Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing on piste is too dangerous!

Poster: A snowHead
PG, SimonN,

I concede that truly advanced skiers probably don't find the level of awareness required to ski quickly with lots of other skiers around mentally exhausting. But I suspect that most others here and indeed anywhere are not truly advanced skiers and would have to pay a little more than casual or reflexive attention. I have to.

A tennis ball still needs 0.53 seconds to cover the length of a tennis court at 100mph (sorry, didn't bother to look up exact length of a crease). Also, you can predict exactly when it's coming and which way it's likely to go by being able to observe the serve/delivery. You need no further neurophysiological explanation for why you can hit it than the reaction times I have already described. The simplest single choice visual stimulus with simple reaction time is 0.22 seconds. Any skiing event occurring in your path that might require evasive action would be classified as a recognition reaction time, with a quoted minimum of 0.384 seconds, for what would still only be for a simple reaction to the stimulus. These figures are in the best possible experimental circumstances of expectation, and while a change in direction on skis may feel instant, it isn't (just watch the slalom skiers through closed gates), and would be classified as a complex reaction to stimulus, and therefore take longer (add 0.5-1 second?). There just isn't such a thing as an "instant reaction".

Anyway, I feel we are all singing from the same hymn sheet. I ski faster than the average skier. I ski fast past people. But I think I'm safe for the speed I go at, and am acutely aware of potential fixed and mobile hazards ahead, for which I compensate appropriately. snowHead

BTW PG, Ta, again

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 8-09-05 11:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Expert skiers may well be responsible for relatively few collisions. However, high speed in the wrong placve (beginner slopes or crowded home runs, for example) makes collisions more likely (even though the fault may lie elsewhere) and the consequences worse.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 1-03-05 10:23; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richmond,

Quite right.

Though I didn't realise that fact was known in Ancient Rome.

Quote:

wrong placve

Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
slikedges wrote:
richmond,

Quite right.

Quote:

wrong placve

Little Angel

rubbish, quite, quite wrong.

If you're an expert skier you're not going to be traveling too fast to avoid obstacles or react to to the unexpected.

Expert skiers are not responsible for relatively few collisions, they're responsible for no collisions, that's the point of being an expert.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ise,

You're right. I suppose I saw that as "FAST skiers may well be RESPONSIBLE for very few ACCIDENTS." Blush

Of course any self-proclaimed experts must realise that they relinquish this title whenever they are involved in any accident (even if no contact is made) on the move in which they were the uphill skier.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ise, cobblers. A definition of 'expert' which requires that s/he never makes a mistake is useless, as no-one will be classified as an expert. Anyway, my statement that 'high speed in the wrong place (beginner slopes or crowded home runs, for example) makes collisions more likely (even though the fault may lie elsewhere) and the consequences worse' is true whether or not you believe that an expert would ski in such a manner.

The higher the average speed of skiers, the more and the worse accidents there will be, whoever those skiers are. It's not necessarily a big problem, but it is true.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 1-03-05 10:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slikedges wrote:
richmond,

Quite right.

Quote:

wrong placve

Little Angel

I see. You think that it would have been safe to ski through the streets of ancient Rome, do you? If you had bothered to do even the tiniest bit of research you would have found that more Romans were killed by people hurtling down hillls on bits of wood than by smoking.

Makes you think.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond,

Chill, man. What are you on? It was just in jest. No research.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slikedges, my reply was intended as a joke, too. Obviously not a very good one.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonny Jones,
I had my shoulder dislocated by a skier in a resort with hardly any other skiers about and when I was standing by a fence with acres of empty piste around me. He was simply a b****y idiot out of control who should never have been on the slope he was on.
I agree with your point about irresponsible resort operators. They do need to take control of the numbers of people they encourage, but this won't stop gung ho no brains from wiping other people out.
In the days of empty pistes and weeks of learning in ski school this wasn't an issue. But now there are people out there who can be on black runs within a day of first putting on skis. Other people's safety (or their own) doesn't seem to enter their heads. In some ways that's not surprising. One doesn't appreciate the dangers until (a) they are pointed out and/or (b) you learn by experience.
People aren't allowed out on the roads without training and ski slopes are increasingly in need of the same treatment.
It would be difficult to organise at first, but that's only because it is a new concept. Ski schools could take the initiative by placing more emphasis on safety. Piste patrols could easily be organised and we pay enough for lift passes so perhaps some of that money could be used.
Rant over Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jane, hard luck. But cheer up; it might have been a self appointed 'expert' who hit you, and not a bloody idiot at all.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What have I started! I think that everybody can agree that there are places where speed is inappropriate and that is when the main problems happen. However, even in those conditions an expert skier can travel faster than a non expert skier because of more control, anticipation and the ability to turn/stop faster and better.

However, there does seem to be a few on here that are following the same secret agenda as the anti-car lobby who attack speeding as the source of all know problems in the Western World. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SimonN, Think you started one of the more interesting threads of late, even if it was initially somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Very Happy
I have actually learnt a lot from this thread. You are absolutely right, everyone agrees that 'inappropriate' use of speed is a no-no. However 99.9% also believe it is 'Them not Me' !

And what have I learnt? Very Simple .. 'Beware those skiers who consider themselves better than others'. No problem fundamentally with that as compared to me everyone else is ' Expert'! My problem is that some believe 'Better is Safer'/

The problem being that takes no account of the non-competents on the slopes like me.

Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I find the following rules help keep me safe:
1. assume everyone else is an incompetent out of control idiot.
2. it is not paranoia to assume that yes, they are all out to get you.
3. only stop behind large immovable objects like trees and lift pylons.
4. avoid bottlenecks at the end of the day. Either get down the mountain early or go down late. Sit in the restaurant until they chuck you out and then drift slowly and leisurely down the mountain enjoying the sun going down and the feeling of being one of the last on the mountain.
5. avoid what I have heard called the 'muppett runs'. These are normally a bunch of nice cruisy blues that will be packed with racing wannabees, kids on blades, poor soles trying to improve, and people with hangovers who can't be bothered to ski anything else. These are the most dangerous runs in resort (IMO). There are normally other blues elsewhere that take a little effort to get to and are not half as busy. Go there instead.

Anyone got any other 'survival tips' out there?

PS - I drive according to rules 1 and 2 as well!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richmond,

Sorry. Embarassed

You're going to think I'm very stupid, but did the Romans really ski?
snow conditions
Quote:
poor soles trying to improve

Keep fish off the piste
snow report
Dave J,

I drive according to rules 3 and 4. Laughing
latest report
Dave J, 100% correct. Nothing to be added to that, other than that rule 1 should be "out of control, incompetent, blind, drunk idiot".
latest report
Quote:

it might have been a self appointed 'expert' who hit you,

hhmmm......... now there's a thought. No, no - if that was so that would make me a supremely talented, never before encountered master of technique/sublime skier/sheer perfection etc. Sadly even I don't think that's true.

Dave J, I love your rules - especially the one about drifting down slowly after everyone has gone home.

There are lots of comparisons here with driving ......... it made me think. Women drivers have fewer accidents than male drivers .............. is that a thread worth pursuing? Little Angel
ski holidays
Quote:

. Women drivers have fewer accidents than male drivers .............. is that a thread worth pursuing?

Oh, yes! Bring it on, girl Twisted Evil
snow report
slikedges wrote:
richmond, but did the Romans really ski?

Probably. They strike me as the sort of clever b@stards who would loved to have shown off by sliding down a hill faster than someone else.
snow report
Quote:

shown off by sliding down a hill faster than someone else.

kind of like how they drive then .........
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy