Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Suunto thread

Poster: A snowHead
I got my OH a Suunto Core last year and he loves it, and now he wants to share the love with me by getting me a Suunto for xmas. He's looking at either the Observer, Vector or Lumi for me. So which should i go for?

From what i've read the Observer is the smallest and more watch like, the Lumi is the girls Core but the Vector is a classic (and i think this is the only one which counts how many runs you've skied or do the others do that too?). I have quite small wrists so i'm worried that the Vector wont go small enough for me, on his Core the strap has holes all the way round so it can be tightened enough for me, but the Vector seems to have a different strap. The material i've read about the Observer says its for men and women so that would suggest plenty of adjustment in the strap.

Anyone got any advice for me?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tell him to stop being so soppy and get you a nice ladies Longines or TAG wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been looking at the Lumi for me (not a fan of the huge faces).

This is the best price I've seen, but unless you know someone in the States you may get stung for tax.

http://www.rei.com/product/794124

US$199 works out at approx. 122 quid
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got a vector, it's great, but would be massive on a female wrist. i was thinking of upgrading to the Core if money permits.

If I was you I'd go for the Lumi
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have the vector and it's big but not too big. I have smallish wrists and it's just about OK. I would say on very small wrists it would be a challenge. My Vector doesn't count how many runs I've skied - but it is fairly old now as I have had it for about four years. Great watch though.

Given a choice I'd go for a smaller/female focused Sunnto if I were you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've had a Titanium Observer for about 4 years. Brilliant watch, wear it all of the time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lockwoods have the Lumi on offer, and its just up the road from my office so i'm going to go and try it on. Tried the Vector last night at Decathlon and it was far too bulky on me to wear when skiing. If they both fail he'll just have to get me the Observer, its the smallest apparently Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snobunni, Even though it's more expensive, go for the Titanium version of the Observer, the Stainless Steel one weighs a tonne.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman, dont worry i plan on stinging the OH for titanium if the Lumi is too big/bulky Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If a friend in the USA buys me a Suunto, wrapped it in Xmas paper and posted it as a gift, would I still need to pay VAT/import duty???
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, nice try but yes you would. (Whatever made you think someone had not thought of this before? - Doh!) The package has to state what is in it when it is posted and if it doesn't then the customs people can just open it anyway. I don't know how they charge you as I've never done it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tiger2, because there is a 'magic' box on the custom label saying "Gift"....I'm not sure what affect that has. I have had Xmas pressies from relatives in Australia sent without paying import duty etc
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, It depends on the value and what it is. Check here for full details: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P36_3279[/url]
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good link, thanks Tiger2, Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kitenski
Never had a problem. Just need to take it out of original packaging.

snobunni
How much for Lumi in Lockwoods please?
ski holidays
Mike Pow, £150 according to their website. Hope they have more than one in stock lol
snow report
Spyderman (+ other Suunto users), what is the battery life like on these, how often do u need to replace ? Quite fancy a Observer TT but with so much tek paked inside they must draw a fair bit of power ?
snow report
Thanks Snobunni
snow conditions
The battery on my Core ran out a couple of weeks ago. It's lasted about 2 years.

You change the battery yourself. It takes a CR2032 and they are about £1.50 in Tesco. Its an easy job.
snow conditions
bar shaker wrote:
The battery on my Core ran out a couple of weeks ago. It's lasted about 2 years.

You change the battery yourself. It takes a CR2032 and they are about £1.50 in Tesco. Its an easy job.

Does it keep the waterproofness if you change it yourself??
ski holidays
masmith, Battery is good for 2 - 2.5 years

bar shaker, kitenski, To preserve waterproofness a new battery cover or new 'O' Ring should be fitted at the same time as the battery, ideally with a smear of grease.

I get mine changed at a local Dive shop.
snow report
And gifts are still subject to import duty and VAT

The only exception is goods under £16 in value
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy