Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aravis - Le Grand Bornand, La Clusaz etc

Poster: A snowHead
anyone got anything to report?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can report that I am watching the web cams hourly.....

Looks like a couple of added cm yesterday and little confidence of much more before we arrive there on Sunday (20th)

As I will be back in the office tomorrow morning I expect to increase my web cam gazing frequency to about all the time, or possibly constant. rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
..and now the Tourist Office website has spent the day off line.

This is not helping. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Website available again now - looks like the cannons are going full blast and a few more centimetres fell yesterday. The Maroly webcam is still a bit frozen over so difficult to see the views from there at the moment but the mid section is at least white - Guess we'll see what it's like to ski on on Saturday! Laughing wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cannons going all over the shop - the resorts are doing their best to get the maximum open for the weekend. We skied in Les Saisies yesterday - though there's very little open yet. Very, very, thin cover on the pistes with no cannons - the ones we skied yesterday generally have the best cover in the resort, but the snow on them was bare minimal. I was suprised they were open at all, but they have the ideal aspect - east facing. South facing slopes with no cannons don't have much chance at our altitude (1600 - 2000m) I fear. But everything up at this level is white, because the last couple of centimetres of snow (which I think fell on Sunday - we arrived Sunday evening) has not melted at all, it's so cold. Looking very pretty, with every tree covered in white after quite a lot of freezing fog.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, Glad you made it safely - missed you at the soiree this year! O well, one thing's for sure - there's not a lot we can do about it except enjoy being in the mountains again and hopefully at some stage there will be more of the white stuff during the next week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not much snow at all low down here in LGB and what there is is skied out. There's no way you could ski down to the resort and the Joyere Sector is closed (which is a shame as we were going to go for a practice with the kids after lessons).

Having said that it's currently snowing.

Having said that it's forecast to rain on Wednesday.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Raining in town at the moment and that lovely snow that fell yesterday afternoon is all slush.

Will have to see what awaits us higher up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Higs, We were staying in Chinaillon 19th - 26th. Reading the horror stories about the tunnel and the fact that so many easyjet flights were cancelled on the 18th and 19th we are still counting ourselves extremely lucky to have got away on our flight to Geneva first thing on the 19th.
The Joyere Section only opened up the last couple of days we were there and was very bald really - but the compensation was that higher up, the Annes sector opened up on Boxing Day and there was some lovely skiing to be had there on our last day. Hopefully you will find it the same if you go over there. Even when it had been raining at resort level (like Christmas Eve!) we managed to find some nice areas a bit higher up so hope you do too. Going back on 23rd Jan so will be watching the weather forecasts with a keen eye!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good conditions generally today in Chinaillon... Pistes had quite a few 'firm' patches low down but way more snow than I expected for the altitude (the good old 'Aravis effect')...
Still some nice soft snow to be had in the Freeride zone off Lachat, and down the Black run (Lachat?) though some scrapy patches/rocks/grass in places...
Also skiers left of Gypaete still had some soft snow around the avalanche bariers hard left (usual warnings apply..), and we had an interesting run heading down the south side of Lachat with a bit of steep grass skiing to access some awesome powder before the path out to the Duche chair..
Car park & restaurants seemed v.busy today, but pistes/queues were fairly quiet on the whole... happy days...

Possibly a couple of pics to follow..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We had an enjoyable week skiing some pretty poor conditions last week. To be honest, if we lived there, we'd have skied Thursday and maybe a couple of the mornings. But we'd driven two days to get there for a week and we were damn well going to enjoy it. So we did.

Not surprised things are better now though - it snowed a fair bit on Friday night and people were using chains to get off the campsite when we left on Sat morning.

We're back again for Easter so I'll check in to the thread again mid-March and have a look.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
offpisteskiing, Back of Lachat to Duche sounds fun. I know the path you mean but do you go straight south off the top or traverse east or west to start with? I thought there were some cliffs on the south side of lachat. Hope to see your pics soon
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone got anything to report?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I live in Manigod, which is one of the main La Clusaz ski areas, I was out yesterday and skied Manigod, Etale, Aiguille and Balme. There is no shortage of snow (at the top there is 270cms) it is though pretty hard everywhere but generally not icy and I had a fantastic time on my grand slalom skis as the pistes are not busy and beautifully groomed which meant I could really get some speed up and pull some G!! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quick report of today's conditions. I skied the Etale sector of La Clusaz. Conditions similar to my last post, the snow is holding up very well the base is firm but not icy and is easy to get a good edge. Minus 6 first thing minus 2 at 3pm. It was mostly a beautiful clear sunny day but there were a few clouds in the afternoon and a few snow flurries in the late afternoon at the top.
snow report
Ta for the report - we arrive Le Grand Bornand on the 28th so hoping the snow hangs around for another couple of weeks yet.

We were there for Easter a couple of years ago and it was superb - fresh snow most nights, sunshine every day.
ski holidays
I have skied in la Clusaz on the last day of the season for the last 10 years and have skied to the bottom of the La Blame lifts every year, I don't think you have to worry about a lack of snow. Hope you have a great time in Grand Bo.

Easter is often superb here - ski in the morning when the snow is harder and board in the afternoon when it softens up!! Or as you say take advantage of the off piste in the powder dumps that we often get during April. And of course not forgetting lunch time to sit outside a restaurant and soak up the sun.

It's good living in paradise.
latest report
Great day skiing in La Balme today, sunny and not many people around. Pistes pretty hard packed but no ice, no problem getting an edge. Found some really great spring snow in the off piste later in the day.
snow report
Interesting watching the truckloads of snow being brought in by road last week.
snow report
Truckloads of snow? Must be expensive.

When we went to La clusaz back in March 2001 there was hardly any snow at the bottom of the pistes so it was hard to ski from area to area - seem to remember skiing on grass at the bottom of the croix fry area. It was also raining in the town. Is this typical weather at La Clusaz resort level or were we very unluckly? Maybe 2001 was a bad year for snow. I would like to ski there again but with better conditions.

La clusaz seems to have a lot of fans on snow heads so I assume other people have been there with better snow conditions.
latest report
Any update?

Looking at the weather sites it all looks a bit warm and slushy this week.
ski holidays
Mrs Higs reports that, despite the rather green view from the chalet, the snow is good when you get up there - better than it was at New Year. Reckons it could be soft by this afternoon though. I'm in chalet with poorly son watching Alladin. Will swap over at lunchtime and enjoy my slush-about regardless. Looking forward to son feeling better tomorrow and more snow (and lower temps) over the week.
snow report
Thanks for the update - keep us posted Higs - due in Chinaillon on Saturday...... Smile
ski holidays
it was harsh to call it slush on Monday pm but it was definitely spring snow with the odd ski stopper. This am was good too but about lunchtime the heavy snow started so we skiied 'til 1, had lunch, picked the kids up and called it a day. More snow forecast overnight and a bit tomorrow with temps dropping through the week. Chinaillon should be fine Sat - we skied down to the bottom of the Gettiers and Floria lifts today on good snow.
ski holidays
Gesterday ... Great snow, zero queues, good visibility and free beer.

Ok, I lied about the beer.

And the visibility.

Today... More of the same really. There's a foot of fresh snow on and off piste and it is forecast to clear up by midday.
latest report
Been watching it on the web cams - great timing for me. Just hope we get some sun too - got to go back to work with a tan.
ski holidays
Typical. Sun comes out just as we get phone call to say daughter's broken her leg.
snow conditions
Higs, Shocked Oh dear, poor kid. Hope she's OK.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Simply superb today. Great snow under blue skies. My last ski of the season. Mrs Higs will be out tomorrow with unbroken daughter. For anyone here next week I hope you get good weather because you've got the snow.
snow report
Quote:

Great snow under blue skies

Yes, couldn't be bettered. And here, at any rate, the slopes were almost entirely deserted. Even given my rather timid approach to powder skiing - needing to stay near the piste for rapid escape if necessary - I had no problem finding untracked snow. For those of a more adventurous disposition it would have been incredible.
latest report
Got to LGB on Saturday, cloudy but good snow. Snowed a lot on Sunday which meant Monday was superb. Best I've skiied for a while. Icy start to a very sunny Tuesday however everything's warming up and it's rainy today and forecast the same for tomorrow. Looking at Snow-Forecast the freezing levels are way up so it's not going to get better any time soon. Should be enough snow for us this week - fingers crossed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy