Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Railway to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
I want to try the train to Austria for a short break in February. Why? I fancy a change and I've gone off airports in a big way.

I'll be leaving on a Thursday and coming back on a Monday.

Is this practical?
What would be a good resort to minimise changing trains?
Can anyone suggest a route?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
that's a lot of travel for a long weekend.
probably London-Paris, Paris-Zurich (might have to change at Basel?), Zurich-Innsbruck (which at least gives access to St Anton etc.)

try: www.oebb.at or www.bahn.de
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try www.seat61.com
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to read: "Saalbach and the overnight sleeper train: a first-timer’s candid trip report"

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1137573&highlight=#1137573
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Derek Jackson, that's a brilliant website - thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think there is a direct sleeper from Brussels called the Bergland express (or similar) - not sure it runs every day though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why Austria? It's a long way away. And you go by France and Swizerland on the way...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc, I think you just answered your own question wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
martintheclark, depends where you're going in Austria. I've looked at going to Bad Gastein by train as follows

London to Paris on Eurostar
Night train to Munich
Munich to Bad Gastein

The total journey was about 15 hours but you spent most of that asleep so looked good. Pretty expensive though.

cheers
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops wrote:
abc, I think you just answered your own question wink

How so?

OP wants a "short break". That doesn't go well with a long rail journey when there're plenty of other choices much closer.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
martintheclark, why not take a cheapie flight to Munich or Salzburg and a cheap train onwards from there? I've done UK to Austria by train a couple of times and short and fast it ain't! For a short break the cheap and cheerful flights are the best options for Austria. Even France or Switzerland are a PITA by train.

Thought about Scotland? - I used to do Bristol to Scotland with the train quite often - leaving on a Thursday evening sleeper and waking up in the mountains on a Friday morning. Came back Sunday night and straight into work on Monday!

Smile

[edited for spelling]

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 21-12-09 11:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc, passing through France to get to Austria for skiing - why stop at all wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, actually you can avoid France by going through Belgium (avoid that is all bar that top NE corner where the tunnel is, before the pedants get up in arms! wink ).

Cross to Zeebrugge on a passenger ferry, hop on a train to Brussels and link into the European ICE system and you can avoid it completely if you so wish.

I quite like passing through France personally as I can waved out of the window like Queenie at relatives in Pas de Calais (in St Omer and Lille) and go Neh-jah NehNeh Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, maybe even Amsterdam and then onwards ?, great train links to the east that way on the ICE if i remember correctly
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, I thought there used to be an ICE train direct from amsterdam to interlaken ost (handy for Wengen etc.), but it doesn't seem to show up on bahn.de
regardless, for such a short trip, it makes more sense to get as close as possible by plane and then do last bit by train/bus.
edit: only 1 change. seems to be amsterdam-frankfurt, then change on to a train from berlin-interlaken. hmm only 5 hours from here to there.
edit #2: it's not austria either, but there's skiing there.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
abc, passing through France to get to Austria for skiing - why stop at all wink

Why not? Wink

Then, there's Switzerland, especially for a 4 day break! Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy