Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski goggles fogging up...

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone help...my ski goggles mist up something wicked. I have seen anti-fog spray - but is this any good? I don't really want to be wasting my money on something that doesn't work.

Any ideas?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, buy some decent ones!

Seriouslly, better goggles have double lenses and better vents so they dont steam up. Wearing goggles with a helmet also helps a lot as does not putting the helmet up onto your forehead

Never clean the lenses with anything other than the cloth the goggles come with for as long as you can

Anti fog solution will help, but you can get nearly as good a result using washing up liquid or raw potatoe and rinshing well

Any dirt, grease or scratches act as nucleation points for moisture and start the misting

Taking them off or moving them away from your heat and moisture while on the lifts will let them dry out a little, pop them on as you move off downhill, the airflow will keep them clear. if you wear a helmet, popping them up onto the helmet while on the lift works for me (Mind you I wear transitions glasses under mine so I still have sunnies on the lift)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never put your goggles anywhere other than over your eyes or in their bag. Never touch the inside of them with anything other than a special lense cloth.

Get a decent pair of goggles. I'd suggest Smith personally.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheap goggles are probably just about the worst thing you can buy. As madmole and frank4short have said - get some good ones.
I'm getting some Oakley A frames for my birthday.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try shadestation.co.uk - Oakley A frames from £60 inc p&p. Just bought some Stockholms. I ordered them Monday evening & they were delivered this morning. Website has a few glitches - search "a frame" etc in the search box as selecting "oakley" doesn't work.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Caddy, do you wear a lid or a woolly hat? If a wooly hat - get a lid and the problem will almost certainly go.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use Rain-X on mine on the outside and Rain-X Anti-Fog on the inside, never steam up and any rain/snow just falls of the outside.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Caddy, if money is tight- instead of buying one expensive pair- get 2 cheap ones and change them. (that sounds like a tip from 'Take a Break'- not that I've ever seen it of course)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
madmole wrote:

Anti fog solution will help, but you can get nearly as good a result using washing up liquid or raw potatoe and rinshing well

now that is a tip from Take a Break
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
1 If you wear a mask or turtle neck over your mouth either skiing or on the chairlift hot air rises alot closer to your face ie below goggles and up

2 keep the goggles off the top of head when not skiing, head loses most heat

3 use washing up liquid

4 Purchase decent goggles, Oakley A frames are an excellent recommendation
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Once they have misted up, dry them with a warm air hand dryer in the loo (or hair dryer in the room). If you use a cloth, it just moves the moisture about.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just keep moving, mine only fog up when I stop.
When I start again the next 10seconds are interesting but they clear up that quickly.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dwarf Vader wrote:
When I start again the next 10seconds are interesting but they clear up that quickly.

That explains a lot. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the replies - I do wear a lid and have Rayzor goggles. I haven't actually tried them out and about yet though...only in the house Laughing so they may be better/worse out in the open.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman wrote:
Dwarf Vader wrote:

That explains a lot. Laughing Laughing Laughing

indeed Wink
snow conditions
I notice Rayzor do their own anti-fog stick for a fiver. Hmmm.
ski holidays
Quote:

I.m sure it works-but really, a raw spud in my ABS pack?
snow report
summerskye wrote:
I.m sure it works-but really, a raw spud in my ABS pack?
I believe a nice pungent sausage is preferred. It gives the rescue dogs an incentive when searching after the balloons fail to inflate. Although rubbing a greasy sausage onto your goggles may not provide optimal vision.
snow report
I didn't see anyone mention fit on face due to face shape. In Norway last week (-24 at the bottom of the main lift in Hemsedal!) my wife had a misting problem and swapped goggles with me. Misting problem resolved. My googles are Rossignol somethingorothers and hers some other cheap brand.

Before anyone jumps and says "ah ha, that was because they were cheap therefore no-good" I had best mention that her googles didn't mist up on me once, despite being raised onto my helmet on the odd occasion.

Face shape and seal around the edges are critical in my experience along with the required double glazing air gap.
snow conditions
Try not to run too hot. Mine steam up if i get too hot - like after long push/walk - or after a wipe out and some snow has got in. In either case i'd go with the hand drier tip to get the moisture out of them.
ski holidays
Caddy, Mine are Julbo, paid a reasonable price for them but less than Oakley, the OH made me buy them as she was fed up with me moaning about fogging, had some single lenses ones. The shop that sold them to me made me promise never to put them on my forehead, only on my helmet.
snow conditions
Caddy wrote:
Thanks for all the replies - I do wear a lid and have Rayzor goggles. I haven't actually tried them out and about yet though...only in the house Laughing so they may be better/worse out in the open.

They will almost certainly be better out in the open, and better again when actually moving properly.

On the odd occasions that my goggles mist up it is always when I stop, and as Dwarf Vader has found, they clear quickly once you start again.
ski holidays
I run hot and my A frames never mist up on me. But... I picked them because they fitted my face perfectly... that is the thing that seems to make a lot of difference once you have double lenses and vents taken care of.
snow conditions
Buy a helmet. It solved all the fogging issues I had.
latest report
The Smith goggles are about the best I have come across. I now have a slightly effete helmet with a visor. Its the dogs whotsits.
ski holidays
I tend to fog goggles really easily... in warm damp oz this is always an issue... I use carrera goggles - with LOTS of vents(top and bottom adjustable)... they do not fog as easily... I'm told briko makes a similarly highly vented goggle... I have smiths that I use in colorado - work OK there but I don't think I'd try them in Oz - less venting...

I tried bolle - bad something else that I forget - also bad...

For me the Carrerra are the solution
snow conditions
NEVER touch the inside of the goggle.

Make sure they fit your face.

Make sure they are double lensed.

Make sure they are high volume enough to have good ventilation coming in the top.

Get the ones with the vents in the top (and bottom if poss) of the front surface near the edge.

You don't need to spend a lot of money (read: expensive designer brand) to get decent ones.

Did I mention NEVER touch the inside of the goggle.

If you do touch the inside of the goggle only use an optical quality microfibre lens cloth to wipe them clean. Or throw them away and buy another pair.

NB I haven't tried using Rain-X Anti-Fog on the inside and Spyderman is often right about things (except cars).
snow report
Polish the insides with a smidgen of washing up liquid - works for a couple of days at a time, the soap residue cuts the surface tension of the water. It REALLY works and is cheap as chips. I use it all the time if I'm having problems. Make sure you don't have any particles on the inside of the lens and use a lens cloth though to avoid scratching.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The main factors in fogging are moisture/humidity and the temp difference between the inside of the lens and the outside conditions. Inevitably all 'traditional' goggles will fog because even the best anti fog coatings will be overwhelmed at some stage - especically if you sweat and it's cold outside. The newest ones have built in fans and even a heated lens. This combination solves the problem!
ski holidays
Buying expensive googles is a load of ol blah! Twisted Evil

My goggles cost £7.99 from LIDL and have done two trips and never so much as fogged up for a second. Its simple physics really avoid a combination of moisture and warmth and then cold. Warmth causes moisture to evaporate and then when it hits cold lenses it condenses ie. fog. Keep googles nice and dry inside. Either have them on your eyes or rested correctly on a helmet or hat with plenty of ventilation.

Come on you ski snobs have a pop at my LIDL specials if you think you're hard enuff! Ha ha NehNeh
snow report
slikedges wrote:
NEVER touch the inside of the goggle.

This is probably an obvious question but what harm is touching the inside of your goggles actually supposed to do? I've got Oakley A Frames and had the lenses replaced and upgraded when the last lense cracked. I'm sure I've touched the inside of the new lense loads of times without really meaning to but haven't noticed any harm?

Incidently they only fog when I stick them on my forehead (wearing a woolly hat) so instead put them round my neck if needs be and that seems to solve the problem.
snow conditions
jirac18 wrote:
Buying expensive googles is a load of ol blah! Twisted Evil

My goggles cost £7.99 from LIDL and have done two trips and never so much as fogged up for a second. Its simple physics really avoid a combination of moisture and warmth and then cold. Warmth causes moisture to evaporate and then when it hits cold lenses it condenses ie. fog. Keep googles nice and dry inside. Either have them on your eyes or rested correctly on a helmet or hat with plenty of ventilation.

Come on you ski snobs have a pop at my LIDL specials if you think you're hard enuff! Ha ha NehNeh

Fair do's for not getting sucked in by the brand names! What are the lenses like in terms of glare/bright light/low light?
snow report
Can't comment on the LIDL ones, but as a side note I just picked up two pairs from Aldi. At a tenner a pair, i thought they must be worth a punt. When I checked the receipt at home, it turns out I paid the princely sum of £2.50 a pair.

If they do the job okay, bargain of the week for me. If not, the loss of a fiver won't exactly reduce me to tears.
ski holidays
They're available in blue or amber lenses. I have an older pair with amber lenses given to me by a friend which are ok but I prefer the blue tint ones I bought two years ago as an all round goggle. They are fantasic in bright conditions and I believe at least average in low light. We had a real flat light day in La Plagne end of last week and they worked fine.

I'm sure extra money brings better quality but to be honest I do just fine on budget and I've never once thought whilst skiing that I must go and blow £80 plus on a fancy brand
latest report
Hi, these guys are actively looking for product testers around the world. Not commercial, research based, working with ski injury research lab in Scotland. Check out please, and be on the team http://www.elk-sport.com. Could help improve safety for all.
ski holidays
jirac18 wrote:
They're available in blue or amber lenses. I have an older pair with amber lenses given to me by a friend which are ok but I prefer the blue tint ones I bought two years ago as an all round goggle. They are fantasic in bright conditions and I believe at least average in low light. We had a real flat light day in La Plagne end of last week and they worked fine.

I'm sure extra money brings better quality but to be honest I do just fine on budget and I've never once thought whilst skiing that I must go and blow £80 plus on a fancy brand

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Took me less than one day of skiing to realise exactly the opposite - bought some A-frames and been happy ever since (well until I bought my new helmet recently, but thats a whole other thread...)
ski holidays
stuarth, Maybe your head's a weird shape? NehNeh Laughing
snow conditions
Just had a quick look for the Oakley A-frames, and they vary greatly in price depending on the lens;

£60ish for the cheapest 'Persimmon' lens
£135ish for the most expensive 'H.I. Amber Polarized' lens

with others in between too!

So why the huge difference in cost? Are the £135 lenses twice as 'better' than the £60 ones? Puzzled

Joe Smile
ski holidays
TangoFiver, A lot darker with pretty mirror finish Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I bought Dragon MACE goggles and thought I'd go for their high end ionised lens, got them in the sale for about £80 reduced from £125. On the first day up the mountains, the ionized surface started to come away in spots... Saw a few others with the same lens who had spots all over the lens, don't have a clue why this happens, either way, turns out the expensive lenses aren't always what they're cracked up to be!

I bought a new "normal" cheap MACE lens to replace the ionized one and fingers crossed they don't "spot up", I'll have to take a photo to show what I mean, but seriously, after the first couple of hours using them the first couple of spots started to appear, by the end of the week, they were so bad I gave up using them, in fact squinting eyes in blowing snowfall had better vision! Was not a happy bunny
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy