Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reviews say K2 Recons are 'damp' - Is that good? Piste performance? Speed?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am a level 5 Intermediate 5'9, 88kg, age 57 late starter (3rd season). Tried a few skis at the Ellis Brigham test at MK and fell for these (v. Xwing Tornado, Crossfire and Storm), as they turned / rode beautifully / felt so incredibly stable. Got some of this season's Recons ex demo @ £ good.

Reviews makes me wonder whether I did the right thing, as they appear good for the kind of conditions you get on the indoor slopes (soft snow, lumpy). How about on hard piste and ice? Has anyone tried these on the slopes at speed and ... what exactly does 'damp' mean?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
forwood, if you like'em that's the main thing. I've used them in vivo and they're fine. They're positioned as "all mountain", in other words piste and off-piste, so in that respect they won't be as sharp on hard snow and ice as say the Crossfires, but if your technique is reliable that shouldn't be a problem.

If anything they'll probably encourage you to explore off the side of the piste, which is a good thing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
'Damp' means it doesn't ring or buzz with sharp shocks.

Skiing irregular hard-frozen lumps is thereby far easier, should one enjoy such a thing . Toofy Grin

'Damp'-ness is usually reckoned to take -away- from soft snow feel, but, as you didn't find that lacking why worry?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Damp = boring wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey, get Jon to tune those edges and wax the bases properly and you'll be whizzing down those pistes at top speed!

They're a great all round ski and there's a reason they get highly rated year after year. Thing is if you're a good all rounder the trade off is that they don't shine in any one area.

But toward the end of a good day on the mountain they'll still be easy to live with and be great fun till the very last run and the guys on the more single minded stuff'll be casting envious sideways glances.

Go and enjoy em...... after all, all that really matters is getting out there! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This is why buying an 'all mountain' ski based on 12 degree groomed snowdome gnar isn't ideal! That said, it is pretty hard to go too far wrong these days as long as you buy a ski appropriate for what and how you ski - I'm sure they will be fine.

Damp or lively is just the feel of a ski and comes down to preference. Lively skis feel very energetic and snappy to ski while damp feeling skis are very smooth - it's to do with the ski's construction. I've skied very damp feeling skis (dynastar mythics) and very lively skis (almost any fischer race skis) one isn't worse than the other.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mine are 2 years old and I love them, however they did encourage me to go off piste and I now find I want some "Fat Boys". Rented a pair of Salomon Lords for my off piste course last year but found they were good on piste as well so may look to go even fatter this year. But love the Recons still (in case they read this and get jealous!)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all. Reassured now and if tonight ends up a big dump will try em down our road which narry gets the salt truck and almost a half mile green! Laughing I'd have preferred to have rented to try on piste but going to £Courchevel in Jan, the only place I found that would do these would set me back about £150 for one week!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
forwood, Had mine for a few years now. Love 'em!

Quote:

How about on hard piste and ice? Has anyone tried these on the slopes at speed

Many times....they are absolutely fine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i had recons and quite liked em... should be good for an intermediate at 88kg
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Assuming you are talking about K2 Apache Recons, then the only thing that has got me off them is the fact that I sold them! I bought quite a few skis in the meantime, but always gravitated back to the Recons. They are a very good ski, and if one reviewer found them "damp" then that is their opinion - with which you may (or may not!) agree.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy