Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Few Questions on Ski Clothing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys/Girls

I'll be going on my first skiing holiday in February; I'm heading to Val Thorens for a week.

This will be the first time I've gone skiing properly, I've been a couple of times to the Xscape snow dome in Glasgow.

Obviously I've got to get a some gear, and this is where I get a bit confused; as I'm not sure what I'll need to buy.
Currently I have these jackets:

North Face 3 in 1 Jacket, Similar to the one in the link, but not as new
North Face Plasma Thermal Jacket (not this one, last years)

and I have a couple of fleeces etc.. too

The first thing I've bought are some Oakley Crowbar Pink Iridium goggles.

So, I'm thinking I need Salopettes, Ski Socks, Gloves and some kind of thermal gear.
As I have no experience what are the best ones? I've been looking at Salomon and North Face Salopettes, but I don't know which ones are best suited for skiing.
As for the thermals, I've got some Skins Long Tights and tops that I wear when I go running. Shall they suffice, or should I buy snow specific thermal stuff?

Thanks for the help!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saloman or TNF salopettes should be fine, if you have a go out doors or tk max (very hit and miss) near you check them out for cheaper.

how are you with cold? i use skins shorts or other compression brands, merino is also good, for baselayers, personally i prefer the shell and layers approach rather then one big warm jacket.

Sock wise, go for smartwool or something similar with thin or med padding. Gloves wise best try some and get a good close fit/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a read of Masque's excellent article about ski clothing, see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
Plus there are lots of good supplementary notes from other Snowheads.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
creamegg, Welcome to snowHead Val T can get windy, go for layers, Skins are good you can wear them under Salopettes, You will need a base layer merino is teh way to go at the moment, check out Embers Merino or Finesterre, cheaper than Ice Breaker, then a mid layer again you can go merino or medium thickness fleece (or use what you have), Decathlon are good for these all depend on what want to pay, socks aspapasmurf, says go for a proper ski sock, you don't need a pair for every day 3 for a weeks should to just wash them out at the end of each day. Glove choice if you suffer from cold hands then mittens are a better option. Then you have the Hat or helmet choice Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the help guys.
Few other things:

Do you think the jackets I have shall be suitable.
How would I layer it? Skins > Normal T-Shirt > Fleece > Jacket?

As for the Salopettes, I'm guessing it's best to have insulated ones?
I've been looking at The North Face Freedom Insulated Pants or maybe the Highlander Insulated Pants. But I'm not too sure on the difference?
I've been looking at Solomon ones too, but they don't seem to be insulated. Surely they need to be, it's going to be cold; what else would I wear?!?

Socks? Which ones Bridgedale or Smartwool?

And should I buy a pair of Snow Skins, I've been reading that 3/4 length ones are best so they don't interfere with the boot or the sock?

So for the legs is it just Skins + Socks > Insulated Salopettes?

Cheers for the help, I just want to make the right purchases!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It may not be "that" cold in February. Quite possibly only about -3 to -5 or there abouts. TBF I've been "lucky/unlucky" and only really had mostly sunny weather when I've been skiing. I skied in January and March the last two years, and although I own a pair of cheap thermal leggings I have hardly worn them as I've been fine without. The one time I did wear them, the sun came out and I cooked! I've been fine down to about -8 at the top of the glacier in Tignes in cheap Trespass Jacket, La Fuma Salopettes (emergency purchase in resort as cheapy TK Maxx Trespass split on day 1), themal (ish) top, jacket and light fleece. OH generally wears helmet, long sleeved t-shirt, posh expensive jacket, ancient salopettes and is fine like that in similar temperatures. His fancy "space shuttle material" socks are apparently warmer than my smartwools (he nicked a pair of mine last year and then moaned they were not very warm!)

Fleece is only necessary when sitting on long open lifts.

If you are wearing fancy thermals, think about underwear choice. Cotton pants between you and the wicking properties of the thermal can get quite cold on a chairlift...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Normal T-Shirt

Not cotton. Something wicking at the least. Otherwise you'll be damp 'n' cold. Brrrr
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy