Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding placement

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been using short skis (123cms) for several years now as I cannot use my left arm and obviously cannot use poles as a result.
Whilst the short skis have allowed me to get around the mountain and have a lot of fun I have found that as my skiing has improved they do have their limitations (my recently introduced to skiing girlfriend leaving me in her wake being one of them).
As a result I have been experimenting with slightly longer skis (140 to 150cms) but up to know have found them a rather awkward compromise as they are designed for skiers shorter and lighter than me.
I have just got hold of some Atomic blackeye nomad all mountain skis at 150cms which are stiffer and I am hoping do the trick for me but the bindings seem to be set quite a long way back on the ski compared with previous longer skis that I have used and was wondering if this is because as an all mountain ski the position of the bindings reflects the compromise between piste and powder.
As I am only really planning to use them as piste skis would it be worth my while to have the bindings repositioned to give me a more conventional setting or am I being a big pussy and should just get on with it as my girlfriend advises?
Any advice would be much appreciated because if these don't work I think I will have to remain a short ski devotee, carry on eating my girlfriends snow and have a very nice (and expensive) set of skis to sell on ebay.
Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For what it is worth I have these skis @ 178. If you have the Neox bindings, as I do, there is scope to move the binding forward of the centre point. Whilst the recommended position is about 10mm forward I would thing it possible that you could move them further still. I could check but they are loaded in the car ready for our trip to Les Carroz tomorrow. It is relatively easy to move the bindings forward and if you have the instruction leaflet it tells you how, if not you basically undo the centre screw on the binding which is marked forward and rear I think, and then slide the binding forward (lifting it slightly above the ribbed track on which it sits. Your boot measurement is shown inside a small window on the side of the track too so the binding can be set accurately. There is also a mark to show the binding in the centre and forward position. Once relocated refit the centre plate, which you will now have to rotate 180 degrees for it to fit. It was recommended to me to move the binding foward as it makes turning easier and after trying the binding on both positions, forward is best (for me).

I use these skis on piste with a view to eventually go off, I enjoy skiing them and they carve well. I am tall and "large" and find them very stable.

If all of the above is too complicated and you can wait until after Chrimbo I'll send you a copy of the instructions.

There is bound to be someone more knowledgeable than me who could advise better and I am sure they will be along shortly.

Regards

Bas
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Basil, Spyderjons site shows how to do what you are saying http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/35/50/

Steve.S, maybe worth have a chat with CEM at solutions4feet he and Andi Mc Cann could advise on fore aft alignment and balancing which may make things easier for you to maintain a good stance on longer skis.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Basil - do you mean the centre of the ski (the literal middle) or the recommeded mark, because they are very different things.

Steve S - the only reason you would want to mount your bindings forward (ie close to the middle of the ski) is if you were spinning to win in the park. 90% of people (ie everyone except park rats) will want it on the skis recommended line. Some may set it further abck than this for a 'freeride' or offpiste setting, but it's not really essnetial. I imagine you want it on the line. I'm not quite sure how using shorter skis makes htings easier when you can't use your arm though?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve.S, have you thought about going even longer than that (ie to standard length skis)? Have you had any lessons recently? I don't think you necessarily need to be on short skis just because you can't use poles.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999, I was referring to the mark on the binding as centre so not sure if this is true centre.

RPF, I have seen this and spoke to John about it when I ordered some tuning tools but had in fact experimented with the settings previously. Thanks for pointing Steve.S to the link.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you don't keep em have a look at Some Spruce Sherpa 130's mate, sound like they might do the trick. What are your 123's?

The Sherpas are a four pin centre mount though, I think Spruce do a riser plate or downhill specific binding set which sets them back a bit but not too sure on that one.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1,
I used conventional length ski's for a number of years but never really "got it", about 6 years ago I triec some blades and suddenly found I could handle just about any slope.
I then got Atomic 123's which allow you to carve but still turn quickly and meant that I now ski pretty confidently on them but struggle in "crud" and in powder they disappear hence my quest for somewhat longer ski's.
I have always been a pretty cautious skier for obvious reasons and hate losing control as a result, possibly the lack of poles is a subconcious reaction to this.
I have had lessons for the last 3 years and my skiing is much better as a result but I have not managed to sort myself out on longer skis yet (although I have high hopes for the Nomads).
Esco,
Thanks for the info, I will check out the Spruce Sherpa's if the Nomad's dont work.

Stephen.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sorry to hijack the thread ever so slightly, but does anyone know of a good ski shop in the North West (other than Rivington Alpine) who can provide and fit some bindings for me?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
aldoyle,
Anything Technical in Kendal I have found pretty good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy