Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Small Isere Resorts 2009-10

Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle wrote:
CharlieL, davidof, quel cauchemar! How long is this strike due to continue? (Some people are supposed to be going to the EoSB by train, I think...)

If they are on Eurostar its ok because it is idependant of the SNCF. The strikes have been going on ... on and off since November (although you claim for the last 40 years). Industrial relations in France are like Britain in 1976.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof, yeah. Bob Crow is a bit of a blast from past over here, though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
quick look at Chamrousse yesterday

http://youtube.com/v/C2R8mhC44zo
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, aw, what a smashing little fella! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, Brilliant, and the place looks just as magic as my memory of it. Funnily enough I met an ESF Chamrousse old boy here yesterday. I did tell him how much I loved his resort! Very Happy Junior is nicely stable, even in the deeper snow. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Because we are talking about Olympic Chamrousse i will give you some rate high quality footage of Peggy "ou-est Jean-Claude?" Fleming as a bonus

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidzof#p/a/u/1/wB3-r6uAlm8
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was up at Chamrousse today. Arrived around 11am. Few people around. All day pass now 17 euro. Snow was brick hard - derapage city. Off piste poor (clumpy and hard on top, deep soft slush under) so headed back to the piste. Softened up from around midday, and then was great for a couple of hours (Olypique femmes was in great shape). Finally gave up around 15.00 because the lower slopes were getting too soft (waxing your skis is a must if anyone is heading up there this w/e). Otherwise, had a good day. Nice lunch just up from the 1750 chair lift at Les Marmottes (see Davidof's post also earlier). Fantastic tarteflette roblechon (13 euro - though not so great for the cholesterol or bank ac(count) Happy) But a lovely place to sit down and admire the views. Bitter sweet day - though, as I've been up there so often this season, that I am really going to miss the place. Still scheduled to close this Sunday Sad

ps. Les Sept Laux may be staying open longer than April 18th (conditions permitting) when I checked their website a few days ago.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
quick update. 15 cm of fresh snow last night at Chamrousse Happy It might be busy over the w/e

Les Sept Laux closing at 17.00 on Sunday 18th. Same for Chamrousse.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CharlieL wrote:
quick update. 15 cm of fresh snow last night at Chamrousse Happy It might be busy over the w/e

Les Sept Laux closing at 17.00 on Sunday 18th. Same for Chamrousse.

It is a bummer but probably makes economic sense. i will probably be at Chamrousse sunday if you are thinking of going? Les 7 Laux is too freeride for the nipper.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hey davidof -- we're taking the kids up there tomorrow (we've got a 4 year old, well nearly, and a 13 year old - its a long story :0) though I might be able to get up there Sunday as well depending on what is happening at home! I'll send you a PM with my mobile number (maybe send me yours), it would be fun to meet up if we can both make it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Managed to ski until around 13.00 on Sunday before it got too heavy. Cloudy and overcast on the last day, but there were even a few flakes of snow early morning Happy Davidof, pity we didn't get to meet up. I don't know if you managed to make it up there. Desparately, scouring the web, I noticed that LDA was still open, but ... Looking forward to next year already.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Chalie,

glad you got up for the last day. I was ill in bed all weekend so obviously missed the end. We should organize our Grenoble meet up instead. My main problem is I'm in GVA from Tue to Thu every week.

Alpe d'Huez is open but you might be better driving to Orelle and getting some altitude. It is just the 40+ euro lift passes that put me off.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CharlieL, We are open next Saturday and the snow is fab. Very Happy Closed on sunday though. Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Cloudy and overcast on the last day, but there were even a few flakes of snow early morning

How strange, it was hot and sunny all day in Grenoble yesterday. Those cold beers really tasted good on the terasse.

I've hung my skis up for the season - a prety poor one for me this year for varius reasons. Might take la petitie up to Chamrousse for a final sledge ride on Saturday though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A month after les 7 Laux shut its doors we took a tour up there to see how the snow was doing. It had dumped another 20cm overnight and the snowline was down to 1350 meters and there was snow on the road from 1400. Fortunately the parking is at 1450m so my montepelier friends just made it without snow tires. Now the car-park might not have looked too promising

but the Mataru piste to the right (off photo) has snow canons and they had started snowmaking way back in mid-October 2009, this was the view from my house down the valley in October.

They'd obviously been expecting a warm winter because there was around 1 meter of glacial hard ice on the piste topped with 20cm of fresh snow. Work was supposed to have started on the new Oursiere 6 man chair this week but despite attacking the snow with pneumatic drills it was still impossible to get any of the gear up to where construction is supposed to start.

Good skiing here above the lac de la Jasse

Here a snowboarder we met seems to have stolen some child skis !

de la peuf:

and now the return to Pipay

The resort shut "early" this year. Not due to lack of snow but due to lack of interest by skiers, in part due to the very poor weather we had this winter (more here: http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/604/). It is a shame but they decided to close while they were still in profit rather than running the resort at a loss for the few skiers still interested after easter.

Anyway great conditions today.
latest report
thanks - looking good. Very Happy
ski holidays
and to round off the season. Chamrousse today

18th May and still possible to ski to resort level at 1650 meters.
snow report
Great report - was the gondola still running or was this a DIY exercise?
snow report
i'm guessing it's closed stevew.

does the resort get mobbed at the weekends? it looks like a major city in the background of the gondola shot Puzzled
ski holidays
rogg, I think it's Grenoble but I'd stand to be corrected
snow conditions
stevew, You are right - that is Grenoble. Lovely spot Chamrousse. See my report from earlier in the season. The lifts have been closed for almost a month now. NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE GO SKIING LATE IN THE SEASON. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Quote:

does the resort get mobbed at the weekends?

Yes! Unless the weather is not so good.
snow conditions
some more photos here:

http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/614/

I think they must be doing some upgrades to the gondola. It is new this season but Comag had a lot of staff up there and they seemed very busy. I guess there are some niggles to get out. It looks very smart though.

You might think that the resorts would get mobbed but you have to remember that half the people who live in Grenoble are on minimum wage and too poor to ski. 75% were born there and actually hate the mountains. That leaves people who have moved there specifically for the mountains. Generally in the first year they ski a lot but very soon get into a rut of the weather not being good enough to bother going so they end up skiing maybe 5-6 days in a season, probably a lot less than many snowheads.

A bit of a waste really.

Some fo the best ski touring conditions since 2001. Much better than the fairly catastrophic end to last season where we did the Agneaux in slush

http://youtube.com/v/CwsV-VJO88I
snow report
davidof, spooky first picture - spookier even than the summit of the Ventoux, which sometimes gives me the creeps.
ski holidays
davidof, some great shots, kinda answers my niggle as to why the gondolas would be out but not running.
ski holidays
A flashback to Jan 2009 and the Col de l'arzelier in the Vercors

http://youtube.com/v/-U--2MOmIYA

The Sultanes is an interesting couloir just to the north of this tiny ski area.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Isere-Drome/Couloirs-Des-Sultanes

and directly above the resort is the exposed couloir des deux Soeurs.

NOTE: two errors in the commentary: the couloir is the Deux Soeurs and the mountain is the Mont Aiguille (sorry I was watching a report on Mt Blanc at the same time). I will update the video later).
ski holidays
St Nizier from early March, incl rare ski jump footage at end

http://youtube.com/v/50AZjGgsABA
snow report
davidof, great vid! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy