Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets and Boots: How and where do you transport these?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi! Have finally succumbed to helmet and boots and am about to fly w Easyjet on Sunday w limited luggage allowance. Where do you more experienced Snowheads stash your helmet and boots? Do you/can you take them as hand luggage? If not and you stow them in the hold - how do you protect the helmet in partic? I know... I keep asking stupid questions.

Another one is: how the **** do you search for topics on the forum? I am trying not to ask same questions but when I put in word helmet and searched, nothing came up. As you can see I deserve the name of Techno Numpty I have acquired in my family!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tinabf, the search tool is pants - use google instead (won't search the apres zone though). try googling something like "helmets site:snowheads.com"

A helmet is unlikely to fit in the easyjet hand luggage dimensions. Boots depends on which airport you are going from rather than which airline usually - given that easyjet has a fairly relaxed hand luggage weight limit...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tinabf, The default on the search tool is to search topic titles only (although it still should return some with Helmet). There is a radio button to choose between titles only and searching all text - the latter should obviously be the default, as it is what most people will want and expect.

As for an answer - well "boots in hand luggage" has come up so often it should be a FAQ. Not all airports allow it (Grenob;le being a case in point), and even where the airport does, individual airlines may not.

Easyjet do allow it if the airport in question does.

The helmet is much lighter, but is what I prefer to put in hand luggage (assuming I have sufficient weight allowance) just because I know it won't get bashed around without my knowledge.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I presume you have to pay extra to put your boots in the hold in a normal boot bag with Sleasyjet?

In which case, you'd probably be best to pack all your hold luggage together in one large holdall under 20kg. If you use a holdall rather than a suitcase, you'll probably get more in and the bag will weigh less to start with using less of your weight allowance. You can pack clothes and stuff round your boots and lid to protect them. Seems simple enough to me, although I have a separate boot bag (and ski bag) for which I pay £15 extra ski carriage (with Thomsonfly not EJ).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In the boot of my car Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I usually just clip my helmet to the outside of my hand luggage, never had a problem, and often results in finding some other snowfiend to chat to for the journey!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It appears to be the actual security staff that decide what you can take through, as they have no way of knowing who you are flying with, but then it also depends on the individual security member because there doesn't seem to be a set protocol, which is all very confusing for the customers. I emailed both the airline and the airport about the question of boots in hand luggage - needless to say neither have responded! We only pay for one ski carriage, but put two in, and take one ski boot bag as part of that carriage fee, which leaves us with a pair of boots - I put them in my hand luggage, and have taken them through Manchester and Salzburg airports 5 times with no problems. I was once asked to remove them so they could see inside them, but that's all. The problem is, you don't know until you are standing next to the x-ray machine if they are going to ask you to leave them behind, and I was ignorant of this until reading on here that this could happen - now I'm worried. If you read the small print about what is not allowed in hand luggage it never mentions anything about helmets and boots, so you could always argue this point, but they hold all the cards, and who want's a debate with security as you are about to leave the country Sad

They should make it clear on the airport websites and the airline's own sites, then this problem would disappear - it's not rocket science - we know nail scissors are a major threat to mankind (but not glass bottles and combs with metal spiked handle Puzzled) so why can't they decide if boots and helmets are potential weapons?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boots in boot bag in suitcase. Helmet wrapped in spare fleeces and stuffed with clothes in middle of suitcase. Last time I stuffed clean ski socks in my boots as they haven't been worn that often, and don't ming much yet. Might not this year as suitcase has more space than weight allowance generally...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boots in suitcase, helmet in backpack (i.e. hand luggage - no problem
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tinabf, Check the airport as has been said before its the airport that will have the problem with boots and helmet in hand luggage. I pack mine in my main luggage bag, making sure the helmet is well protected.

Searching I use google, seems to narrow it down more that the site search
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Easyjet's FAQ states clearly that "Ski boots will have to be checked in as normal hold baggage subject to hold baggage fees and cannot be carried as hand baggage due to security reasons." So I guess that clears that one up!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a split roller and one side holds boots, gloves, socks etc and my lid sits confortably at one end of the other roller wiith my googles stored inside the lid.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll be taking my boots in my suitcase and helmet as hand luggage. Also traveling with easyjet. Helmet will go in my bootbag as hand luggage (without boots) with some of my clothes. Flight is at 6.50am tomorrow, time to get packing. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy