Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I be losing hair on my shins?

Poster: A snowHead
As the title says I think my boots and sock combo whilst learning to ski has took hairs from my shins. Is this usual? It does not hurt but bold shins on a bloke!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Please tell me you're trolling?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, that happens.

A lot of gentleman skiers of the - er -simian persuasian do indeed shave their shins. True.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
try pulling your socks up
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
or your tights down
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How rude - skiing with my tights around my ankles.

Seriously I am sure I've lost some hair from my shins after last nights 3 hour lesson.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike-H, pretty common. I have shaved mine a few seasons.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try doing a season!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good grief Mike-H, I haven't had any hairs on my legs from boot height down for years. I've never even thought about its being anything unusual for a skier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Err. I hate to confess but I have this, not from skiiing, and it is (up until now at least!) permanent. My premature hair loss was from my motorcycle boots back in the days when I only had a bike and went everywhere wearing boots which obviously rubbed the legs smooth from either walking or excessive gear changing.

At least now I can say it is from skiing!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have similar friction-related hair loss on the outside of my legs. Not sure what it's from! Combination of motorbike and skiing I think!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do gentleman equestrians have bald arses then?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike-H, have you never worn wellies man?

Quote:

Do gentleman equestrians have bald back bottoms then?

bold 'orses maybe, but I have never looked at my derriere in the mirror to find out!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 11-12-09 9:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Phew! Its not just me with weak folicles (sp?). Oh well, leg hair is over rated anyway.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Do gentleman equestrians have bald back bottoms then?

and what about the equestriettes? I think we should be told.
latest report
A friend of mine has a similar problem, she's really rather worried about it.
snow conditions
Quote:

friend of mine has a similar problem

Legs or b'tm?
ski holidays
Mike-H, wait till you've spent a day riding button lifts wink
latest report
Stop complaining - it's cheaper than waxing! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
You need to shave the rest of them now so you dont look daft................ Puzzled
or was that plan in the first place, only now you have an excuse Razz
Next thing is to take up road cycling now you can shave your legs wink
snow report
i've got a bit of that too, more from my rugby days (i think) than from skiing. As long as the condition doesnt keep advancing upwards i reckon you dont need to panic
latest report
Mike-H wrote:
As the title says I think my boots and sock combo whilst learning to ski has took hairs from my shins. Is this usual? It does not hurt but bold shins on a bloke!

The hairs work into the sock material and get pulled out during the day as you flex. This can cause a lot of pain in some people due to the trauma caused to the tissue around each hair follicle. I shave my shins before my first day's skiing of the season to avoid any discomfort.
latest report
AndrewBailey wrote:
Err. I hate to confess but I have this, not from skiiing, and it is (up until now at least!) permanent. My premature hair loss was from my motorcycle boots back in the days when I only had a bike and went everywhere wearing boots which obviously rubbed the legs smooth from either walking or excessive gear changing.

At least now I can say it is from skiing!

Err. I hate to confess but I have this, not from skiing, big wrist shaped bald spot right alongside my white baby gravy dispenser Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Common problem amonst ski instructors is bold shins.
latest report
stevehaskew wrote:
I have similar friction-related hair loss on the outside of my legs. Not sure what it's from! Combination of motorbike and skiing I think!

That explains everything, I've been wearing my hat too tight.
snow conditions
masmith, Laughing Laughing Laughing me too
snow report
Mike-H, it is a badge of honour. No bald spots, you're not trying hard enough.
ski holidays
masmith, Mine must be helmet related then.... At the risk of creating more controversy over helmet use, is it better to be hatted or helmeted where hair loss is concerned?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow! I never realised the adverse effects in equipment on male skier before. I feel enlightened! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
This may help, and will certainly give you a good laugh!

I have always suffered from sore shins whilst skiing...

The first few days of pain were due to me tucking the elasticated cuff of my ski pants inside my boot. Ouch! Worked out the problem after about three days, but I have seen many people do it since! (Until I tell 'em!)

I was fine for a few seasons, with my own rear-entry single clip boots (remember those?), but my shins still got very sore, right down the front. I went to buy a new pair of boots in '96, and asked the shop assistant why my shins would get so sore. He told me he was ex-GB downhill ski team, and promptly lifted his trouser leg to reveal a shaved 'stripe' down the front of his lower shin. He said a Bic disposable should do it...

So I bought these new boots (mid-entry Rossignol 'carpet slippers'! So comfy!) and a Bic razor from Boots. I tried the razor, but it couldn't cope with my brillo pad leg hair, so I switched to the electric shaver; perfect smooth stripe up the front!

Until... the itching started. Unlike my wife's legs, mine aren't used to being shaved, especially that close. As the itching got worse, I thought, 'What do you put on after shaving? Ah, yes, AFTER SHAVE!' One of the most painful sensations I have ever experienced. After dancing around the bathroom for two minutes screaming and swearing, I tried to work out why it was so painful...

I remembered hearing somewhere that the scent in the after shave could irritate the skin, so I quickly washed it off and applied a scent free alternative... PURE ETHANOL! Holy ski socks! That was worse!

I quickly washed it of and went for something more medically proven - SURGICAL SPIRIT! *EXPLETIVE DELETED!!!*

With all the banging around, swearing, cursing, and the bizarre combination of smells, my girlfriend finally appeared at the bathroom door, and asked what on earth I was doing. In utter agony, I managed to explain what I'd been up to, and asked her what she used on her legs after shaving her legs - BABY LOTION!!!

Wow! How soothing was that!

So, I now shave a thin stripe up my shin on most skiing holidays (and apply baby lotion!), and I have not had sore shins since 1996. I think the problem is due to a combination of things... very sharp/thin shin bone, very hairy legs, and possibly my skiing technique (although the instructors always said I should be feeling pressure on that part of the boot).

When any non-skier sees by bald shins and asks why, I tell them I shave them for skiing - less wind resistance; oddly, they appear to believe me!

So grab a razor/shaver, and some baby lotion - you will not be disappointed!
ski holidays
Bah - hair loss is nothing.

A few seasons ago I started to get big (£1 coin sized, and lots of them) blisters on my shins. The flex in the cuffs of my boots wasn't at all progressive, so big lean on them = no movement, followed by sudden movement -> big mofo blisters. Had some work on the shells and it was all good.

Shaving yer legs is a part of raod cycling. Once you realise NEVER let your father see what you've done, it's all good.

No one likes to find out they've sired a wannbe trannie. Laughing
ski holidays
Bah - hair loss is nothing.

A few seasons ago I started to get big (£1 coin sized, and lots of them) blisters on my shins. The flex in the cuffs of my boots wasn't at all progressive, so big lean on them = no movement, followed by sudden movement -> big mofo blisters. Had some work on the shells and it was all good.

Shaving yer legs is a part of raod cycling. Once you realise NEVER let your father see what you've done, it's all good.

No one likes to find out they've sired a wannbe trannie. Laughing
latest report
Now be honest, who has read this and then rolled up their trouser legs to have a look
snow conditions
If you are emmbarassed about baldy shins do what I do........comb down your pubic hair to cover it up
ski holidays
Become a cyclist.... shave your legs and get free hairy shorts!
snow conditions
redski,Rocksteadee, ROTFLMAO Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Actually gents I am sorry to say that hair loss on the outside of lower leg is typical male pattern baldness. Just the same as losing hair on your head only less obvious.

Obviously you can claim it is a result of bungee jumping/ski boots/space suit. It is really only that you are getting old!
Skullie Skullie Skullie Skullie Skullie Skullie
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
Err. I hate to confess but I have this, not from skiing, big wrist shaped bald spot right alongside my white baby gravy dispenser Laughing Laughing Laughing

??????, why would you post this "outloud"?
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
redski,Rocksteadee, ROTFLMAO Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks for the sympathetic post... NehNeh
snow conditions
Quote:

Thanks for the sympathetic post...

LOL would you expect anything less!!!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy