Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for precription ski goggles?

Poster: A snowHead
I have tried and tried with this sort of thing but none are satisfactory due to the fogging issue (the goggles basically with the inserts). Can anyone tell me if there is a manufacturer and retailer who'll sell a goggle with the prescription actually built in to the goggle lens?

A couple of years ago someone said Uvex do such a goggle but I haven't been able to find it!

Any help much appreciated!

Kevin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use contact lenses nowadays so don't have the faff with glasses, but I reckon someone must do this... a few years ago I had my scuba diving mask lens replaced with a prescription lens - worked a treat but now that i don't dive it's a bit of a bummer for it's resaleability on eBay!

If they do it in diving masks, someone must do it for ski goggles..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think Bolle were the first to produce cycling glasses (in the early 90's IIRC) that you could add lenses to. Might be worth checking them out to see if things have advanced.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I haven't found anyone who does a completely built in lens, altho I can't believe they don't exist. My son has just had a prescription insert made for his Adidas googles but hasn't tested them out yet but we're aware that there will probably be fogging issues.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You wouldn't think this would be so difficult to find, but i've had a good search round and can only find inserts.... odd.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lots of relevant stuff referenced here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=893905&highlight=prescription+lenses+goggles#893905

And more here - I haven't re-traced the links but I think this one turned up a pair of prescription glazed goggles.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49080#1160431
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
These look a bit odd, but I am sure this puts the insert into the goggle lense http://www.ski-prescription.com/category.php?catid=1

Now all they need to do is to remove the frame of the lense so you can't see it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also, these - which might actually be a prescription goggle lense as we are all looking for http://www.rxskigoggles.com/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm on a roll!! http://www.ski-n-see.com/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, thanks for the links, I'll have a look at them, I can't believe it can't be done!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
steph, I've always felt the same, the links above seem to favour the lens inset into the 'pane' of the goggle lense, and it looks too contrived for my liking. I too have never seen why they can't just make an optically correct 'pane' to the entire goggle. Mind you with any of them the cost is soooo off-putting, which is why, although such a creation is my 'holy grail' of ski gear, I resort to the contacts that my optician tells me I can use on high days and holidays and a standard pair of goggles.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I became a convert just for skiing to the daily disposable contact lens for exactly the reason you are having ie. fogging and also having to scrabble in the snow after a head plant looking for glasses that had come off. I now have normal goggles and sun glasses a joy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had my eyeballs lasered and I can highly recommend it. No fogging there snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, i guess the frame is too flexible. has to bend to your face?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It takes me about 2 hours in the morning to get contact lenses in and I usually can't be arsed, so I have a pair of these:

http://www.extreme-eyewear.co.uk/eyewear/oakley_sunglasses/monster_dog/view/1/

They are not cheap, but unless you specifically need goggles they are the schizzle, frankly.
Incidentally Extreme Eyewear in Castleford were very good for me when I ordered these.
snow report
ChickenDhansak, Perhaps, but I'm surprised that technology can't cope with the curve to fit the fame of the goggle, which after all by their nature hold the lenses at a fixed distance from the face, some mathematical adjustment to the thickness based on the 'curve' must surely be possible.
snow report
I just wear Bolle OTG goggles over my normal glasses. Clean both with scott anti fog solution. Dont have a problem with fogging as long as I'm wearing my helmet (which I always do). Tried it once without helmet and instant steam up

If you dont have antifog solution, clean them with washing up liquid or rub raw potatoe on them (old scuba trick, that works well)
snow report
Megamum, Strangely enough I spoke to our mutuelle company today and they confirmed that should I be able to find a company that makes them and should our optician give my son a prescription for them, they will pay the whole cost! I already have the prescription for the inserts so I know they are covered but our optician doesn't think you can get the whole pane as a prescription. I'm not sure why it can be done for scuba diving masks but not ski googles, or ar the mask inserts too. All very confusing now!
latest report
Cos scuba masks are made from 2 flat panels. Ski masks are a single curved panel. Easy to make flat lenses, curved the same as a ski lens very difficult
snow report
madmole, Yeah, but NASA put a man on the moon in 1968, I can't believe that the technology couldn't cope and relatively cheaply too. Look what they do to make a contact lens, its only a giant reversal!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy