for people in those trains in the tunnel - couldn't even run their engines to keep warm, though I guess skiers would have had plenty of warm clothes with them. I have just got the car out of the garage, prior to driving down to Geneva to pick up our son and family. They are flying from Manchester and it looks like the snow won't hit there till later, though there's bound to be huge knock on congestion from yesterday. Been snowing lightly all night - lovely fluffy stuff, will all look very pretty but nowhere near enough, I suspect, to get everything open.

Much of France is affected by bad weather - it's going to be a long, slow, drive down. Getting to Calais will just be the start of it. As I trudged to the garage this morning I had a fellow feeling in the breast for all those rookie transfer drivers, digging out their vehicles, ready to start the season. Some good news? Despite the snow-forecast prediction of heavy rain on Tuesday, meteo France reckon pluie/neige limit will be 1500m, which is a lot better.

Good travelling to all out on the roads today; take it easy, foks. I hope everyone will have a good holiday, once they get here.
ski holidays
not thats in any consolation to those that were stuck, but I gave up with the tunnel and went back to the ferries because when the tunnel goes wrong, it goes wrong big time and with me usually on it.
snow report
check http://www.eurotunnel.com/
the took the whole website down, just one announcement on it.

Quote:
Eurotunnel services are currently suspended following the breakdown of four Eurostar trains in the Tunnel. Eurotunnel is doing everything it can to assist Eurostar with the removal of these trains from the tunnel and regrets any inconvenience to customers who had expected to travel this evening. For customers with reservations we advise you not travel to Eurotunnel at this time but to call the 24 hr automated customer information line 08444 63 00 00 for the latest advice and information. Customers without tickets are advised not to make their way to Eurotunnel as they will not be able to purchase a ticket.

Further information and travel advice will be published as soon as it becomes available.

Thank you for your patience.

Eurotunnel
ski holidays
stevev, wrong type of leaf or trains trains that are not made to run when cold?

I can expect that from the british rail services but the French have some control of this project so it should be better NehNeh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't remember hearing news of E* trains breaking down due to the cold previously.

I had been thinking how nice it'd be to get away skiing for Christmas.... ! Commiserations to all who have travel disruption and I hope things get sorted so you can get to your destinations before too long.
snow report
Ferry ports were closed as well. Hopefully it warms up by Monday, I am driving home from Germany
snow report
Bode Swiller, will you be able to claim on your insurance?

Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, what a horrid start to your trip, I hope you get through ok today.

In fact I desperately hope you and everyone else turned away get through ok today because we're booked on the 0420 train tomorrow morning. Sad
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Hope things go a bit better today. Cool
snow report
Managed to book a ferry Dover Dunkirk. Given up trying to rebook tunnel. Next issue will be negotiating Dover which I hear is grid locked. But this is STILL better than ryanair.

So, I'm confused - ET blamed the weather and the French police. Now they are saying it was a Eurostar issue.

£114 for a one way ferry feels like a bargain provided we can get to it.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I will consult my broker.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Good luck, agree with you, still better than flying. Cool
latest report
Bode Swiller, good luck BTW and sorry to hear of the problems.
snow report
my brother , wife and Ned the dog were on the M25 this at 4am this morning when they saw the signs saying tunnel shut , nightmare , just talked to him and they have again just left west london for Poole where they have managed to get a ferry to Cherbourg , think they have been lucky
snow report
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20091219/tuk-extreme-weather-traps-eurostars-in-c-45dbed5.html

Quote:
More than 2,000 passengers have spent the night trapped inside the Channel Tunnel after four Eurostar trains broke down in wintry weather.

It is believed the trains - all headed to London from Paris - failed as they left the cold air in northern France and entered the warmer air inside the tunnel.

I wonder if that particular piece of cr@p engineering was British or French!
ski holidays
Colin B, The BBC seems to have missed the obvious point that the tunnel has operated in cold weather before - I wonder why there is a problem this time round.

Good luck with your journeys to everyone travelling today.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy