Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone bought a ski they don't like the look of?

Poster: A snowHead
Did you learn to love it?

I'm testing a few skis this weekend hopefully, including a couple from the K2 Apache range. I have to say I don't find them attractive skis to look at. Am I shallow?

They seem to do very well in reviews and have been recommended to me both by the shop and people on here.

If they're markedly better than the others I've got a problem - should I buy them and hope I fall in love with them?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Higs, do not be ridiculous.

Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
Higs, do not be ridiculous.

Puzzled

Don't be ridiculous.... if they're the best ski, why wouldn't you buy them?

or...

Don't be ridiculous.... why are you even testing skis you're not going to want?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Higs, my interpretation is Don't be ridiculous - who gives a rat's ass what it looks like. You're skiing not boarding.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaddyLouLou, exactly. I have never been tuned on by the graphics on my Missions - I have the 2007 version. But they have been great skis for me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Higs, yep. The last few years I've been skiing these. The dirty beige with a logo that looks like someone's bled all over your skis looks crap when brand new, and gets dirtier and tattier after about 2 days skiing. They do ski fantastically off-piste though, which is the most important fact for me - although performance on hard pistes is definitely something to endure rather than revel in.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Higs, yes. I had a Rossi 9x race carver - the first ski i ever owned. The graphics were completly rubbish. I must admit to being slightly disapponted they didn't look cool (i was an 18 year old girl!) but i still bought them anyway!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe I need to act my age then
(and not like a teenage girl)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Maybe I need to act my age then
(and not like a teenage girl)

Yes. And to answer the question in the title - Yes. snowHead I haven't learnt to love them - but they're good skis. I don't actually feel any need to find love with a pair of skis...... wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah I got these some years back:

Who cares, what they look like. If you are that fussed over lift queue steeze take up something else.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
narc wrote:
Yeah I got these some years back:

Who cares, what they look like. If you are that fussed over lift queue steeze take up something else.

In my defense, one thing I not interested in is whether other people like my skis.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the ski graphics on many skis are appalling and for that reason I would be put off buying them. I particularly hate the noo skool look of skis and I would probably not wish to own a pair of skis which I didn't like the look of. I prefer skis to look like skis in the sense that they don't need to have some kind of image on them, I think those Volkl skis look OK - I'd give them a go, I like the graphics to look like they did when there weren't many skis marketed at skiers.

In my opinion the ski manufacturers have got it wrong, they think skiers want skis to be like snowboards (in graphic terms) which I'm not sure is true. I prefer a ski graphic which looks functional, as if the money spent on the ski didn't go other graphics but went on the technical research into the ski.

I would select skis based on what they looked like, initially anyway. I've heard that Fords are really nice to drive but I don't like the look of them, so I wouldn't buy/own one, skis are surely the same. We buy things because we like them as well as their practical use.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First time #1son saw my Pilgrims, he said "I'm not coming skiing with you on those." But he did.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Higs my wife will be using these for the first time in March - wonder why they were cheap? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother, those look great!!
latest report
Higs wrote:
Did you learn to love it?

I'm testing a few skis this weekend hopefully, including a couple from the K2 Apache range. I have to say I don't find them attractive skis to look at. Am I shallow?

They seem to do very well in reviews and have been recommended to me both by the shop and people on here.

If they're markedly better than the others I've got a problem - should I buy them and hope I fall in love with them?

I've got Apache Crossfires, bought in 2007. The current versions are more orange but mine were red and black. And pretty tasteless ski-chic. They're so quick I'm only a blur on them anyway. They're the best skis I've ever used, and I have that lovely warm feeling at the lift queues that I've got a damn nice pair of skis, no matter who's looking. Besides most queues are full of people on minging hired Heads and Rossignols anyway.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, what are they?
ski holidays
Higs, I know exactly where you are coming from. When I visited the bootfitters back in May, the first pair the chap brought out after measuring my feet were shocking pink! I told him I didn't care if they were the best boots in the world for my feet, there's no way I'd be buying them. Thankfully, there was a black pair that did the trick too.
snow report
RobW, I bought a pair of Pilgrims from kiwi1 in the summer. I had a choice of 2008 or 2009 model, identical except for the graphics. As both graphics were pretty dire I went for the 2008's as they were cheaper. Every time I glance at them in the bedroom they grow on me a little though.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, That's cool, did you have to send your picture in to the manufacturers to get that graphic ? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Who cares what they look like? Put a few turns in and the decks will be covered in snow anyway. If not then they will be once you've checked out some of the piste-side fluffy stuff.
Hideous graphics probably makes them less likely to be half-inched at the morning coffee or lunch stop (assuming you brushed all the snow off).
latest report
stoatsbrother, Miss Demeanors ??
snow conditions
Test them.

The only time ski graphic make ANY impression at all is when they were leaning at the wall at the shop. Once bindings are mounted and on your feet, they don't look half like what they look in the shop! So whatever objecctionable graphic they have, you stop noticing them rather quickly. Besides, they'll get scratched up soon. So no more worry.Wink
ski holidays
Most of the skis I've ever bought have been totally fugly.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, thems the ones. They were cheap... I mean CHEAP... 185 euros delivered new

Geepee NehNeh
snow report
The new Scott Crusade are not particularly appealing to the eye but, boy, do they ski well?!!! Razz
ski holidays
d-star legend pro rider...didn't like the graphics but...... WHAT A SKI....

okbye
latest report
abc wrote:
Test them.

The only time ski graphic make ANY impression at all is when they were leaning at the wall at the shop. Once bindings are mounted and on your feet, they don't look half like what they look in the shop!

Quite true - once I was on them they looked fine.
And skied jolly nicely too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, it was a 2006 K2 Apache Recon.

I had decided to get some new all mountain skis. I did'nt look at any reviews or sales blurb at all. Went to a couple of shops and told them what I was after, ended up testing about 6 pairs. The Recons felt perfect, so despite the fact that I thought they looked really bland (All white model) I bought them any way.

Best pair of skis I have ever owned, so good I havent replaced them for 4 seasons, yes I have learnt to love them.
snow report
snowpatrol, same here, but prob an older version than you have, the vomit orange original LPs. Got em second hand from a forum member this time last year and wasn't about to turn them down when picking them up in person just off Oxford St based on looks
snow report
When I demo'd these in the previous years colours (rather bland) I fell in love with them. Then I saw what I would be getting..... even better Toofy Grin

ski holidays
Still debating Toofy Grin
snow report
who said grapics dont matter

snow report
On a BASI course I did once, the trainer was very proud of the graphics on his skis. They were the Rossi Scratch (twin tips). On the top there was the silhoutte of a lady. On the base was a silhouette of a "cold" lady!!
snow conditions
barry, Good Head Laughing
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, yep, those are the ones i had...mine were the ones with the bright orange and the dynastar in gothic...those were the REAL legend pros before they softened them up for the masses...initially i respected them, because they made you respect them, but then respect grew to love, purely because they were the best and most demanding ski i ever rode...waiting on a pair of this years XXL's being delivered...they look schweet ......ps...i always regret selling the LPR's and i could make room in my quiver for the originals if you're looking to offload them wink

okbye
ski holidays
Scarpa, surely these were custom-made wink ?

http://youtube.com/v/rrSiIqCpxB8 - that would surely be an appropriate soundtrack to match those skis Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
schneeflocke, Perhaps Nordicer created them specially for me? But I prefer somthing a little more Industrial for the skiing soundtrack
http://youtube.com/v/zYK8HE995Gw &
http://youtube.com/v/CRykZSngYcY&feature=related
ski holidays
Scarpa, it's not actually about liking the music is about the lyrics matching the graphics wink
latest report
You could always spray them up/ sticker them if they're really minging. I'm considering doing that on a pair of Dynastars which ski well but are hideously ugly. Personally I like to have skis that look good too, why not?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy