Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Telemark L1 course

Poster: A snowHead
Is anyone interested in doing a BASI Telemark Level 1 course if we can organise it to be run over a couple of weekends? (Requiring one day of leave.)

I know that someone is trying to organise something along these lines at Tamworth, but it might also be possible to organise something at Hemel if we have enough numbers.

Please reply with whether you'd be interested and also whether you'd prefer / be prepared to do Hemel / Tamworth.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ive never telemarked but prepared to learn concepts

tamworth please!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1969jma, you'll need to have telemarked before you come on the course. But you have plenty of time to learn. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm a potential if we can do Hemel & split over weekends.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maybe although I have no idea whether my standard is up to it.....

Apart from getting the qualification, what is the point of it exactly? Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
soushilla wrote:
Maybe although I have no idea whether my standard is up to it.....

Apart from getting the qualification, what is the point of it exactly? Smile

2nd discipline for Mr Stanton. Technical development for the rest of us.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FlyingStantoni, what kind of telemark experience do you need to have had to do this course? I did a day of telemarking back in January and thoroughly enjoyed it. Haven't got my own equipment so would need to hire (if that exists here in the UK) but would very much like to try my hand again at telemark.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wanna do it as a second discipline but I'm not at the standard yet so will be interested if I manage to get some practice and lessons in beforehand.

BTW, happy b'day FlyingStantoni Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
soushilla - go on, you know you want to. And that I'll talk you into it anyway. Just give up now.

fatbob - likewise wink

snowshine - I'll get a description of the course level. Basically (I think) - ski in control on a blue piste and able to demonstrate turns of a variety of radii. Unfortunately hiring kit in the UK is tricky. But not impossible...

roga - you have all season to practice and then the early part of the summer...

(And thank you!)

In general - if we were to do something in late summer then I'm sure we could source some training over the summer....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Unfortunately hiring kit in the UK is tricky. But not impossible...

Pretty impossible in England I think but much easier in Scotland - there's 2 or 3 places in Aviemore and at least 1 in Braemar that have all the gear for hire and for sale Toofy Grin
Quote:
roga - you have all season to practice and then the early part of the summer...

LOL correction, I have all season to learn to do it properly 'coz at the moment I've tried it for around half an hour ... so am total crap as things stand! Will be hiring from the above mentioned outlets over Xmas/New Year though and giving it a go with some properly qualified instructors so we'll see what happens ... then I guess I may have to consider buying some kit!
Quote:
In general - if we were to do something in late summer then I'm sure we could source some training over the summer....

That would be good but I guess we'll have to have our own kit for this and any course that might be run?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FlyingStantoni, how many courses to go?! wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd love to do it, but would have to learn first - planning on doing a bit this winter but depends on cash... If I can source a few cheap lessons/get shown the basics by someone (in Austria or Scotland*) and have a bit of time to practise late summer could be a very good plan...

*If you have any tips on finding such that would be ace...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1 wrote:
FlyingStantoni, how many courses to go?! wink

Too many!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
I'd love to do it, but would have to learn first - planning on doing a bit this winter but depends on cash... If I can source a few cheap lessons/get shown the basics by someone (in Austria or Scotland*) and have a bit of time to practise late summer could be a very good plan...

*If you have any tips on finding such that would be ace...

If you can get over to Hemel then I can show you everything I know.

It'll take about half an hour wink

Seriously, though, you could try contacting Matt via www.telemark-skiing.co.uk - he's the Snowsport England telemark development director (or something like that) and may well know of some instructors in Scotland.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
roga wrote:
That would be good but I guess we'll have to have our own kit for this and any course that might be run?

I think getting your own kit is the the only viable option at the moment...
snow report
clarky999, if you're thinking of doing some in Scotland try G2 who have been recommended by everyone I've talked to (including Joe Beer the new BASI telemark head honcho) and for equipment and serious knowledge try Mountain Spirit in Aviemore. The latter is run by Rob Edmonds who is an enthusiastic and expert telemarker, he skis deep and steep in the Gorms as well as all round the world - he spent some time in the Himalayas last season. Both outfits are really friendly and happy to offer advice, I've spoken to G2 on the phone to arrange sessions over the holidays and last time I was in Mountain Spirit I got speaking to Rob and he invited me to come skiing with him ... I told him I was a beginner telemarker but it didn't seem to worry him ... Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
Booked onto BASI Tele level 2, so needing a bit of work with a trainer I tried Newgeneration in Courchevel
165 Euros for 2 hours, 235 for 3 and 295 for 4 hours

OR £380 for 5 days on Level 1 last week in March
No brainer really

Anyone up for it?
ski holidays
Rocksteadee, Don't you have to do L1 before you can L2 anyway? I don't think you should have been able to book the L2 before you'd passed (or at least booked with a big enough gap to do 70hrs shadowing in between) the L1...
snow report
beanie1, Quite right, but already qualified L1 with BASI in Zermatt last year, just doing the level 1 again to use as a weeks training being it at a lower level. Comparing the cost of working with a trainer for a private lesson to re doing the course
The economical factor to the course is that I probably have accomodation in Courcevel anyway
snow report
Rocksteadee, ah I see. Never heard of anyone doing that before! They are pretty good value.
latest report
Anything running in Swiss Alps or France this year? I am based in Champery and looking to do BASI 1 & 2, I try to Telemark most days out here and teach Alpine in the mornings for the Swiss Ski School here. Can tele on most terrian now and off piste. Have taken part in a few races last season.
snow report
summer - take a butchers at www.basi.org.uk - courses in Courcherval in March and 'tux in April (I think).
ski holidays
summer, If you go for the tele 1 in Courchevel last week in March with NewGeneration and then get in 35 hours teaching (not necessaryirly in telemark) (provided you already have 35 hours) in the next 2 weeks could then book onto L2 with BASI in Hintertux last week 2 weeks in April
latest report
Rocksteadee wrote:
summer, If you go for the tele 1 in Courchevel last week in March with NewGeneration and then get in 35 hours teaching (not necessaryirly in telemark) (provided you already have 35 hours) in the next 2 weeks could then book onto L2 with BASI in Hintertux last week 2 weeks in April

Thats great, I teach Alpine anyway with the local ski school here and have done a Swiss Telemark coaching session with Swiss SnowSports Instructor. This within our school has allowed me to teach beginnners Telemarking, so have plenty of hours that can be validated. So will call Basi and find out the best plan of attack so to speak!
snow report
A telemark Level 1 course split over two weekends at Hemel now appears to be available on the BASI website.

Looks like the weekends of 9 October and 16 October - although it's not clear from the website when the extra day is.

I'll double check with BASI tomorrow.

Way to go PSG snowHead
ski holidays
Now, if I can only work out how the heck to sign up for the course...

(Does anyone remember the weird way this works...?)
latest report
FlyingStantoni, log in to your personal account on the BASI site. Go to the courses page, click on the relevant course in the "Courses Available" section and it pops up the booking page.
snow report
Thanks rob@rar.

I'm going to book tomorrow - once I've double, double checked the dates with the BASI office.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni, oohh, second discipline! rolling eyes
snow conditions
But once you can Telemark everything else is just so second discipline
latest report
FlyingStantoni, I would be interested, but I guess I'd have to re-join BASI first! I'll look into it.

How about a tele- week here in summer? We've got some top tele instructors here .... just a thought!
ski holidays
Why is it £125 more expensive than the other L1 courses?
snow conditions
roga, I'd guess it's because it includes slope fees at Hemel.
ski holidays
The course is being run on 9/10 October and then 15/16/17.

The £125 represents £25 a day slope fee.
latest report
Booked.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
How about a tele- week here in summer? We've got some top tele instructors here .... just a thought!

I'd love to but unfortunately I'm out of leave for the year.
latest report
I'm not quite sure how this has happened, but have just booked on to the Hemel Tele L1 course in October

Up until the beginning of the week, it was alpine all the way (or so I thought). Such is the lure of the free heel... Very Happy
ski holidays
Woo Hoo another convert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
Great news the littlest hobo. Now you just need to get up to Hemel and come and slide with us. Follow the link in my signature.
ski holidays
A two weekend telemark L1 course has also been set up for Tamworth - it looks like 4-6 June and 12-13 June.

There's an additional charge of £20 a day for slope fees.

I'm probably following (I think it was) Rocksteadee's approach and doing this one too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy