Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Novice Ski Boot Question - Bootfitting

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

I have decided that i'd like to get my own boots for this year, I am only a novice with 1 weeks experience but have two trips for 2010 planned already.

Last year I did not get on with my rental boots very well at all, they were the old 'rear entry' design and gave me lots of pain in the calf and a bit in the arch of my feet.

I've done my research and everyone seems to recommend a professional bootfitting rather than popping down to the local S&R for a moulded insert.

I've spoken to two different boot fitters and both have said that given my low level of experience they are unlikely to have any suitable boots for me. This is a bit of a catch 22 in that I'd like to do the right thing and get a proper fitment but they don't seem to be able to supply me with a suitable boot, which leaves me with going to S&R and not getting a proper fitting.

I got the impression from the stores that it was only the more advance skiers that bothered with a proper fitting. Puzzled

As a novice should I not waste their time and get some boots and a basic insert made? With my little experience should I just put up with the rental boots?

I'd appreciate your thoughts, I have an appointment booked with a fitter but I'd happily not spend the £££ it will cost if I am taking the wrong approach.

Cheers Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sirius, If you're convinced that you want to do more skiing, and the fact that you have two trips planned seems to reinforce that, then yes, you should get boots properly fitted. You've spoken to the wrong boot fitters, if that's the advice you've been given. Where are you based ? We might be able to point you in the right direction.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with Sirius - have been 4 times in 2 years and up to now have rented. Almost every time have got through 2/3 or more pairs until finding one that I could live with.

Decent fitters will sell you a pair that work based on your foot shape. The softer ones (low flex) tend to be recommended for novices but if you're serious about making this your sport, you won't stay there for long, and a higher flex (100?) will last longer.

I went for one of the Saloman CS range. Like you, I did lots of homework; took ages in the shop and eventually went home with cusotme footbed (mmm pricey!) and a pair that were really a bit too narrow. They were ok in the shop but after several hours wear at home and on indoor slopes, they'd hurt like hell! So I took them back for a little stretch in the key places. Now they're great!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flex is more directly related to Flexion in the skiers ankle than with level of skier, although the marketing might lead you to believe otherwise. Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can appreciate your loathing of rental boots. I have done 3 weeks and every time boot rental was a nightmare and I got blisters, and in one resort, I felt that I wasn't always in control of my skis. I recently bought boots and had them fitted properly by CEM and they are great. They fit my feet perfectly and allow me to ski with precision and comfort. As I only have 3 weeks experience but plan to ski more (as you do), the bootfitter sold me boots that might be a little above where I am now but I will 'grow into them' pretty quickly. I have tried them out in the fridge and they were great, but noticably stiffer than any rentals I have had. I didnt really find this a problem and can't wait to put them on again.

I think it worth buying boots and getting them fitted properly, although it might depend just how 'beginner' you are? Some beginners after 1 week on the snow have only just started moving away from the snow plough and are most comfortable on greens and blues, while at the other end, some beginners are skiing parallel and tackling reds and blacks with confidence. I am guessing that this might play a part in selecting the correct boots?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the feedback so far,

I am from Farnborough in Hampshire so not far from London.

I thought I progressed well in my first week, my friends who have a great deal of experience said they were surprised how much I learnt. I havent done any reds or blacks but am comfortably parallelling on blues. Although its a bit untidy at times Smile More tuition needed.

I was hoping that my own boots would help me as with the rentals I found them too tight in places, too loose in others (around the heel) and generally a bit distracting especially when my legs started to ache like mad.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought boots before my first winter week, as I would not have been skiing otherwise. I couldn't ski for more than an hour or so without having to remove boots, and attempt to regain sensation in my entire leg from mid calf down. I had skied one blue in summer, but was sort of parrallel.

I got them fitted by CEM - and he was fine with the fact that I had only skied for one week (and half days in summer at that). Given a chronic lack of flex in my ankles, my boots aren't low flex - so they should be fine for a while... Footbeds are definitely a good idea, although one error I made was not pre-wearing my boots enough, and going from no insoles to supportive insoles in ski boots made my feet ache a bit. May be worth wearing shoes with good shaped insoles for your feet when you walk/run a pre-holiday training, then your feet won't have such a shock at suddenly being supported differently. The second year I'd realised that insoles are better for feet in general, and not just sport specific, and I wore them for dog walks etc, and I had less aches.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Randomsabreur, Top Post!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy