Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

beginners in Stuben,where to go and what to avoid,help?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going with friends to Stuben(Arlberg).2 of the group are very early intermidiate skiers without much hope for improvment due to stubborn refuse to take lessons.Is there any blues in Stuben where a people can spend a day without getting into too much troubles?What pistes to avoid?Should we take them to Lech? Any recommendation will be very welcome Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Book them into lessons. If they don't book the don't travel with them again - nothing worse than being shepherd to a bunch of 'friends' that are slow/rubbish and not interesting in improving.

Take them on a bus to lech and let them loose on blue 34 above the town.

There are some blues around stuben which IIRC are relatively ok, although it does depend a bit on the definition of early intermediate..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mil46, Took the family there this year (having skied the Arlberg many times). Only a couple of runs around Stuben but they are sooooo quiet and great fun in my opinion. Bottom half of Red/Blue 2 (??) is a forest track that zigzags down but can be avoided by heading towards Alpe Rauz then cutting off before you go over the bridge over the road. Even if you do go over bridge simply take the T-bar and walk past the pylon - this will take you on the lower part of the massive blue (blue 17 I think) run back down to Stuben. The ski school in Stuben is very quiet so you get a very good pupil to teacher ratio - even get them in for one day and they'll show them the ropes so to speak.

The skiing around Lech and Zurs is also ideal for early intermediates. Can't ski to from Stuben but buses are approx 1 an hour from memory. More frequent if you ski to Alpe Rauz and get a bus or taxi from there.

One to avoid is of you're skiing to St Anton from Stuben (by taking the Valfrahger chairlft at Alpe Rauz). The Steissbachtal is an excellent run and very easy HOWEVER if you hit this after 2/2.30 it is crammed and an early/nervous intermediate could be put off. As I said though eaislly avoid the trouble by skiing it early enough.

A good day would be to ski to St Anton as described above, then ski around Rendl then hit the Mooserwirt or Krazy Kanguruh (which you could ski to by taking the Galzibahn back up or by taxi) then take a taxi back to Stuben wink

What hotel are you staying in? We stayed at Hubertushof and thoroughly enjoyed it. My sister also went this year and they stayed at the Mondschein which again was excellent
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett, This is really a pain in the,say...neck,but they are a good friends and agree to stay for a day at some nice place,as long as we will not leave them alone for the apreski!boabski,We are booked into Mondshein for a week for an obvious reason of Stuben being much affordable then St.Anton.Thanks you both for an advice,because the website is not giving much about the pistes.Will appreciate any suggestions for the other 6 of us,who have no particular problems with anything on piste,but very little experience off piste.Almost 15 years of skiing in Austria and first time in St.Anton! Isn't this amasing?! Blush
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mil46, I'm not sure where you are looking, but this online interactive ski maps seems pretty good to me:

http://ski.intermaps.com/skiarlberg/en_ost.html

Cheers,

Greg
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, thanks for the link.Maybe it is only me,but many times found piste maps misleading.There are blue and than you can find yourself on a very crowded or thrashed/moguled run,which is more frightening to some people than quiet red. First hand expirience of the people here is much more informative than websites!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with boabski. The long blue 17 Valfagehr is a great piste. It's long, wide not too steep and has some great off piste beside it to allow you to get some fun while they pootle down working on their technique. It is served by a fast 6 man heated chair too and there's an off piste trail under the lift to provide some entertainment while you go back up. The snack bar at the bottom (by the car park) is very cheap and cheerful too. You could spend a whole day just on this piste. It's even in the sun for most of it!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sidneyreilly's website is excellent http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/ As you will see he seems to like Stuben a bit, and good for the lowdown on some apres in Stuben. Willis Pils stubl (?) was busy when we were there, and Haus Schneider serves an excellent pint of Zipfer - it's also the place I discovered the delights of Heisse Witwe's. The food in the Mondschein is supposed to be up there with the best and has one Michelin star (I think - certainly highly commended by Michelin anyway)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boabski,thanks for an excellent link.It is already on the desktop for everyday reading Very Happy Helps to pass next 4 weeks till going! Btw,it is probably STUBERL in german and what is Heisse Witwe?
Tiger2, Thanks!As to the off piste trail under the lift,i am afraid i will be the one supplying the entertainment Blush
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

what is Heisse Witwe?

Warm plum liqueur served with a dollop of whipped cream on top, with a little cinnamon.....yum yum
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boabski,never tried this.Usually it was Obstler with small peach inside,very good,but you are describing something i have to try!Another good reason to go to Stuben Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy