Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yad Moss

Poster: A snowHead
Yad Moss should be operational on Saturday and hopefully Sunday weatehr permitting.

The really heavy showers were a bit further to the south but the cover looks reasonable on the webcam and the north easterly direction is good for drifting across the fences though the wind is due to change to north westerly over the W/E.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
its been thin and fast in the pennines today. Limited drifts on any fences but quite windy outside now but from nw. Could do with a refresh of the pistes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Report and pics from the slopes today

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1639

As OAP says, thin but fast skiing yesterday and today. The coverage is slightly dissapointing because the westerly winds are tending to scour the slope. Should be a good direcetion at Raise and Weardale however and things should quickly improve there.

Its staying very cold this week with the possibility of further snow tonight and perhaps during the week. The tow won't run tomorrow however because of a lack of operators but it may run again on Tuesday. A change of wind direction later in the week could quickly reload the runs for the better. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Significant improvement this morning. The tow is running and it looks like its going to be a great day with a good overall cover of cold snow, a low wind speed and excellent visibility.

Shame I'm at work then Sad

http://csc.tayloredtechnology.com/ski/current.aspx
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We visited Yad Moss today (Tuesday 22/12/09). It looked promising from the start with approx 10cm of windblown powder in the garden.

The 120 mile drive from St Helens took about 4 hours, conditions were interesting, heavy snow most of the way.

The further we went the more snow there was, it was starting to look seriously good

As we got nearer the Cumbria Massif came into view

The sun even came out, at times we could have been in the Alps

No 1 Daughter believes in looking good even in the middle of a fell Laughing

We had a great day, snow conditions were changeable, boiler plate ice, deep pockets of real powder, grass and the odd rock. Lift had a couple of stoppages, with the club members working their socks off to get it running again. Overall the day was fantastic, great sking, quick lift and good weather. If you havent been to the fells, on a day like this its well worth a visit.

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another good day according to the webcam:

http://csc.tayloredtechnology.com/ski/current.aspx

Yesterday the bullwheel was iced up first thing. Took about an hour to de ice it. Hopefully shouldn't be any problems this morning and with a bit more snow overnight and lightish winds, should be a good days skiing and riding up there today snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does anybody know how the road in is fairing? Would love to go to Raise at the moment but know our car won't get up the Kirkstone pass in these conditions. Is that B-road south of Alston ok or have you ( landlockedpirate, Peter S, ) got 4x4s or snow chains on?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kirkstone pass was shut yesterday so if i were you i would go up to J40 m6, then turn left onto a66 then left again on the road that takes you to glenriding.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I took J40 to get to Raise yesterday and it was fine, slow in places but clear.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the B6277 should be OK but I think hartside was closed today. More snow overnight and light snow tomorrow from the east. The perfect direction.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wigan, The road from J40 to Alston was closed yesterday morning, had to go upto J43 and drive back down into Alston. The road from Alston to Yad Moss was passable by 2 wheel drive cars, but there is 1 steep section that can be a bit tricky. Its a lot easier with a 4x4, I do carry chains but havent had to use them in England yet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
om heading up yomorrow, can nayone tell me where i can buy some ploes from as i have non, or do you think i would be able to borrow some from somewhere up there? does alston have a ski shop??? cheers snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
went up there today and had a wonderfull time, piste was in fantastic conditions, lots of fresh snow and powder and not very tracked out either, 1st time up there and will be going back, what a great day out, only 124.9 miles and 2 hour 15 mins from home, BONUS!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, Glad you had a good day. Did you get any poles? For future reference, I can lend you some wink Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yes thanks halfhand, there is a little place 3 miles away that hires out all the equipment, £15 for boots poles and boots. not bad really!!! really great conditions, all runs were complete, no grass poking through and powder snow!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Nice, wonder what conditions are like today. How much was a day ticket?
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, glad you made it up there. Sadly I had to return down south on Christmas Day so didn't make it up there. I've still got my eye on the east face of Helvellyn Smile
snow conditions
Liveezy wrote:
Nice, wonder what conditions are like today. How much was a day ticket?

for the slope its £15 for the whole day, i paid the same for ski hire aswell, at the place down the road, alston training camp i think it was called.
ski holidays
I was coming down the M6, back home today at about 9am after my 2 day seminar was roled into 1 (was bloody cold going up yesterday the external gauge on the car hit a low of -9 about 40 miles South of Glasgow). It suddenly dawned on Me going over Shap, wish I'd brought my gear, I could have had a look in at Yad Moss.

Might have a look up there tomorrow, anyone know if it's open for sure.
latest report
Conditions looking good, just found this
http://youtube.com/v/S041h83mcdI

But no mention on site whether it's open tomorrow. Wifey has just reminded Me that I promised to take Her out tomorrow as She has been working all Xmas, when I suggested this and a nice hearty Pub lunch on the way home. Response "Are You bl00dy mad, You're going to Tignes in a few weeks", She doesn't get it Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob, couple of friends of mine went ski touring on Helvellyn yesterday, their pics looked fab. Conditions were reported to be superb.

Ricklovesthepowder, Where are you in Manchester? I've often fancied a trip to Yad Moss but as we're in Marple (south east) I reckon it would be closer to 3 hours each way for us, and as I detest driving I've never bothered. If you fancy doing the driving in exchange for petrol money...
snow conditions
Photos from Yad Moss, Monday 28th.

If you click on them they should open in another window full size

There were a lot of people out, so some waiting for the tow, but plenty of snow to go around Very Happy

snowHead Plenty of powder snowHead

Lovely weather

And a beautiful sunset

Kel They always put the current status on this page: http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/snowreport.php or on the answerphone: 01228 561634 Looks like they won't be opening on Wednesday as more snow is due Razz
ski holidays
wigan, Cheers, when I checked it still had not been updated from yesterday. Volunteers useless Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
wigan, - Fantastic shots - that snow is in very good condition - I'm glad I live up North Toofy Grin
latest report
I'm hating being stuck at work down south Sad
latest report
Sideshow_Bob wrote:

It's not your fault, someone has to be there. Laughing Laughing. 10 cm forecast tonight, think I will take a look up at Rossendale tomorrow, at least I will be sliding and it's only 15 mins away Cool
snow report
Kel wrote:
Sideshow_Bob wrote:

10 cm forecast tonight, think I will take a look up at Rossendale tomorrow, at least I will be sliding and it's only 15 mins away Cool

will need some at rossendale! was at a friends in waterfoot today, its all melted and horrible Sad
ski holidays
all the manchester people we sorting something for thursday? or any other before the 4th jan ??
i have a 4x4 pickup, seats 5 and all the gear 5 can need with snow tyres fitted, so roads aren't a problem, live just off j13 M60 or i'll join anyone else going to these places and share the travel costs , Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
51st state, I could be up for that with my son. We are just off the M61, so on the way. I'd be happy to drive, but your set-up sounds better and I'd be happy to contribute to costs. snowHead
ski holidays
51st state,
I might just be up for that, I have a Focus Estate with roof mounted ski rack and have chains,. Not commiting at this stage as I may have to go into office, but will know tomorrow.

M65/M61 jct good for me. All these Southerners have their Hemel get together's, time us flat cap brigade did something.

I will post tomorrow when I know something more definite.
snow report
geepee,
Cross posted, lets see wo else is interested.
snow report
found this and its closer , anyone been ?? http://www.mountainboarding.co.uk/ski/index.htm
snow report
51st state,

It states now closed for skiing, I came home from Scotland this morning and I reckon conditions will be pretty good at yad moss especially if they have another cover. Coming over Shap there was a real good cover at the side of the M6

Whos the dork who went up Scotland dressed in a suit and didn't take his gear Puzzled should really be slumming it in a hostel at Glenshee right now Sad
latest report
Kel wrote:
51st state,

Whos the dork who went up Scotland dressed in a suit and didn't take his gear Puzzled should really be slumming it in a hostel at Glenshee right now Sad

oooppps Laughing
will check on here tomorrow , looks like there could be 3/4 of us already for a trip upto yadmoss or raise, wink
snow report
nbt wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, couple of friends of mine went ski touring on Helvellyn yesterday, their pics looked fab. Conditions were reported to be superb.

Ricklovesthepowder, Where are you in Manchester? I've often fancied a trip to Yad Moss but as we're in Marple (south east) I reckon it would be closer to 3 hours each way for us, and as I detest driving I've never bothered. If you fancy doing the driving in exchange for petrol money...

yes i will let you know when im next going up. probably would be close to 3 hrs, maybe 2.30 in good conditions. will let you know when im next heading up, i dont mind driving. snowHead
ski holidays
Kel wrote:
51st state,

It states now closed for skiing,

Not to far away and considering this over the weekend rather to Castleford.
Now shows as open. Has anyone been and is it any good?
latest report
stevew,
Enter the postcode into google maps and you can see it is on Keighley Rd near Ogden reservoir. I must have passed this place a hundred times over the years and I have never noticed anything.
ski holidays
I may be interested. . . .

I'm a bit further South (Stafford) but it on;y adds an hour.
snow conditions
Yad Moss web-site is saying it will open at 10:30 tomorrow with fresh snow. May well be worth a go.
snow conditions
Not for me tomorrow, have to go into office for a few hours Crying or Very sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy