Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long did you do lessons for?

Poster: A snowHead
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
We're off to Oburgurgl on Saturday
Have a good trip. Who's going to mow the Russian Ladies in your absence ??? wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is this a skier thing?

The first time I threw myself down a hill on a snowboard I did not know what I was doing so the next time I took a lesson (one on one) then another one the next day. By then I was up and running and it was clear to me and my instructor that the only way to improve was going to be to practice. A few years later I rode for a week with some pros and picked up a few valuable tips which have helped to improve my riding (hardly lessons though).

Now every day I spend on the slopes I am learning and fine tuning my technique. I really don't think lessons would help me much, in fact the single best thing I could do to improve my riding would be to improve my overall fitness.

Maybe snowboarding is (as I have always suspected) just easier than skiing but I really think the cost of ongoing lessons would be better spent on a mountain guide. What do the other riders here think?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
playdreamer, not sure - after two weeks lessons I felt confident on blue runs. My suspicion is that I should have started ski=ing independently after 2-3 weeks and then maybe returned to lesson for things I was having trouble with or if there was something new I wanted to learn. I've done one 3 hour lesson on a snowboard (at Castleford). I certainly felt I made much more rapid progress than I did when I started ski=ing. As with you improved fitness would probably be the biggest boost to my ski=ing, and I suspect this is even more the case for snowboarding - where there is an awful lot more sitting down/standing up. I did some gentle off-piste around my 5th week
on skis and found it hard going (fantastic fun though). The problem I've always had with lessons is that I want a quite detailed physical description of what I'm trying to achieve - and this is difficult when you're in a class and the instructors first language is not english. In the off-piste I really didn't know what I was trying to achieve.

kuwait_ian, I'm sure Alan and admin can keep them at bay snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
The problem I've always had with lessons is that I want a quite detailed physical description of what I'm trying to achieve - and this is difficult when you're in a class and the instructors first language is not english.

Agreed. While I can see that there is a social appeal for some, the idea of "ski school" as pushed by British TOs has always struck me as a waste of time and money for anyone serious about wanting to learn to ski or ride.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
playdreamer, actually one of the appeals for me is social - after the first week it became obvious that it wasn't the 'optimum' way to learn technique - but it was generally fun. The quality of the experience depends on the group you're in and instructor. I have fond memories of "Andreas the sheep farmer", who taught us for our first week and our 5th week. He did ski touring between his beginner and intermediate teaching weeks and so when we got some fresh powder his first instinct seemed to be to take us for some gentle off-piste. snowHead

The British TO's are trying to make a complete package - and my feeling is that giving the option of a week of group ski lessons will maximise the amount of fun people have (fun not ski=ing technique) - certainly in the early stages. It's only since I've chatted with people on snowHeads and, previously, SCGB that I've realised there are other, better ways of enjoying a ski=ing holiday. I'd still consider doing a weeks lessons - but nowadays I'd prefer to go for a couple of private lessons - with a 'named' instructor if possible.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I must be one of the ultimate lesson takers - between Jan 10th 2004, and Tuesday last week I took about 45 group lessons (over 74 (?) days of skiing). BUT, it means that I went from being a 'never ever' skier to being a good advanced skier. snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pollittcl, Quite! Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Half a day of lessons, never been on skis before --- and later that day I went on a solo off piste run!!!

Of course that was because I was staying in Tignes Le Brevierre, it was April and most of the snow had melted so I skied down the road (often on a piste only 2-3" wide!!) until the snow ran out entirely; hopped over a wall and made my way across a field, up an embankment and onto the bottom of the red run where I snowploughed my way to the base.

Excellent first day Very Happy
Very good for building confidence!

Since then I've had small-group instruction that's averaged about 25% of my skiing time (1/2day every couple of days). That'll probably go down in a few years but for now it seems right.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've always either had lessons every day of a trip or none at all. Some have been brilliant & I've learned loads, some I haven't learned a thing (ESF lessons - never again) - but I've always enjoyed them. Thinking of trying something in between this year - a couple of shorter lessons through the week. I find that if I don't have lessons I just cruise round all week & don't push myself or learn anything new. A lot of it depends who you ski with though - I love to ski with people who are better than me - I copy them & try slopes I would never dream of trying. I'm sure if I was left to myself I would just be pootling round the easy reds or blues the whole time. Some people learn and improve on their own, some people need a bit of a push - I'm in the second group!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pollittcl wrote:
I must be one of the ultimate lesson takers - between Jan 10th 2004, and Tuesday last week I took about 45 group lessons (over 74 (?) days of skiing). BUT, it means that I went from being a 'never ever' skier to being a good advanced skier. snowHead

I must be another one then - spent about 50 to 60 days in lessons this season snowHead
I definitely need a push sometimes - especially when it's off a huge cornice! Shocked snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually - a literal push is sometimes what I need. The 'I can't do this' point at the top of a slope is the worse bit!! Once I'm hurtling down the hill, I'm usually fine.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had lessons until I was confident getting around on my own. Two weeks in France then skied independently then a couple of more weeks in Austria.

I got the feeling I was going over old ground. I never knew what standard I was supposed to be. I believe the numbering system for grades is different between France and Austria.

All this 'Go up that hill and ski down' and then being allocated between instructors and possibly moved on later. I could do without that.

Also if you are in a group and some people are not having lessons it can be difficult to meet during the day.

I also had private lessons for snowboarding. A group lesson in Austria was hopeless.

Last ski lessons I had was Ski Esprit in Whistler. They were recommended and I had them during my second week. They really were excellent - but it was part guiding, part instruction.

I would still have lessons if I could guarantee a benefit. However, I would think twice before paying top dollar in advance for say a powder tuition week. You could get to the resort and find there was no powder.

Private tuition is pricey.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That's it, I'm completely done with lessons for a while now. I reckon the 7 weeks of lessons - both private and group - now stand me in good stead ! We've just come back from Courchevel and we had a private lesson and a 2 day (afternoon) clinic with New Generation. We were level 6 for the clinic which worried me slightly. In the group there was one guy who was an instructor for a dry slope centre, one guy said he was a 'seasonnaire' (whatever that is?), another bloke who'd never had a lesson in his life, a woman who'd skied for 10years, my husband and me. They all wanted to ski off-piste and moguls. Puzzled Anyway, they were all cr*p. Apart from me. Toofy Grin Their position was dreadful and they could not carve a turn to save their lives. I did some very nice turns off piste. wink Not that I'm bragging or anything....
Anyway, goes to show - lessons are very important.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Latchigo, Not here! Shock
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Latchigo, Not in Andorra either 30E per hour for 1-2 people! Bargain
snow report
Latchigo,
Quote:

All this 'Go up that hill and ski down' and then being allocated between instructors

So you'd rather we didn't know how you ski, and then you'd end up in the wrong level lesson, and have a miserable time? There's nothing worse than being the best or the worst in the group!
ski holidays
Short answer - I took lessons for about 4 weeks before I felt comfortable going solo on the mountain without an instructor (I did actually go solo before that, but didn't enjoy it and felt very fearful as my skill level just wasn't up to the task). My last lessons were a week of daily 9-5 group lessons in Dec just been. Since then I skied a week in Jan, and a week in Feb, and am going again this Easter. Haven't taken lessons since Dec as I've felt comfy enough on the mountain on my own, and that I now need the time to practice. However for my next trip thereafter I'm keen to include private lessons or a clinic for steeps/moguls.

Basically, you keep going back for lessons for as long as you think they will help you improve, assuming you want to improve. In my experience week-long group lessons are best for newbies (say until you're confident skiing parallel on most blues), private thereafter when you know what you need to improve on. But everyone's different.
ski holidays
Manda, you'll have seen my rather comprehensive Mogul thread...the only problem is I don't know what they'll say if I come back having not skied a mogul field Shocked
snow report
Ian Hopkinson, yep, had a gander! wink well, even worse than saying something, they might say nothing at all..... Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy