Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice:Skiing after a broken neck

Poster: A snowHead
Helen Beaumont, I have experience of drinking with your relations........ Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bev bish, why do you think BA is in financial difficulties rolling eyes . No 1 son accompanied him home too. The texts from Heathrow were illegible by the time they boarded the flight to Newcastle. Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Rareperk, julesb flew home (business class) but obviously that was a medical repatriation. I don't suppose the hospital would have allowed him to fly if it wasn't safe to do so. I don't think it was a comfortable experience, but the copious amounts of free drink he was given certainly helped. God knows how he would have coped with a delayed charter flight in a cramped plane.

I had thought earlier today that 'flying whilst getting absolutely 'ammered in the airport lounges might not be the best recuperation' ... but I thought better of it !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agenterre, Laughing Laughing .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, Laughing No wonder BA bumped us when we were in 3V last year - I should have known the Beaumonts were behind their "restructuring difficulties" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Flights are midweek with easyjet which have a reasonable amount of room for a short trip. We have already cancelled car hire (my wife doesn't fancy sole responsibility for driving up the mountain) and are taking Swiss public transport. I am hoping to be alot more comfortable by then, difference with julesb is that I haven't had surgery. Besides it'll be worth it when we get there.
bev bish, I have always worn helmets for "high risk" sports too. Skateboarding as a kid, climbing, cycling and for the last four years skiing! I am for free choice, don't knock people who do or don't. It's your life do what you want. First thing I said to the young driver who knocked me off bike was " your bloody lucky cause I bounce, you could have really hurt somebody else doing that" Then realised neck was hurting like hell.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rareperk, your doctor may tell you it's safe to fly, but I would expect your travel insurance wouldn't cover you for any complications resulting from your injury. I guess that's the real risk, rather than flying itself.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, Yes, agree completely but there are a couple of reasons why we could do with going out.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agenterre, I can'y imagine anyone doing, "business" after the amount of neck lubrication we got through flying Business Class. Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just a side issue to this...... if you are able to go skiing, - Remember to notify your insurers of this injury.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paul.kin, No skiing! Still have collar on and will do for another 4- 6 weeks and then who knows. I am planning on talking to insurer today but of course they will exclude anything to do with neck.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Naturally, and they will probably assume you are completely paralysed. All the insurers I contacted for quotes could not grasp that you could have a broken neck and not be quadraplegic.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just got a reply back by e mail from our insurers, we have an annual policy:

Thank you for your e-mail.

As this is not a pre existing medical condition, in that it was not known about prior to purchase, this will not effect your policy. Whilst travelling with any medical condition you would need to travel in accordance with doctors advice.

I hope this answers your query.
Kind Regards

Sounds promising even if I were to slip on the ice on the way back from the pub and exacerbated neck injury I'd be covered, just the same as any of my family.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rareperk, definitely promising. We had to renew our policy while JulesB was still recovering which I suppose is very different. I recently had a similar response from our insurers, as both of ous sons are insured as dependent students, one is no longer a student, but is still covered until the renewal date according to Direct Travel. At least you have informed them of the accident, and they are happy to continue your policy unaltered. I think some SnowHeads may have had different responses in the past though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From my own experience, I came off my mountain bike on a DH course at Innerleithen in Aug '07, I broke T2 in my back and bust a few bones in my hand as I fell about 10ft llanding on my head and upper back and I must have punched the ground at some point too...... I was advised I would not be boarding for 6 months. Come March the following year I was boarding again, the only difference being I invested in suitable back armour and took things a little easier than normal. The body armour I was wearing when I came off my bike saved my life, the helmet was absolutely destroyed and the body armour pretty messed up also. I won't board now without a back support or helmet, although a little restrictive, I don't notice them when on the move.
ski holidays
ac505, I was thinking that some kind of neck protection would be useful for my first few outings even if it will just be for pyschological protection and confidence. Have had a quick look on a couple of websites just now. Glad to hear you made a good recovery.
snow report
Rareperk, hubby bought a Slytech back protector from SKi Bartlett http://www.skibartlett.com/slytech-2nd-skin-soft-back-protector-1194-p.asp . It was the only one that seemed to come high enough up the spine to give some protection.
snow report
Rareperk, and I have a rear facing head cam to see who's trying to take me from behind Shocked
snow report
JulesB, Not sure what to say about that. Did you find the whole process of doing things after your injuy incredibly tiring? I went out with Mrs rareperk yesterday, just for short trips in car a was completely wasted by the evening. General advice was take it really easy for two weeks then re-evaluate, might just have to rethink if going to Switz for Xmas is such a smart idea.
latest report
Rareperk, yes I did. A combination of restlessness, boredom and frustration, coupled with fatigue whenever I did the least thing.
snow report
Rareperk, unfortunately that did not mean that JulesB, could sleep at night, he seemed to spend most of it watching DVDs.
Even a trip in the car to his parents and back was tiring. As he couldn't drive and I was back at work he didn't go far either.
snow conditions
Hey Rareperk, I have a mate who is an Osteopath in the City, he also used to do seasons and treated loads of pro skiers and snowboarder (or so he claims, bloody show off!). Anyway he might be a good person to contact. You can find him at http://www.cityosteo.com/ I do have a private email for him, but I'm not sure he'd appreciate it being published. His name is Mike Nixon. Hope that helps.
snow report
monkey1, Thanks for that. I will keep the link for a few weeks time, I suspect it's a bit too soon for a Osteopath just yet. His website is very impressive!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 17-12-09 23:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
JulesB, I had a much better day today. Just stayed in and had a few visitors; my brother who'd been out for office Christmas bash last night and slept on the sofa most of the afternoon and a colleague from work who was much more entertaining.
snow conditions
Rareperk, I would avoid any physical therapy which involved manipulation after a C spine fracture. Physio and exercises yes.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, You are, I am sure, correct. I have posted a couple of images at http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1312. One is the initial C-spine film showing the step deformity at C3/4. Will try to get one of the MRI images sometime as it shows the comminuted fracture of facet joint pretty well. Bike photo speaks for itself.
snow report
Hi Rareperk, I'm Mike Nixon from City Osteopaths, monkey1 told me of your possible dilemma. Stoatbrother is probably right, I'd avoid manipulation at this stage, personally I never manipulate, ( i.e crack) necks. Its a good sign if there's no neurological involvment and you have a collar rather than pins! The nerve root emerges right next to the facet joint and if there was displacement of the joint and/or localised swelling you'd expect some neurological signs, i.e upper limb pains, weakness, loss of reflex etc etc.

Once your neck has been re xrayed,( most fractues heal in 6-8 weeks ), and its stable no reason why you shouldn't start physical therapy and get some movement back in your neck. Providing you can turn your head and are not suffering from prohibititive secondary pains skiing should be safe, assumming you're not hucking off cliffs!!

Hope thats useful, obviously its hard to go into too much detail without an examination
latest report
osteo, welcome to snowheads and thanks for the advice. hope to see you stick around
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
osteo, Can I add my thanks too. I don't feel as if been posting for long enough to welcome you, but for what it's worth, welcome. I have to say from what you have written you certainly seem to know what you are talking about. I discussed fixation in great detail with the neurosurgeon, who, you will understand I work with quite alot. His view was that an argument could be made either way for fixation but that if it were him he'd opt for conservative treatment too. More than good enough evidence for me! Luckily the bone fragments are away from nerve root and the posterior subluxation also gives plenty of room. I've since seen other people's MRI's that show nasty impingement, I quess those definately need fixation.
Your comments about rehab physio are encouraging. I am based in the north (close to NBT by the sounds of it) so unfortunately it's a bit unrealistic to avail myself of your services in the near future but thanks non the less for your support.
latest report
Rareperk - my husband had a similiar neck injury from a ski accident a couple of years before i met him. Sounds like the result (v. v. sore neck) and treatment was similiar. He didn't ski again that season but did so the following and was fine but less eager to throw himself down blacks any more. Then he took a break of 12 yrs (!) and was pounding the slopes again last year. Theres not been any long term damage or symptoms. (He was only 24/25 when it happened) Good luck!
snow report
Kiwi, Thanks for that. It seems all the evidence points to me being back on the skis either at the end of this season or maybe having to wait til next season. I don't have quite the same youthful advantage that your husband did when he hurt himself. Things definately take a bit longer to heal as you get older!
snow conditions
Rareperk, just wondering how you and your neck are getting on? Did you get to go away at Christmas?
latest report
Rareperk,
Quote:

It has five cracks through the styrene all concentrated over the left occiput. It was only 4 months old and although I can get a half price exchange new one I have decided to keep it

Shocked

As a souvenir, rather than to use, I hope?!!
latest report
Helen Beaumont, thanks for asking. Nothing much has changed for me yet. I am waiting for the follow-up MRI and flexion/extension X-rays. It was only six weeks post injury last wednesday so just trying to be patient.
We decided not go away to the Alps at Christmas, basically I realised, when it snowed at home, just how dangerous walking around on snow would be two weeks after my accident. That meant I'd spend most of the week inside an apartment going stir crazy, where as at home there is alot more room and more things to do. Not going away compromised a few things for us over Christmas, but there's always next year.
I have been investigating what neck protection is used in other sports. It seems moto-cross leads the way. A product called the Leatt Neck Brace works in tandem with your helmet to protect the cervical spine. I have had e-mail communiction with the designer/inventor who says it should work perfectly well with either a bike or ski helmet. It's quite an expensive piece of kit but what price.....?
Have yet to hear if JulesB, found his ski legs a year after his accident, I guess you may be best placed to tell me.

sproggski, definately as souvenir! I am getting to the point where I can bore just about anyone to death re-telling the story of my accident. Showing them the helmet and scans is highlight/lowlight depending on your perspective. On the positive side, showing it to some of my cycling mates' wives prompted them to buy their husbands new ones for Christmas.
snow conditions
Rareperk, julesb most certainly got his ski legs back, although for the first day or so (in our son's words) he was 'skiing like a granny ( my apologies to SnowHeads skiing grannies). By the end of the trip, he was more or less back to normal. For the first time in about a year, he isn't complaining about his neck or shoulder either. His Slytech back protector has neck protection, although not to the extent of the motocross equipment. It looks rather restricting to wear for skiing.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, glad to hear he is back to his best. Haven't tried on one of these Leatt Neck braces yet, I am assured by moto-cross enthusiasts (my cousin) you get alot of freedom of movement with them which is essential for their sport. As I understand it JulesB, had a low cervical fracture probably well covered by the Slytech, my fracture was/is quite high and I just feel it may be too exposed just above the top of the reinforcement.
At the moment I'd take skiing like a granny, it's got to be better than nothing!
latest report
Rareperk, it certainly is better than nothing. I was always certain he would want to ski again, although I'm having some confidence problems of my own.
ski holidays
Rareperk, it certainly is better than nothing. I was always certain he would want to ski again, although I'm having some confidence problems of my own.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy