Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen - A newbie needs help

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Ii'm hoping to be able to pop over to Wengen for the world cup races this year. I have access to an apartment in Grindewald so it seems too good an oppurtunity to miss. I've never been to an FIS ski race so know absolutely nothing about what i need to get and how to get them.

Tickets? Do i need one and where can i get it from?
Can i ski over and watch from the side on ski's?
Or should i look to ski over and take some walking boots with me to watch the race?
What times do the races start? i'd like to see the Slalom and the downhill the following day if i can.

Sorry if these seem like moronic questions but i literally have no idea where to start. I've google'd to try and find a guide but found nothing so if anyone can reccomend one then that'd also probably help.

Thanks
Mike
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forgot to mention i will have a season lift pass for the jungfrau and also a swiss rail pass thanks to my boss, dunno if this will make any difference to ticket pices
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you want to be in the enclosure/hospitality bits, then you need a ticket - but you can see the race without one.

Many people will be on skis, and will just ski over to the side of the course, watch a few racers go past, ski down a bit further, watch some more etc. There is a big hospitality area with screens on the hill opposite the Hundschopf. Wixi chair lift is a good vanatge point (but obviously only for one or two racers!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fastandicy, Ok easy answers first, you don't need a ticket to watch from the side of the course, there are ticket only areas at Wengeneralp and at the Finish at Innerwengen but theres loads of points on the way down where you can just find a spot and stand and watch on skis.

If you would like a ticket for the VIP areas Try http://www.lauberhorn.ch/en/index.php?page=304

Your Ski pass is valid during all the race days but be aware that teh trains get incredibly packed, even the extra ones they put on so leave in plenty of time

Note that on the above site they also give start times, a few years ago I was lucky enough to be given a gold card VIP access and watched from Wengeneralp where it was a great atmosphere and plenty of good food as well.

If going to a vip area you will be standing for several hours and it may well be worth having walking boots but if not I'd go with skis and just gradually make your way down the course as the race progresses. At the end of the day the runs down to Wengen get incredibly busy but it's worth going down to be able to watch the prize giving.

Super Combi is on the Friday, Downhill on the Saturday and Slalom on the Sunday, the slalom course is very narrow and steep and it may be easier to get there on foot rather than try to ski down.

I hope the passes are in your name not your bosses, they will come down really hard on you if they discover you using someone elses pass.

Hope all that helps
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B, D G Orf, Thanks guys. I think i'll go for watching it from the side on ski's i think. The pass is in my name and has my ugly mug on it so shouldn't have a problem there.
I am tempted by the VIP area as i'm sure it's a laugh but i'm going solo so will probably just do the ski past thing. I'll get over there to scout out the terrain soon hopefully and pick my vantage point/s.
Just having a look through that site as we speak, very useful, dunno why google didn't pick it up.

Cheers
Mike
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fastandicy, the VIP area is nice because all teh grub and drinks are included (at least they were when I was there) you also have access to extra toilet facilities which is nice when you're standing arround watching teh races for ages
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
times for all the races are on the fis website.
They quite often have a link to the particular race websites to for more info.
For a big race like Wengen, there will be a link there for sure.

fis-ski.com

Much more on there too, start lists etc and live timing if you can't see on telly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you,re there in the days preceding the races then go hang out up by the start hut, you'll get the best, informal insight into the preparation of an elite athlete you could ever wish for. All super relaxed with everyone just going about their business while regular skiers are all milling around. Race days - Fri, Sat, Sunday are a bit more pressured so being beside the course at any of the various points is best. As folks have already said the viewing area at Wengernalp looking up to the Hundschopf, Minschkante and Canadian Corner is really good and there's a big video screen so you can see the sections above and below the bit you watch live, Nice cafe too!
For Sundays Slalom and the SL leg of the Super Combined on Friday best to be in the finish area - there's not a lot of piste-side space on the Jungfrau SL slope - so you might need to splash a few Swiss Francs for that but very well worth it..... I'll be there too! JC
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy