Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back protector / support for skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I am contemplating buying a back protector/support for skiing.

I broke my back in February last and suffered a stable anterior fracture of T10 After a lot of physiotherapy I am back in the gym full time and well recovered but with a sore back. I'm a lucky man!

I am looking for a back support and protector for skiing and want to know anyone's suggestions for a good make and what I should be paying.

Thanks in advance

Sam
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dianese are a decent make, but if cost is an issue have a sqint on ebay for moto-x or boarding stuff.

Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks I'll have a look at both - don't want to pay a fortune but it's quite important!

Sam
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pretty nice Scott one here...

http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/epages/es122229.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122229/Products/211160/SubProducts/211160-0001

Use the code : FACEBK09 for 20% off.

Oh yea and ouch on the back and solid recovery man. Good luck.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you want to buy British the go for Forcefield. I bought mine in a Honda Motocycle Shop. I give it full marks for comfort, breathability and flexibility. I use it with the Action Shirt in combination.

http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/snow.asp

Review from the site:-

And from US racer John GU
"Hi, just wanted to let you guys know that I recently had a chance to crash test your product and had great success with it. I am using the Pro L2 T-Pro back protector and was involved in a major two bike motorcycle accident where I was thrown up 8 feet in the air and landed squarely on my back. Now I am a pretty heavy guy at 200lb but my back suffered no injury whatsoever in the crash and was barely even bruised. My legs didn~t fare as well and bruised and sprained badly but no major injury or breaks.
You can see where I landed squarely on my back and bounced back in the air. The protector did an amazing job. I was wearing skimpy armored shorts by a different company and hurt my hip but I am confident that if I had the T-Pro pants I would have come out even better. Just placed an order for them though, and the armored shirt. Great product and armor technology!"

www.jgcomps.com/bikepics/crash1.gif (It tales a while to load but it's worth it)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
maslerdanch09, hubby fractured his neck last December. He now has a Slytech back protector. ..not cheap though. I bought it from here http://www.skibartlett.com/slytech-2nd-skin-soft-back-protector-1194-p.asp
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've the older version of this http://www.dainese.com/eu_en/multisport-winter/waistcoat-air.html?cat=75 never had a problem with it yet. Good body armour that fits well is expensive. Cheaper stuff tends to inhibit mobility & can be excessively hot. So it's worth spending the extra cash to get stuff you won't notice so will always wear.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got a full upper body jacket for riding for £30 which i got from ghost bikes. It's the same as the brand x one from chainreaction if anyone else knows it. It's good value and does pretty well for impacts but something people often forget is that the back plate is also there to stop hyperflexion. My back plate bends loads so basically does nothing in this respect. This a similar situation for a lot of the lower end armour although i think things have improved since i was looking. Dainese have always been the one that everyone else was chasing and you'll pay through the nose for it. POC are pretty popular and also 661 for slightly cheaper alternatives. This however is from a mountain biking perspective but i'm pretty sure they all do snow kit. Doubt there's much difference between the two anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont, that looks nice! Can anyone explain this chart though. Is it marketing or should i be scared?

Im using this at the moment. The spine board is detachable so you have the option of arm and chest protection on big days.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24905
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've also bought the 661 from Chain Reaction, although I was planing to use it for the shoulder/arm protection more than anything.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got a full upper body setup by Fox, I don't really use it so am planning on flogging it. It's like this one -> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260489294565&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT and is either XL or XXL (can't remember). Looking for £30 for it, let me know if it is of interest to you.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
maslerdanch09, this is the new version of the one I got, but I bought it in the sales for about £60 a few years back.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Skied a couple of days ago out of Arabba, have been staff training and the back was fine, my left turns are a little tight but should get better - just a little apprehensive of taking a fall and will get my wallet out today!

Thanks for all the help

Sam Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaddyLouLou, only problem is i look like a brick poo-poo house when i put it on, dont you? Bear in mind im also 6'5. It's funny how fast little frogs jump out the way. Plus its hot!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy