Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif: Flaine, Les Carroz, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt. Snow reports 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
Just woken up, Weather looking better, no more rain. The temp has dropped. Yestuday for our 1st day was wet wet wet but still got in a few runs. I am mazed at how goood the piste were after all that rain but off Piste was poor, tried a fews runs just off the Piste and it was like someone had tried to pull me back. Any Saints fans in Flaine this week.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Argh....Going to Samoens for Easter week. There would have been a time when I'd have just turned up with little knowledge of the snow conditions.
The internet can provide too much knowledge.
Not much we can do about snow conditions now, we've been 6 times at Easter and never had any snow problems.
Is this our 1st time.....?

I hope not.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dimple,
Quote:

and, sadly, too little wisdom.

Is it your first time?

I hope not too.

I am not mad.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

The internet can provide precisely zero information about what the snow conditions will be like at Easter (though any amount of pointless speculation, obviously) . wink Baking hot today, lunch on the terrace, cold beer on the slopes. Absolutely glorious after all those cold times. And cold again next week, too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The internet can provide precisely zero information about what the snow conditions will be like at Easter (though any amount of pointless speculation, obviously) . wink Baking hot today, lunch on the terrace, cold beer on the slopes. Absolutely glorious after all those cold times. And cold again next week, too.
When I typed the word knowledge it sounded wrong......

Yes, speculation sounds right. Let's hope snow reports I've seen this week are correct.

No point worrying, but when you've looked forward to it all season....... hard not to hope for some decent conditions.

Been to GM at Easter before though and always had plenty of snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dimple, There isn't an Easter week. Do you mean the week before or after Easter?

If you mean next week, Chamonix Meteo which is as good a forecast for the GM as any, is confident for two days and then isn't confident at all. So anything might happen, given this season's behaviour, anything will.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ok...there isn't an Easter week. I mean week commencing Monday 5th April 2010, which is Easter Monday and for the 6 days following that.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dimple, OK. in that case, who knows? Forecast good for the next two days. Snow cover generally excellent. Forecast completely unknown for the period you're here. Pays your money, takes your chance I'm afraid, at this stage.

You'll almost certainly be fine. Trust me, I'm a salesman.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
5 mins until I head off to Flaine now Madeye-Smiley . Forecasts make it look like it could be a great week to try out my new skis. Hope theyre right.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just back from Flaine. It snowed about 40 cms in the last 24 hours so deep powder for those out today. Very warm in the week but cooler at the moment. Enjoy. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from Flaine as well, Friday Afternoon was amazing. Fresh powder and few people up high made for great Off Piste. Agree with above it was snowing very hard this morning when we left, providing the temp stays reasonably low you should have a good week in the Massif.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hate to say "I told you so....", but, "I told you so" snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Huge sigh of relief.
Off out next Sunday. Can't wait now!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

so deep powder

well, deep snow, at any rate. wink Probably powdery much higher up, but outside my door at 1550m it's pretty claggy. Leg breaking stuff, once it gets churned up bit. Still, it's white as far as the eye can see. snowHead

l

l

l

Which isn't very far at all...............
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
Hate to say "I told you so....", but, "I told you so" snowHead

Yes... can anyone else see a hyweljenkins-shaped hole in this thread, or is it just me? NehNeh
latest report
carled, Laughing It's a bit claggy though. For the first time in ages I used my pole straps today, having had the snow just grab a stick and pull it out of my hand, when trekking across to the piste outside our apartment, then having to go back some yards across the untracked crud to get it. There's been some optimistic talk of "powder"...... the little girls next door built a magnificent great snowbear this morning - and you can't do that with powder snow.

But - tomorrow looks like being sunny, the freshly fallen crud will be pisted, and it looks like being a great day for a bit of a cruise around. snowHead there's more on the way, too, by the look of it.
snow conditions
We have a chalet in the GM, spending over 30 days each season there and it rarely lets us down. Easter being so early this year (unlike next) I had every faith that there'd be more snow and by the looks of things there's been loads Very Happy
I was a little perplexed by a couple of forum users saying that, as far as Flaine goes, the season was over, but I'm very glad they've been proved wrong! We're back out for Easter and all is looking good Very Happy
ski holidays
The GM's ski record is pretty damn good. People assume becuase it is "low" that it doesn't bode well, OK, there will be poorer periods when it isn;t "ideal", but there is usually skiing to be had from Christmas until mid April (and beyond in Flaine)
latest report
marcellus wrote:
My thoughts!

Everyone is saying "one more dump before the end of the season".................... personally given the weather this season; I can't see it and if it does come then it might be too late as the poor base through a late start doesn't help..... I doubt I'll ski again this season (not only for lack of snow mind)!

Woken up thios morning to heavy rain @ 800m!

I'll readily acknowledge that my personal oppinion wasn't right.

BUT given that I'd been out on my bike all week topping up my "cyclists tan", was sitting in the garden in shorts and T Shirt, had a BBQ and nothing forecasted on the 9 day forecast.......... I still think I'd give the same personal oppinion!!
ski holidays
marcellus, I used to think you were reliable... I now have my doubts wink Laughing
latest report
stevo_the_saddler, but you probably also thought Michael Fish was reliable!! Very Happy
snow report
marcellus, indeed snowHead
ski holidays
Also just arrived home Crying or Very sad but had a good long weekend in Les Carroz. Friday night / Saturday morning plenty of snow even down in the village, but by lunchtime had mainly gone! Far too warm and in the village it never dropped below freezing. Better higher up. Timalets down to the village was horrible - lumpy and very slushy. Same over in Morillon on Sairon - slushy even by lunchtime. Finally made it over to Flaine yesterday. Plenty of snow and in much better condition - especially high up - Serpentine was superb.
ski holidays
Tony Ellwood wrote:
Finally made it over to Flaine yesterday. Plenty of snow and in much better condition - especially high up - Serpentine was superb.

It's a lesson I have learned on repeated occasions (especially when I forget it) - when the conditions aren't great it's best for us to hop in the car and drive up to Flaine. We need to drive just down the hill to get to the Morillon telecabine anyway, and it's worth the extra 40 mins in the car to drive up and avoid getting rained on.

Glad you had a good long weekend. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
les carroz today was ok at telecabine level, but the new heavy snow that started at 12.30 refreshed everything very quickly. Was rather thick, but fun on piste, didn't do any off piste knee won't do it!

Timalets was fine, rather slushy at the bottom.

Bottom of sairon in morillon was much worse, gloop describes it. Bergin was fresh tracks! snow coming down was really thick.

All links to flaine were closed

Nobody about at all, really empty
latest report
carroz, thanks for the update (any chance of another this evening). We arrive tomorrow for our last trip of the season Sad but after a lot of rain on the sunday when we were there 10 days ago things are looking good Very Happy
snow conditions
Will be there for a day trip from Verbier tomorrow.
I'll be the one in black on green Fischer Big Stix....
latest report
skimum, Hi, sorry it was just a quick one day visit, in chamonix at the moment. If les houches was anything to go by today there will be new snow in les carroz. Lots of new snow today, was heavy on and off all day. Could not see a thing at balme, so went to les houches. Had wonderful fun in the trees, snow was lighter than i expected.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carroz, from the webcams it looks like there was loads of snow overnight, even Sixt is white Very Happy my only worry now is will our hire car (we didn't hire a 4 x 4) get up our steep drive if it's got snow on it Question glad I'm not driving Laughing
latest report
skimum wrote:
carroz, from the webcams it looks like there was loads of snow overnight, even Sixt is white Very Happy my only worry now is will our hire car (we didn't hire a 4 x 4) get up our steep drive if it's got snow on it Question glad I'm not driving Laughing

Make sure you have chains and winter tyres and you'll give yourself the best chance. Smile And if necessary don't try it but park up somewhere at the bottom. Don't do as my Dad did once when, having driven 650 miles from the UK to Verchaix, he was convinced he could make it up the 40 yards of the sideroad to our place. Despite protestations from the other three passengers he gave it a go, and promptly slid off the side of the road! The car had to be pulled out the next morning by the snowplough!
snow conditions
Can I say "I told you so" again snowHead
snow report
ok ok ok ok I was wrong!
ski holidays
mfj197, our lovely neighbour knows we're coming out today, he has a snowplough and if he gets a chance I'm sure he'll have cleared the drive, (crosses fingers).
ski holidays
skimum,
Have you ever needed snow chains from the road from Cluses to Samoens? We've driven it many times and never needed them. I know it's impossible to predict how the road will be but arriving after a long drive we're hoping we won't need to stop and put them on.

Snow looking good - hope it isn't too wet in the valley.

Enjoy your skiing.
ski holidays
dimple, I have never needed them either... the less steep alternative if snowy is to come off motorway immediately after the toll (J16) and come up the valley that way. For some reason we always go back that way (even saves a toll payment!).
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
dimple, I have never needed them either... the less steep alternative if snowy is to come off motorway immediately after the toll (J16) and come up the valley that way. For some reason we always go back that way (even saves a toll payment!).
Thanks Stevo.

Will consider that option.
ski holidays
dimple, You come off motorway and head towards Morizne/Annemasse, then turn right and follow the road all the way to Samoens
snow report
dimple wrote:
Have you ever needed snow chains from the road from Cluses to Samoens?

I've never needed them along the valley either. The snow ploughs around there do a fantastic job. The route up to Flaine has been interesting sometimes if we decide to drive up there for skiing, but only adds to the sense of adventure. The Giffre valley itself has always been good.
snow report
There have been days when you need them along the valley road (Chatillon to Samoens) but not today.. i didn't see or hear any ploughs running but the snow was so wet at that altitude the road stayed clear all night.

I've not gone any higher but am setting off from GVA to Flain in about an hour and will be back on line at about 19:00 so will update you all on conditions over the col.

I hear that this morning corblanche bowl was "awesome dude" whatevever that means. Very Happy
ski holidays
I think it means that the person who said it is considerably younger than you!
wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy