Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen to Koenigsleiten

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone any idea how long the ski bus takes, better to take own minibus?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timetables here

http://www.zillertalarena.com/en/arena/winter/seilbahnen_skibus.html

You want the first one under "Further Timetables"

Mayrhofen to Konigsleiten takes about 50 minutes (The first bus leaving Mayrhofen at 8:30 and arriving Konigsleiten 9:40)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well worth the trip though - especially taking in Gerlos next door.

Beware of the trip home though, buses very seldom indeed. We missed the last bus, and blagged a school bus
which ended badly when it ground to a halt 10 mins later turfing us out in the middle of a hamlet with zero
prospect of bus or taxi. Ended up hitching back to Zell am Ziller in the back of a builders van sitting on tools!
Got back just in time for breakfast in the end Laughing

Once you have the Ziller valley super pass - use it to death, the valley is full of little known gems like
Egalm, Kaltenbach and Hochfugen to name just 3. Squeeze every penny out of it Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Surely much more fun to take the bus to Zell am Ziller (shouldnt take longer than 15 minutes) and then ski to Koenigsleiten?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was wondering how long the skiing from Zell would take. Anyone?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ghost Dog, me 2. not speed race pace just leisurely sking time over and back
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or take the bus to Koenigsleiten and then ski back via Gerlos to Zell am Ziller and take a bus or the Zillertalbahn from there to Mayrhofen (or if all else fails a cab). Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From Zell, over to Koenigsleiten and back again, stopping for a short lunch, skiing at a cruisey speed without any detours takes about 5 hours.
Going from Zell to Koenigsleiten is mostly skiing, on the way back from Koenigsleiten to Zell is a lot of lift riding.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Round about 2 hours from Zell to just above Konigsleiten (Larmach-Alm) when I did it with the TO "ski leading" group. And the same again coming back.

There is one place where you either have to do a black run or download using a chairlift on the way over. The chairlift is set up for downloading becaus eone of the main beginner areas is at the top of it.

But the black isn't too hard in decent conditions - I actually felt the red from Konigsleitenspitze down to Larmach-Alm was slightly harder, if anything.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
is it worth making the journey over to kaltenbach & fugen?? are there any good runs to try over there?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chewy192, Where are you staying and when will you be there? Both answers make a difference to whether it's worth going or not...
The ski area above Fuegen, called Spieljoch, is a very small area, but if you're in Zillertal at New Year or Feb. Half Term then it's worth going to as it is always quieter than the other areas. The snow gets less traffic and so is usually in better condition.
Kaltenbach/Hochfuegen, also known as Hochzillertal, is great. The Kaltenbach side is usually busier, as it is easier to get to from the main valley.

I mentioned in another post that the more time I spend on Snowheads the more I realise that what one person considers is a good place to ski can be another person's worst nightmare...

So,
Quote:

are there any good runs to try over there?

for me, is a difficult question to answer...
I like Spieljoch because it's quieter and the snow quality is usually better.
I like Hochfuegen because it's also quietish and there's some great off piste.
Kaltenbach has a few nice restaurants: Kristalhuette - good food, amazing views, go before 1130 or after 1430 if you want to be able to sit down. Platzlalm - great food, interesting artwork on the way to the toilet! Wedlhuette - new this year, I haven't been to it yet.

If you have transport and want to explore, then Hainzenberg/Gerlosstein is interesting. The lifts are mostly oldish slow 2 person chairlifts, but the skiing there is great and it feels like you have the mountain to yourself.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks for the response, i am staying in mayrhofen on the 2nd jan but i want to make the most of my ski pass so i am looking to try some of these areas, i am only there for a week so i am just trying to work out what places are worth a visit and where to avoid, we are mostly high intermediate skiers/boarders and are comfortable on red/black runs and we like to cover alot of the mountain, i see from an earlier post that there are buses linking most of these places so as long as they are easy to get around on we will make the most of it
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chewy192 wrote:
thanks for the response, i am staying in mayrhofen on the 2nd jan but i want to make the most of my ski pass so i am looking to try some of these areas, i am only there for a week so i am just trying to work out what places are worth a visit and where to avoid, we are mostly high intermediate skiers/boarders and are comfortable on red/black runs and we like to cover alot of the mountain, i see from an earlier post that there are buses linking most of these places so as long as they are easy to get around on we will make the most of it

I'm staying in Mayrhofen the 3rd week of January, would also call us high intermediates. Never beenthere, but what I've been reading one day at Hintertux (when the weather is fine) and one day at Kaltenbach/Hoghfugen is the sensible thing to do Smile.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chewy192, Many Germans and Austrians will still be on holiday until the 6th January, so it's likely to be busy up until then.
From what you say, I'd suggest that Hintertux is worth a visit. As for the rest of the Zillertal, see how you get on in Mayrhofen, you may find there is enough for you there anyway.
If you want mileage then Hochzillertal (Kaltenbach/Hochfuegen) claims to have 166km of piste. Zillertal Arena (Zell am Ziller/Gerlos/Koenigsleiten/Gerlosplatte) also claims 166km. Mayrhofen has 159km. It's possible to ski in a different area each day if you want to. Buses and trains are regular to all the other ski areas and are included with your lift pass.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks i will def head up to hintertux weather permitting and see how we get on in the mayrhofen area, i know one of my group is keen to find some more advanced runs which there doesn't seem to be alot of in the mayrhofen area apart from the harikari run but maybe we will try and get a guide to find some good of piste etc..
ski holidays
Kaltenbach/Hochfuegen can be convenient in that it's the only place where the Zillertalbahn railway and carparks are in the immediate vicinity of the lifts (AFAIK). Zell am Ziller is a short bus ride from the Zillertal Arena lifts, and Mayrhofen station (although right near some of the main hotels) is the opposite end of the main street from the Lifts.
ski holidays
I'm off to Mayrhofen on 23 Jan for 4 nights, have skied there 4 or 5 times without ever trying Zillertal Arena (or indeed anywhere that you can't get to on skis). It's definitely time to travel further afield. Can't decide if it would be better to stick the 8 of us in our own bus and drive or just use the ski bus (as long as I'm not driving).
latest report
Ghost Dog, The buses and trains are regular and are free with your lift pass and if you have ski equipment with you.
Better to drive or use the bus? Dunno, depends on if you want to drink an apres ski beer or not, I suppose. I normally hop on the ski bus if there's snow on the roads (let the driver freeze his hands off putting the chains on!) but I more often drive for the convenience of being able to go home whenever I want.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy