Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday BBC2 - Starting now............

Poster: A snowHead
mines froze, just says "skiing weather"
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
working now. they just head snow forecast next week Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good idea for a news section- allbeit brief and the tech section. In a half an hour programme where the main coverage has to be the ski racing, you can't really address much else in any depth though
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crikey, rather them than me. Shocked Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Am I alone in thinking that was terrible? What a waste of time. The 'tech section' was verging on pointless and the commentary throughout was dire, especially when the competitors were running.

My dislike for SG was not helping matters Laughing

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 13-12-09 19:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i agree halfhand, thought it was quite good. theres more on the red button section aswell. shame high altitude isnt on to back it up for an extra half an hour though
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
i agree halfhand, thought it was quite good. theres more on the red button section aswell. shame high altitude isnt on to back it up for an extra half an hour though

So is there no High Altitude this winter?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Higs, nope, it's been canned (there's another thread somewhere on here about it).

I liked the coverage of the Super-G...from the way the big names were having trouble it looked like a properly fierce course Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dangly bits, the PVR doesn;t time shift if programmes are delayed so looks like I'll have to find it on the red button
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Strewth - I was wincing with that ice!

Red buttton - yeah - not with Virgin. Mine has a habit of freezing, which it did and needed a reset Evil or Very Mad

Still, at least it was snowing. I;m out there in 6 weeks - what was the area at the finish?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I loved the race coverage only coz I need to ski the Face. It was closed when I was there in Jan this year. Something to do with a race going on.... Mad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That was bl00dy hard and what you don't comprehend watching on the TV is the added difficulty of skiing in flat light. That really did sort the men from the boys, Bodie 9th !!. martinm, Virgin works for me !!.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Surely those big blue stripes on the piste would help Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Check out the revised version of the Espace Killy map, cool.

http://www.tignes.net/en/ski-a-tignes/ski-run-map-28.html
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
halfhand wrote:

Not for contrast and seeing the undulations bumps and icy patches. Well at least not for me, but I'm not a world class racer.
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:

Well yes, that is exactly what they are there for.

But "help" still doesn't make it as easy as in good light.

I can't recall ever seeing a WC race where so many of them were only in partial control at best.
ski holidays
alex_heney,
Quote:

I can't recall ever seeing a WC race where so many of them were only in partial control at best

Wrong skis for the conditions wink Laughing
snow report
They would have been better off with these...

http://www.prolineskates.com/acatalog/NIKE_SENIOR_ICE_SKATES.html
latest report
...or a pair of these...
ski holidays
arv, rolling eyes amateur - they are for the splash pools
snow report
Commentary on the Super G was hilarious the 2 skiers he slagged off for skiing like beginners were Ligety and Walchhofer. Was fairly obvious that it was a course where severe pivoting to make the gates was the order of the day.
ski holidays
Is it just me or was the Ed & Graham piece about avalanche safety gear just a bit errr... casual. Saying things like "nobody that has ever been caught in an avalanche with this has been killed" is kinda missing the point. Next time I hope they have a helmet debate just to please everyone here.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, agree with you on the technical bit in the programme, but note that they said "nobody who's ever deployed one of these in an avalanche has died". Quite a difference - if you're in a big one, you still get squished...you just don't get time to react.
ski holidays
Commentary was shockingly bad, and the news segment seemed a bit of a waste of time, too short to do anything useful.
I'm also wondering what the point of the snowboarder (who's name I've forgotten) is on the show, just seems a waste of the licence fee paying to take him out to resort (not to mention wages etc) just to say welcome to ski sunday and a couple of words in the news.....

Still, good to see some skiing on tv
snow conditions
the_fatadder, Ed Leigh

Bode Swiller, kind of what I was alluding to although not as eloquently put. The Beeb haven't really thought his through. Do they want to cover recreational winter sports, ski racing, skiing, boarding or the lot? A 30min highlights prog can only cover one item to a useful level but can't hope to cover all.

Ski Sunday in its death throes?
snow report
Looks like it, which is a shame. Frankly it was all a bit stale, and the opening was dreadfully scripted (which would be fine if they didn't try and make it look otherwise!). Really needs to be at least an hour long. I guess Ed Leigh will be more useful in the olympics when they have to cover the board disciplines too - could be tricky to do everything in only 30 mins!
snow conditions
halfhand, thats the one.....

Completely agree with what you are saying, something of a return to how it was before they started doing High Altitude trying to be all things to all people but doing it all badly.
Would certainly be a lot better if they would work out what they wanted to cover and stick to it, ten seconds covering all the other winter sports.... may as well not bother!

The introductions to the Winter Olympics stuff would be a lot better compressed into a single half hour program and stuck on in February before the games start, might mean that the average viewer may just remember something about them before watching the games (and forgetting about winter sports for another 4 years)
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:

Ski Sunday in its death throes?

Presumably that would explain why they have started it over a month earlier this season than in either of the last two.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
God bless Iplayer.....

I think Didier Cuche wanted to join the helmet thread....... Toofy Grin
latest report
I think that was certainly one of teh nastiest races I've seen on skis, teh entire corse sounded like a sheet of ice, almost all truns were skids rather than carves which to me indicates really hard conditions under ski, the earlier skiers seemed to do better I think because they only had to cope with poor light whilst the later ones had fairly heavy snow to deal with as well.

The blue lines are only any good in marking teh sides of the course, but flat light means you cannot differentiate between angles of slope, dips, ruts or patches of ice, thats what makes high speed skiing in flat light so difficult.
snow report
Le Face is one of the gnarliest tracks out there, it makes me feel better when I have difficulty on steep icey pitches when I see all these guys have such a hard time also! snowHead I think Bode will need to up his game if he wants to win Olympic medals this season.
snow report
It always baffles me how the TV makes a slope seem less steep. I've seen the Face and it looks horrible but on TV it just looked and sounded icy but not particularly steep.
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
It always baffles me how the TV makes a slope seem less steep. I've seen the Face and it looks horrible but on TV it just looked and sounded icy but not particularly steep.

If you look to the sides of the slope you can sometimes see people standing (more like hanging from the side!) The HD coverage and super slo mo camera playbacks are getting really cool these days.... extreme angles and ski flexing!
ski holidays
I haven't got HD or any of these features but I'm glad to say my Freeview plus recorded all the red button coverage.
snow report
Great race, due to appalling conditions.

Ed Leigh is a bellend, and that bit about avalanche safety was cavalier to the point of being massively irresponsible.
snow report
Quote:

and that bit about avalanche safety was cavalier to the point of being massively irresponsible

paulio, absolutely. They may have well have said "buy all this gear, go hunting avalanches, you'll live"
latest report
They were smirking like a couple of tosswits throughout as well, like "hah, this is a total falsification of the level of threat that avalanches actually present, tee hee, and people will probably die after listening to us, *snigger*".
latest report
I am sure I saw a programme about the prep work that goes into a downhill or GS piste. They sprayed masses of water on it the day before so it was all ice. Then on the day of the race, in the programme, it snowed and they cancelled as the snow would have slowed everyone down too much.

I have yet to experience Le Face (I have to wait until late Jan). If the racers were saying it was 'so steep' then I guess it's quite something.
snow conditions
and, by the way, Ed's cardigan has to go.
snow report
Watched it on iPlayer, conditions looked horrific, Graham seemed to be slightly annoying the skiers at the start, and yes they did grin about on the avalanche bit but most people watching Ski Sunday are hardcore skiers who already know avalanches kill, but yeah, and Ed's cardi was a bit, errrrm... I will try and drop in on a Ski Sunday edit at work sometime... I know how they do it all now, I know what goes into it but I have to say, this ep wasn't amazing, SS just gets more and more b*tched about every year, have any/all of you actually tried complaining to the BBC about it? Because unless the need for decent ski race coverage is shown, and if everyone just turns off, the BBC will assume no-one wants decent ski coverage, won't bother spending money on it, and it'll get canned.
But, no matter how much we don't like it, skiing is a minority sport and seen as a posh kn0b rich kids occupation, or just confusing and scary, by those who don't do it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy