Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chairlifts and babies

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Maybe it's so we don't have to put up with screaming babies all day Razz
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there are pedestrian chairlifts in most resorts - but the mounting and dismounting points are generally quite different from those for skiers and the lifts we use here stop for pedestrians to get on and off, onto a nice firm and non slidey platform. And any you can go up, you can go down. and a baby would travel on your front, not your back! As for altitude and babies, I've no idea - perhaps it depends where they are born and what they're used to. Plenty of babies are born in places like Johannesburg, after all, and a fair number survive. But I'd be concerned about the cold when it's very cold - and anyone who has got stuck on a cold chairlift for half an hour will be aware of the difficulties. I would never ski with a baby on my back, no matter how big and strong I was - unless it was strapped into a complete neck and head brace, and only then in an emergency. I agree with flangesax - it's crazy. And I'm not over-protective - my babies went camping in Africa etc. even walking on an icy pavement with a baby in a front carrier would bother me - they're safer in a buggy.

Babies certainly do go up in plane - but they also scream blue murder sometimes - my third had to travel quite a lot, quite young, and I was usually able to solve the problem by breastfeeding her (plenty of room in British Airways Business Class wink ). Any adult who has suffered the excruciating ear pain you can get on planes (I've only had it once but it was horrible) might hesitate to risk it unnecessarily.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w....are we agreeing on something?.. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I laughed last night at ed123's joke.

ed123 wrote:
stoatsbrother, hence " How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?"

So I tried it on my wife. I was in the living room, she was in the kitchen, so not the optimal travel path for the soundwaves.

Her answer:

"Who's Harris?"
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Please note: there is absolutely no suggestion of anyone skiing with a baby in a rucksack. The question is only about taking a wee-un in a front-mounted sling or papouse, on a chair, and whether or not this is likely to be allowed.

I do like that joke about the French though, so if nothing else this thread was worth it for that alone.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

Given that your not supposed to go on a chairlift with a rucsac - then any sort of papoose arrangement is not going to work. The baby will get trapped between you the bar and the seat back. Also any straps on your back can get hung up on the seat back with the consequences you can see on many a youtube clip. Its a bad idea. Do you have a specific resort in mind ? I cant think of any (apart from Glencoe) that allow pedestrians on chairlifts in the winter.

That's a load of dangley bits...

You can take rucksacks on chairlifts, and on any lift I've ever been on there would have been room for me to hold a baby on my lap*. Ischgl lets you go pedestrian on a chairlift without skis (hilarious with my grandma lol), and I'm pretty sure Westendorf/Ski Welt do as well, which could suggest that most of the Austrian resorts with modern chairlifts would?

*No idea if it's advisable, and hopefully will be a fair few years before I have to think about it lol!

The fact that some folks do take rucksacks on lifts doesn't make it allowable or safe. If you look at the signage at the entrance to chairlifts and pay attention to the dos and donts you'll see the no rucksacks sign.

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-417.html on the 3rd or 4th page shows the entrance signage with the no rucksacks sign very clear.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

Given that your not supposed to go on a chairlift with a rucsac - then any sort of papoose arrangement is not going to work. The baby will get trapped between you the bar and the seat back. Also any straps on your back can get hung up on the seat back with the consequences you can see on many a youtube clip. Its a bad idea. Do you have a specific resort in mind ? I cant think of any (apart from Glencoe) that allow pedestrians on chairlifts in the winter.

That's a load of dangley bits...

You can take rucksacks on chairlifts, and on any lift I've ever been on there would have been room for me to hold a baby on my lap*. Ischgl lets you go pedestrian on a chairlift without skis (hilarious with my grandma lol), and I'm pretty sure Westendorf/Ski Welt do as well, which could suggest that most of the Austrian resorts with modern chairlifts would?

*No idea if it's advisable, and hopefully will be a fair few years before I have to think about it lol!

The fact that some folks do take rucksacks on lifts doesn't make it allowable or safe. If you look at the signage at the entrance to chairlifts and pay attention to the dos and donts you'll see the no rucksacks sign.

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-417.html on the 3rd or 4th page shows the entrance signage with the no rucksacks sign very clear.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Everywhere I've ever been allows rucksacks so long as you wear them on your front. Which is where the baby sling/papouse I hypothetically mention would be - on the front.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Of course rucksacks are allowed. You just aren't allowed to wear them on your BACK and you either have to hold them or wear them accross your chest; Although that is often not enforced and many people wear a well packed (flatish) one on the lifts.

I used the lifts in Italy to get to lunch with friends, when I'd torn knee ligaments and couldn't ski. I pointed at my knee and gave a thumbs down jesture to the top liftie and they slowed the lift for me to get off and gave me a hand. When coming down though you need a good head for heights. It looks a lot worse when pointing down the mountain.

Can't comment on the babies and altitude thing.

adrian
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
After skiing all last season with my backpack on my back on the lifts, in all the different areas of St Anton (including training for taking beginners on lifts) and Saalbach, also a trip this season to the Stubaier Gletscher, and past experience across the Ski Welt and in Ischgl, amongst other resorts, I've never once had a problem, or been told not to wear a pack on my back. Even during instructor training. Nor have I seen (well, noticed) any signs.

If you're talking about France you could well be right though, I wouldn't know as I've never skied there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="paulio"]Please note: there is absolutely no suggestion of anyone skiing with a baby in a rucksack. The question is only about taking a wee-un in a front-mounted sling or papouse, on a chair, and whether or not this is likely to be allowed.[quote]

No worries paulio it wasin garbure we trust that mentioned this and I think it needed to be flamed!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've skied with a rucsac in every ski resort i've skied in with no problems - I do (almost) always remove it and carry it though. Buckles can get caught (i've come close a couple of times), so if you keep it on your back there is a very very small chance you may get stuck on the lift dangling via your rucsac.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ropetow and others, some lifts at some resorts.

I find I can get on most lifts ok without transferring the pack to the front. Combination of a lid and a pack is a great way of getting a safety bar to the head.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy