Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif: Flaine, Les Carroz, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt. Snow reports 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
As Always the GM & particularly Flaine never disappoints it always dumps in April the long term forecast on Netweather says it is going to snow on & off over the next week or so & remain cold, so all should be good when we rock up to our Apartment on April 9th for our last week of the season, we cant wait!!!! Twisted Evil

Whoever is going over the easter week have a good one Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I think it means that the person who said it is considerably younger than you!

or trying too hard...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK slightly later than advertised the road over to Flaine was either dry or mildly moist at 17:00.

(I will ignore the ageist comments)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Embarassed Aw shucks...sorry abut the ageist comment!

Thanks for road update - I'm pretty confident we'll be good for Sunday evening....

Have a great week everyone.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
just to give you all a little more local info;
> the Samoens/Morillon side of the resort now has no snow at all.
> at 10:30 this morning chains were needed from the 3rd hairpin after Les Carroz to get to Flaine.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
To give an even more recent update:
Road to Flaine 100% clear.
Pistes in fantastic condition today, really as good as it ever gets.
Queues negligable.

Ignore marcellus there is plenty of snow on the Morillon/Samoens side. We slied down to Morillon 1100, a bit slushy for the last 150 yards but 100% coverage.
Samoens was good down to 1600, Les Carroz superb down Moliets but I didn't go down to the village, but is probably OK judging by the overall conditions.

We were just there for a day trip visit to see friends, had a great day.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rungsp, keep up at the back I acknowledged nearly a week ago that I might not have been right!!

And my forecast was nearly 2 weeks ago....... my latter reports said you needed chains below Molliets yesterday morning at 10:30!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp, Marcellus was referring to road conditions from an question further up.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arrived in Flaine and managed a couple of hours. Flat light and light snowfall. Snow sticky but good coverage. TBH you would never have guessed it was late afternoon in April Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just a quick update on the Col de Flaine (as at 18:30 this evening).. still clear and dry.. although starting to have a very very very light snow fall!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Woke up to 6-8 inches fresh snowfall this morning. Everywhere was 'off-piste' as I guess the snow got the better of the bashers who were out but couldn't do it all. Hence moguls on the busy bendy bit towards the end of the Tourmaline which made it interesting Laughing

Tired legs now.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pistes remain in pretty good condition (well everywhere we've been) - despite sunshine today pistes were great in Flaine up until when we came in. Lovely morning in Les Carroz and back over to Flaine after pannini lunch. Jade was challenging end of day on steeper bit, very lumpy and large numbers of idiots charging down past lots of people who were struggling in the lumps. Saw one poor man of about 70 who was snowploughing on blades at the top, hope he made it down in one piece Shocked
More sun tomorrow and warmer temps.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lou, Thanks, should be there in 10 days so hope it doesn't get too warm
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still pretty cold today, despite the sun, but going to be much warmer tomorrow and generally looks being a bit warm, judging from the GFS. Plenty of very nice snow about, but it's amazing how quick the new snow can disappear, at this time of year. But it's extremely pleasant, sitting in the sun with a cold beer. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I should have been there now but plans were aborted for domestic reasons. I've been watching the Flaine website and it seems the best it's been in 10 years for April. I seem to becoming an armchair Flaine watcher as I've been going there since 2000. Still, all is not lost - should be grabbing a couple of days in Aviemore later this week. Not the GM but still snow you can slide on Smile
ski holidays
As expected, beautiful warm sunny day. Pistes again held up well though naturally softened more quickly. I came in at 3, and even then there were no really watery areas to speak of though I did notice that horrible sticky feeling when straightlining which I loathe Toofy Grin Not bad as has been the first time this late trip.

Tomorrow looks like more of the same with perhaps more cloud. First lift to Morillon in the morning Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Very mild this morning. Went over to Morillon first thing but came back as very soft below Bergin chair ?about 1300m.by 09.50hrs Shocked Thought we could get away with it until 11! More cloud than sun and temps have dropped a little this afternoon. Would be good if there was a good low freeze tonight.
Flaine pistes in good condition. Short day for me today as head took a bang this morning.
ski holidays
Quote:

Would be good if there was a good low freeze tonight.

doesn't look like there's much chance of that. Sorry about the head, Lou. Sad
ski holidays
Lovely morning in Les Carroz (well not the weather, very low cloud and poor vis). Pistes have had some respite as sun couldn't get through so delayed softening today. Headed over to Samoens 1600 early afternoon but could have been anywhere as could only see couple of meters or so.

L'Anfionne on Timalets piste in LC - good panninis.
ski holidays
Lou, Save some snow for us! - Should be out on the piste, or what's left of them by Saturday morning Smile
snow report
steve, it really is very good. Usual spring conditions but still very good coverage and few bald bits. Spent another morning on Les Carroz side where a couple of the pistes were icy until 1pm ish (and I know as I went flying on one red, Rhodos I think, and didn't stop until I had reached the bottom Laughing I felt every cord of the corduroy). Coming back over to Flaine after mid morning is a bit of a drag on sundrenched traverses and mush.

Have a great time Very Happy

Off to PdS in the morning but may come back over here for a day next week.
ski holidays
Oooh look, more snow. Where are the doom mongers. The GM manages another full season. Hurrah. I will be there for a whole 20 hours next week, unfortunately I have so much to do (including a bit of shut eye) that skiing wont be on the agenda Sad I am hoping for warm sunny weather from Thursday onwards please Happy
latest report
Still herestevo_the_saddler but only for 168 hours this week!! Razz
snow conditions
marcellus, Razz I am only jealous Laughing
snow report
I will be there with the family from Saturday to Tuesday. Looks like sunshine will be on the menu! Will please my non-skiing wife no end...
snow report
well did the last day of the season. Was like having a ski resort to yourself, hardly anyone here!

snow very soft, but it was real fun, and not very many of those grabbing stop moments. quite a few bare patches. Timalets down to base was excellent fun. Samoens was much better than i thought, and the lack of people was amazing. At lunch time was charging down zorta and going up gron chair, and 3 times round saw 1 other person on the run and lift.

Got to do some work today, but off to flaine tomorrow. Really sunny and warm, will go a walk this afternoon.
ski holidays
carroz, I did the last 2 days last year. Same... empty, I wonder what the cost to run the lifts is for half a dozen or so people in Samoens Happy So, the snow lasted and everything turned out fine. Another good season overall in the GM IMHO. I am supposed to be over for a "flying" visit on Thur/fri, I suspect that wont happen now though.
latest report
Had a fantastic last week - very quiet, lots of sun, up early, hammered just about every thing that was open then finished by 3. The kids even managed the combe de veret this year -one fell on the drag lift so there wasn't much choice really! fresh snow on icy bumps was interesting!- I may try Gers with them next year- and they'll probably leave us far behind Little Angel marcellus, tried the new J17 -that worked great although the Nangy toll was empty - not sure about next Feb half term tho I think it may still be quicker to use the V.Verte then.Lou, I can second the recommendation on the panninis Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well went up for the last day of the season... didn't get past the bars.... the saxophonist and go go dancers were a sound and sight to behold.. feeling a tad "delicate" this morning mind...

latest report
Great pics. Did they arrange the "waterski" again? and the "chair" on skies down the green runs?
snow report
Very odd in resort today. Only grandes platieres, col de plate chair and a few free and/or drags open. Youngest stuck down in slush learning to snowboard and oldest doing her best to keep up with me! Had slopes to ourselves this afternoon. Turning right onto mephisto from grand platieres and there was no-one around. Snow soft but not sticky, even found untracked snow in small stashes off to the sides of the piste to play in. Crusty in the morning but not bad considering temperatures. Finding myself gazing wistfully off balcony at untouched pistes over to right of the aup de veran eggs!
snow report
carled, Same today, however gers was open, how i hate that drag, ........all getting rather slushy at the bottom. Faust at the top was lovely and hard this morning, a UCPA instructor took his class down it just before i got there, they were all on the floor! Loads of closed pistes that look fine looking up, very frustrating........but had a really excellent day....repeat order tomorrow please Very Happy
latest report
steve, pleased you enjoyed the panninis. I wasn't sure about the cheese they put with the curried chicken but actually it was very nice Laughing Could just do with one now to ease the pain of a long wait for next ski.

carled, carroz, very envious of you still being there. Faust is one of my top 5 pistes.

I am going to go now before I start to cry Toofy Grin
latest report
Lou,
Quote:

Faust is one of my top 5 pistes.

Agreed, I love it.
snow report
Rather frustrating day, long story, but no skiing, so went a very long walk in the forest around les carroz (5 hours in all)...it was rather nice, so hopefully skiing tomorrow. Sitting on balcony at the moment and it is very very warm. The walk was like summer..........slushfest tomorrow I think.

Found out why so much is shut. lots of lift staff etc finished at the weekend, or are employed clearing stuff up.
latest report
Another super sunny day. Snow conditions hard up top until about 10am, then slowly softening to rather soft. Water skiing at bottom in places. Quite a few stones etc appearing, but a very warm spring skiing day. In fact off piste in places was firmer than the pistes.

Another one tomorrow please.............. Very Happy

P.S. Faust was brill as ever, just quite a few stones on the last pitch, but for some reason skiers left seems to have the best snow so lots of very very short turns
snow conditions
Skiied my last day this season, saturday. Very quiet in flaine. Bottom of faust shut. Snow at top was hard until about 10, then really softened very quickly. Just next to the top of the lobster pot lift and the drags was waterskiing!. Very warm, snow vanishing before your eyes at the base.

minus 14 in december seems a long time ago http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58544

Going up the DMC saw a marmot wondering about, and a least 3 marmot holes.

Down in les carroz it was like a summers day.

Overall a brilliant season, apart from knee, which is now better (ish) so only another 7 1/2 months till the next one.......

Just got home after driving through the night, am now a little tired
snow conditions
Marcellus has now left the country!!

It's been emotional!!
latest report
carroz, flippin' marmots Toofy Grin I really thought that this was going to be the trip I actually saw one. Saw a brown squirrel from Perdrix chair and a young Chamois very close to new Opale piste in Foret but no marmots.

Enjoy summer all Very Happy Hoping to have a short trip to PdS in August.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy