Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flybe Ski Length Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going out to Austria in a few days for my uni holidays, I'm taking two sets skis out there, but want to bring my 'touring' skis back for sessions in the Cairngorms (I'll be leaving one pair out there). However, on the second leg of my return I'm flying from Birmingham to Aberdeen with Flybe, who rather rediculously appear to have a 167cm long restriction on skis. Anyone had any experience taking longer skis with them? Think they'll notice my 176s? This could present the same problem on my easter holidays trip where I think I'm flying Flybe both ways...

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999, It's down to the size of the aircraft hold, might be worth checking to see which type of aircraft you will be on as some have slightly longer holds space than others. The smallest planes with teh rubber bands are teh ones that cause problems for skiers
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I checked this with them and I think it depends on the aircraft. One person told me 167 and another said 170, neither of which helps you I'm afraid.

I think for longer skis they do it on a standby system where they see what is loaded and see if they can fit them on, which would be laughable if it wasn't so crap.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here|we go again.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whether we go again or not isnt the point .... I'm bloody worried now ... I fly on Sunday

I wasnt told of any length issues - my skis are 170cm long, the max length allowed according to flybe is 5ft 6in = 167.64cm's - will they notice that mine are over by 2.36cm's!!

Who knows how long the bag is that they are in, it thing its 170 as well as my skis fit in and no more.

Has anyone been turned away due to skis been 2.36cm's over the limit ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
munkee, it's obviously a risk if you're outside the restrictions. However, as I posted on the other thread, a mate of mine had no option but to take his 190cm snowboard bag as had nothing smaller. The airline check in staff didn't even seem to know about the length restrictions and just counted how many ski bags we had, then asked us to check them in at oversize baggage. And as we were on the bus from the terminal to the plane we saw his bag loaded in the hold of the aircraft. Similarly no problems on the way back. We flew from Southampton to Salzburg.

I would suggest that so long as your bag is within a few cms of the 167 limit you should be fine and they'd be very unlikely to dig out a tape measure. But of course it all depends on the staff on the day.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i just flew with 185's and a 190 bag.....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999, ooh, that's a tricky one. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was sitting on a chairlift today reminiscing with my wife about the days when I skied on 210s. Now that might have caused Flybe a problem Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah, turned out it wasn't a problem for me, luckily! Fingers crossed for the next flight out in Feb too!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I fly on the Saturday flight from Southampton, which I think is the bombardier. The site says 167 but I have confirmed it on the phone (twice when booking and once now) at 170.

So google, as good as it is, is only as good as the data it indexes.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suspect that 167cm is a nominal distance between frames and in reality a few extra cm's can be achived placing teh skis in at a slight angle so that they are between any frames

You think this is tough try loading a 747 with a 6M long pack that weights nearly 20 tons and only clears the cargo door by a few cm's cargo handlers know what they are doing, if teh items will go in the hold they will get them in there wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mine were 176 on FlyBe, and they got 'em in fine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The only time I flew with Flybe (a Bombardier) some other passengers arrived at Grenoble without boots. Apparently it happens quite often that there is just too much luggage for the plane and it has to be transported separately. It happened to us on the return journey and it was delivered to our home the next day. But I wouldn't like being without my own boots for the first day of skiing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jehu wrote:
I wouldn't like being without my own boots for the first day of skiing.

Yeah me neither, as I dont think my trainers will fit into my bindings rolling eyes

Turning up at the airport 2 hours before flight should be enough to make sure I dont have any issues - I'm just praying that the staff at the checkin are nice.
latest report
Flew from Bham to Chambery on a Flybe Q400 prop plane, no problems with having skis which were over 167cm's - dispite being told otherwise by the website and customer services. Our skis where bundled together in a large wheelie ski bag, one pair being 170's and the other being 164's, the bag itself is just over 170 cms in lenght.

The only thing that nearly caused an issue was the ski bag plus the weight of the boots should of come to no more than 20kgs - Mine equaled 16.5kgs (2 pairs of skis, plus poles) + 6.5kgs (boots), The checkin lady just asked if our other bags were under the 20kgs limit, which I instantly said yes both of them. So all was good and everything went through okay.

Return flight, no such worries.
latest report
Flew Flybe Exeter Chambery a couple of weeks ago, 172 ski's in bag went on no problem, check in did not appear to take any notice of the length. Couple of other points, Chambery are anal about boots and charge extra, so we now pack boots and helmets in our suitcases. Also I booked early and my ski's were reserved a space, wheras my mates who booked 2 weeks before the flight went on standby, however the lady on the desk said that in three years she had never experienced any ski's being left behind.
latest report
We flew back from Chambery to So'ton with flybe on Sunday.
We had pre-booked our skis months ago. They initially said "they're not booked", but I insisted, supervisor came, went and checked on the computer came back and agreed. He said that they get no direct list of who has and has not reserved a space, but have to wrok it out from how much the punter paid rolling eyes
The check-in girl then proceeded to attach "Stand by" labels to our ski bags to which I said "Oi" and she replied that they staick stand-by lables on every single ski bag as they are not considere as important as personal luggage and will therefore be left behind if no room (but this is unusual).
I guess what I learnt from this is not to pack anything that you might need farily immediatley in the ski bag.
ski holidays
I couldn't make the booking for the ski's at the same time as my on-line booking, you ring up and make a cc payment, they don't issue any paperwork. I brought a copy of my credit card statement to the airport. At both ends they had a hand written list that is passed around the check-in desks listing priority and standby ski's, as I stated the girl at the check in suggested that there had been none turned away in her three years experience.

Seams like the system could be improved.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
I'm going out to Austria in a few days for my uni holidays, I'm taking two sets skis out there, but want to bring my 'touring' skis back for sessions in the Cairngorms (I'll be leaving one pair out there). However, on the second leg of my return I'm flying from Birmingham to Aberdeen with Flybe, who rather rediculously appear to have a 167cm long restriction on skis. Anyone had any experience taking longer skis with them? Think they'll notice my 176s? This could present the same problem on my easter holidays trip where I think I'm flying Flybe both ways...

Cheers

A person in our party last year flying from Southampton to Berne with Flymaybe had skis longer than the required limit......but no one noticed and they arrived at other end!!

not that im suggesting you should do that but it worked for him wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 11-02-10 18:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Chris Brookes, I did fly with em, have done a few times now, haven't had a problem so far.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy