Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chairlifts and babies

Poster: A snowHead
So let's say you're a non skier, going on a trip with some skiers, to a ski resort. Let's say that the resort in question has a pedestrian ticket option, that allows the use not only of gondolas and cable cars but also a couple of the more modern chairlifts.

With me so far? Let's also say that the pedestrian party have a 7mth old BABY with them, and want to ascend the hill for lunch, but would have to do so via a chairlift.

Is that allowed, can it be done? I'm not assuming that the baby will sit on the seat, more that he or she would be in some sort of harnessed papouse arrangement.

Anyone done this? Is it likely to be a) liftie's discretion, b) at your own risk but yes, or c) you'll be refused entry?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds to me like you would want to call the Lift or Tourist office of the resort. Personally I wouldn't do it but I understand your dillema. I didn't take my son to a ski resort until he was 18 months old and I live in the Alps but maybe I'm just an OPP.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
surely the problem isn't so much the getting up (if allowed on the chairlift in the first place) as a pedestrian could easily dismount and clear the area just as well as lots of skiers and certainly beginner boarders, but actually getting back down after lunch or having a walk around.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm assuming that the pedestrian lift pass allows you to ride the chair back down again, rather than insisting you learn to ski whilst up there in order to descend.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From the leaflet issued by the creche in 2Alpes:

"Altitude
Changes in air pressure on the way up to resort can damage your baby’s ears and increase the risk of ear infections. You are recommended to drive slowly, stop often and give your baby something to suck in order to encourage him to swallow and take the pressure off his eardrums.

It is not advisable to take babies and toddlers up to high altitude – the recommended maximum is 1200m for babies under a year old and 1500m for those under 18 months. You should not consider taking young children any higher than 2500m."

If you really want to do it, ask at the lift office first but expect a lot of disapproving finger-wagging from the ticket-selling ladies.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, that's good info, thanks.

1200m! That's a pretty meagre maximum.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio, just go somewhere like Wengen where it's not an issue, as you can use the train instead.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Given that your not supposed to go on a chairlift with a rucsac - then any sort of papoose arrangement is not going to work. The baby will get trapped between you the bar and the seat back. Also any straps on your back can get hung up on the seat back with the consequences you can see on many a youtube clip. Its a bad idea. Do you have a specific resort in mind ? I cant think of any (apart from Glencoe) that allow pedestrians on chairlifts in the winter.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would not take a baby on a chairlift and think the Lifties won't let you! Certainly here in L2A (in gondalas and eggs) the lift company don't recomend you taking young babies or children on the lifts because of there ears....it is possible but at your own risk!! Here I think its more about the amount you assend/decend in one go as this rule is for the lift to Venosc to which going down from 1650 (resort hight). Would deffinatley be worth speaking to the lift company or a ski school would prob have this information.

Your party could always come and meet you at a restraunt at resort level for lunch....where are you going?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We took our very young baby up the lifts in the summer. She was born at 1000m so i wasn't too worried about going above 1600!
In my area it is pretty normal to see parents with little ones in the summer.
The lifties radio up to the top and the lift is slowed down on arrival. Same when getting on as well...
I don't tend to see it as much in the winter - and if we organise a mid-mountain-meet then we normally choose somewhere serviced by a gondola - then we can take the buggy as well!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, That altitude info re ears is pretty rubbish isn't it? Every time you fly in a commercial plane you will be at an effective altitude of 2000m or higher - usually with a climb rate equal to that in most Gondolas, but perhaps less than some of the faster Cable-cars. However - I would not have taken either of ours on a Chair at that age. Too wiggly and squiggly.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would only take a 3 yr old or under in an enclosed bubble lift/cable car that you walk on to (not one where you keep skis on).

We took our three yr old on a fast open chairlift at puy st vincent and I was terrified she would fall out...didn't realise how far it would go up the mountain when we foolishly got on.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stoatsbrother, I have thought that as well. However, that's the advice which is given here by doctors, creche and parents, and as I have no babies I stay out of the argument.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, I would say that UK babies that have flown out are probably safer to go up the gondolas - as they will have had their eustachian tubes and pressure equalisation mechanisms well and truly tested on the flight.

The French have an interesting attitude to kids health. I did a Paediatric rotation in Sydney - where we looked after the sick kids flown in from one of the french dependencies - there was a difference between the way the Francophones and every other group behaved. And then there was the time we drove through France with a non-infectious child with scabbed over chicken pox... The screams of horror from middle-aged French matrons who made it clear the precious little darling ought to be at home, warmly wrapped up and being fed tisanes and soups... Confused

Maybe if they made their kids MTFU, their Army might be more successful Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother, are you harping on about a 70-year-old war yet again? Really, it's about time the British moved on from that whole Winston Churchill, blitz spirit, finest hour, drone, yawn business. I'm sure at least something of significance must have occurred since then, surely. And please don't use this as an excuse to drone on about some tedious footy competition during the 60s. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
stoatsbrother,

I think aircraft are have an internal pressure of 8000-10000ft equivalent when they are crusing at 38,000ft
snow report
I must say I'm inclined to - not ignore exactly - but maybe 'flout' those altitude recommendations a teeny wee bit.

Over 3000 might be pushing it, but 2500 is pretty safe, surely. Otherwise why would, say, Val Thorens bother having a creche that can take a 6mth old?

Interesting debate on here, thanks guys.
snow report
johnboy, about 8000 ft (2438 m) I think.
snow conditions
Lizzard, Dien Ben Phu and Algeria mean nothing to you?.
ski holidays
Our little (3 week old) daughter is coming up the mountain with us this winter, there are no issues with the lift company (well most of the lifties are our mates having said that), we take turns skiing while the other baby sits with lots of help from all the people in the bar Very Happy Goes down very well! Just need to be happy skiing down with her (i'm pretty big and a very experienced skiier), so that you don't risk falling or getting swiped, and that they are well wrapped up and sharing your body heat - just because you are hot doesn't mean they are.

There do seem to be altitude issues with very young babies who are not use to it though. They get all pissed off for a few days - we live at 1250m and don't have too much effect but we have freinds who are refuge gardians (2500m) and have thier two children with them up there. Stepahnie only came down from the refuge to give birth and then the babies came back up, but she reccons it look a little while for them to get use to it, especially on returning to altitude after the off season. They gernally have shorter breaks between feeds and don't sleep as well for a bit.
ski holidays
My doc knew I was taking our (then) four month old skiing and she never said a word. In resort I did get quite a few comments about it though. Have to admit she slept rubbish, but other than that was fine. We went to Courchevel. Dont think I'd take one so young again. Maybe it was just a coincidence?
snow conditions
Emerson came with us a 9 weeks and 14 weeks and he was fine. We were at 1350. I am not sure I would do a chair lift at that age (especailly as cold) but gondola yes indeed.
ski holidays
in garbure we trust,
Quote:

Our little (3 week old) daughter
Congratulations! Do post a photo!
latest report
stoatsbrother, nearly as much as Iraq and Afghanistan. Let's refrain from infantile 'my Dad's bigger than your Dad' idiocy, shall we?
snow conditions
Babies seem to survive at altitude in many other parts of the world even in such safety concsious places as America women ssem quite happy to have babies in Denver Alt 1600m.
Both my children went as babies to resorts above 1500m I suspect the advice to restrict babies to an altitude of 1200m has very little evidence or logic to back it up.
ski holidays
T Bar, I suspect it has more to do with taking them up and down and the changes in air pressure which that involves, rather than the actual altitude per se.
snow conditions
Lizzard, exactly- but the pressure change in a climbing aricraft is much greater
ski holidays
ed123, I shall watch with interest next time I have the misfortune to be on a flight with a baby to see if its head explodes. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, I forgot my place - we are an annoying nation of wimps and safety nazis... thank you for enriching our lives oh wise one wink
ski holidays
Lizzard, anyway I thought you didn't like babies on planes- if a baby's head did explode - and if you were nearby how would anyone know that it was the altitude and not you?

Same goes for babies on chairlifts.

Ha
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
stoatsbrother, are you harping on about a 70-year-old war yet again?

Second time in this thread I'm in complete agreement with you.... the world is turning upside down.

A couple of factoids for our island pals.

During the main fighting in the summer of 1940 the French were losing soldiers at a faster rate than during WW1.

It was the sacrifice of the French Army that let the BEF and some French Forces escape from Dunkirk to fight another day. Without the phyric victory of Dunkirk there was a good chance that Britain would have fallen... even with Dunkirk there were strong currents towards a peace agreement with Hitler as Andrew Marr's recent series made clear.
ski holidays
davidof, actually I don't think anyone except Lizzard mentioned WW 2

I was casting doubt on the entire record of the French Military since 1067... Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

Just need to be happy skiing down with her (i'm pretty big and a very experienced skiier), so that you don't risk falling or getting swiped, and that they are well wrapped up and sharing your body heat - just because you are hot doesn't mean they are.

in garbure we trust,
Now this is a totally different argument and I think worth a thread on its own...
My view of this is that it is incredibly dangerous, has far too much risk attached and not in any way responsible.
I get so cross when I see people on the pistes with baby back-packs. It is just too dangerous to comprehend, the windchill temp in addition to the risk of an idiot behind you in combination with your weight in a slip/slide/fall will just offer death to a baby.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, hence " How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?"

"Nobody knows"
snow report
ed123, indeed Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Given that your not supposed to go on a chairlift with a rucsac - then any sort of papoose arrangement is not going to work. The baby will get trapped between you the bar and the seat back. Also any straps on your back can get hung up on the seat back with the consequences you can see on many a youtube clip. Its a bad idea. Do you have a specific resort in mind ? I cant think of any (apart from Glencoe) that allow pedestrians on chairlifts in the winter.

That's a load of dangly bits...

You can take rucksacks on chairlifts, and on any lift I've ever been on there would have been room for me to hold a baby on my lap*. Ischgl lets you go pedestrian on a chairlift without skis (hilarious with my grandma lol), and I'm pretty sure Westendorf/Ski Welt do as well, which could suggest that most of the Austrian resorts with modern chairlifts would?

*No idea if it's advisable, and hopefully will be a fair few years before I have to think about it lol!
snow report
Lizzard,
Quote:

T Bar, I suspect it has more to do with taking them up and down and the changes in air pressure which that involves, rather than the actual altitude per se.

Quote:

It is not advisable to take babies and toddlers up to high altitude – the recommended maximum is 1200m for babies under a year old and 1500m for those under 18 months. You should not consider taking young children any higher than 2500m."

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
Maybe cos their little hearts wouldn't be able to pump enough blood (i.e. oxygen) . Just a thought.
snow report
martinm,
They manage it in Denver and many other places.
latest report
martinm, but not a brilliant one - see comments above about pressurised aircraft. In fact newborn babies are used to surviving in an oxygen depleted environment and their haemoglobin has an enhanced avidity for oxygen compared with you and I.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy