Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA staff vote for strike action at Christmas / New Year

Poster: A snowHead
mfj197 wrote:
I think they should just make striking illegal ... How ironic it would be if they couldn't get to the talks at 15:00 GMT because of the snow today!

Sorry to hear of your difficulties HellBent.

It just sucks, although I am sure I will feel a little smug when they don't have jobs next year.. Talk about karma!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There must be a reason that they voted 9-1 in favour of action. They must think that the fight is worth it. I reckon a job is more important than a holiday.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
There must be a reason that they voted 9-1 in favour of action. They must think that the fight is worth it. I reckon a job is more important than a holiday.

Yeah, maybe it is because of their low pay?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

http://youtube.com/v/yyBRhoYR1e4

According to someone who works at BA, the top earning CSD (chief steward/stewardess) allegedly earnt £88,000 last year. That's great money for a job that requires no formal qualification. ie you just have to prove you went to school and studied GCSE english and maths - you didn't need to pass the exams. Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bucking bronco wrote:

According to someone who works at BA, the top earning CSD (chief steward/stewardess) allegedly earnt £88,000 last year. That's great money for a job that requires no formal qualification. ie you just have to prove you went to school and studied GCSE english and maths - you didn't need to pass the exams. Shocked

Well I hope they figure the strike out, otherwise I genuinely hope that stewardess earning £88,000, loses her job and has to go work at Burger King.

Harsh? I'd say so, but so is not getting to see your loved ones at Christmas.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bucking bronco, I'm pretty sure they have a MASS of safety crap to get through?! CALLING Michelle!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
anotherproblem wrote:
bucking bronco, I'm pretty sure they have a MASS of safety crap to get through?! CALLING Michelle!!!

There is no doubt they have to have some skills for the job, first aid, emergency evac etc but it does sound like they are incredibly overpaid!

Either way, they can argue with BA about it by all means, but please just not at Christmas!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HellBent, It seems that BA staff CAN be overpaid, but we don't know what hours the one earning 88k worked. She might have worked her bloody t!ts off and hardly spent any time at home with her friends and family, she also might be one of the voters who DIDN'T vote for the strike, don't be so quick to judge. Certainly some will be paid far more than they are worth, but we don't know what the requirements are for their jobs, what their hours are or in fact anything about them. As such we are hardly in a position to moan about such things.

The strike action is stupid and I hope they all lose their jobs as a result, yet feel for the people affected. We should remember that this is not every c-crew member in BA, never mind the country.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
anotherproblem wrote:
She might have worked her bloody t!ts off

I think you need a private jet for that.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman, wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bucking bronco wrote:

Well, when that plane landed in the Hudson River, and the passengers had but a few minutes to get out of the plane before it sank, I think they were quite "well served" by those 3 "un-qualified" cabin staff! Whether they got their choice of chicken or beef correctly is the least of their worry!

I don't know enough to say if they're paid "fairly" for their job or not. But I personally do prefer a cabin crew member who gets more than the minimum wages of a waitress, even if it comes at the cost of a few extra bucks no the ticket!

Not that I'm in any way supporting the strike. If the purpose of the strike is to generate public sympathy, it seems to have gotten the eact opposite reaction.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Smokin Joe wrote:
Rob Mackley wrote:
Just seen this thread and wanted to say something , I really don't care about reasons voting for strike action , I simply think it is really wicked to make it over xmas regardless of the so called impact and I think all cabin staff who take action should be ashamed .

Any cabin staff out there , take note , not many are backing you . Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

To be fair they are going to strike when it has most impact - no point if you dont ?

They are striking when it will have the most impact on leisure travellers - i.e. mainly the general public.

But it is one of the times I would expect to have least impact on their employers, because surely the biggest income comes from business travellers, who will be in a minority over the Christmas period.

Stupid action.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

But it is one of the times I would expect to have least impact on their employers, because surely the biggest income comes from business travellers, who will be in a minority over the Christmas period.

They will get far more publicity for the strike, and far more moaning at BA, from disappointed holiday makers than from business travellers who can generally switch their reservations pretty easily. I have great sympathy for those whose plans are being disrupted - but tactically, for the unions, I would have thought a strike at Christmas time would have far more impact. Endless TV interviews with heartbroken honeymooners.... etc They are trying to put maximum pressure on the employers, and I'd say they were succeeding. That's not to say I think their action is justified - I really have no idea whether it's justified or not and don't expect to become much wiser reading stories in the popular press.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
That's not to say I think their action is justified - I really have no idea whether it's justified or not and don't expect to become much wiser reading stories in the popular press.

A BA steward writes in the Times:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/comment/2009/12/a-ba-air-stewards-defence.html

I was prepared to discover new facts and feel some sympathy, but it comes across as a self-pitying whine. Most of the commenters seem to think so too.

However, I will say that I think BA cabin crew do their job very well: I've never had cause for complaint on board a BA plane.
snow report
Just read a link from the Guardian - BA crew (the majority) at GATWICK will be breaking the be strike , will be working and will endeavor to get passengers where they need to go.
latest report
chair of BA's branch of unite lives in california, has a home in W. London, earns 50K and hasn't worked on a flight in over a year..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1236471/The-BA-comrade-California--50-000-year-union-activist-lives-LA-flown-year.html
snow conditions
pam w, I'd say they are putting all the pressure on themselves rather than on BA.

Snowheads isn't the only place where they have virtually NO sympathy.

For a strike to succeed in putting pressure on the employer via the public, rather than just by directly affecting the business, the strikers must have the sympathy of the public.
latest report
A Scottish loco went bust yesterday with the loss of 800 jobs. I'll bet they have a lot of sympathy for the BA strikers.
snow conditions
Interesting reading a comment on Fb posted by a primary school teacher who earns £14 k less than junior cabin crew on BA, her hol is quite probably ruined, she's a single Mum and has scrimped to take her kids away this Christmas.
ski holidays
Just heard on Bloomberg News that the courts have halted the BA strike - nothing on BBC or Sky yet
latest report
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8418805.stm
latest report
well no strike for now, but union will be after BA now for 2010
ski holidays
Well, I'll know not to book with BA again! Interesting (and rather swift) end to the immediate worry though.
snow report
it will be interesting to guage the mood of the cabin crew on my flight tonight!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy