Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Car/road trip thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A bit of an odd question/review here but seeing as the airlines are charging an arm and a leg just to take your skis on the flight. This season, im going to drive the distance to the Alps. Im borrowing a Nissan Navara from work and taking 2 mates on the journey! Weve done a few recce over to Hemel with some of our kit and it seems ok! Other than tyre chains, any tips? Any Navara owners out there who have tried a similar thing? the payload is a major bonus over my usual Clio
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DECAL, Welcome to snowheads. Its not such an odd question as its been asked many times before. The real question is where to start the answer, chains, snowtyres, telepeage, route, winter diesel, reflective jackets, head torchs...., try the forum search option and you will soon appreciate the accumulated knowledge of snowheads. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where are you heading and when may i ask?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
has the navara got a rear cab thing or cover? luggage getting wet would be bad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Drove for first time last year and took the Nav outlaw. Ferry Friday night, landed at 6, mile after mile of no traffic which did get hugely boring, a traffic jam would have been very stimulating!! Headed down to Albertville and kipped over in a Formula 1 which was clean, tad YHA (not that I know) and about 60€. 40 minute drive to Ste Foy, hit snow on the roads about 30 minutes out - panic - do I need chains?? By the time I thought its actually getting very white out there we were there. Up the mountain 4wd went on and still had back end wobble a few times but never thought we were out of control. Ste Foy was wall to wall snow and again Nav was just driving normally.
By doing all this we got an extra day on the slopes and my wife could take the kitchen sink as well!
This year we're doing same again but taking another wallet, sorry couple with us. We spent 200ish on fuel, 80 on tolls which I would pay every day to have road work free and congestion free roads for 750 miles, 30 on coffee and cd's. (take a cd book with you as it does get very very boring, although sounds like boys on tour so perhaps not!!)
if you want to borrow chains let me know - pay for postage and a beer you can have them no prob. let me know.
Nav was brilliant, you'll have a ball!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Done it several times in a heavily loaded Nav (D40) and kiwi1 uses the previous gen Nav to haul loads of kit (& often a heavy trailer) all over the Alps from Blighty. I use winter tyres and carry chains, even so the back end can get squirrely if you've no weight on, conversely if you're loaded up remember its a lot more momentum than a Clio if it starts sliding. If your loaner is a manual should be no bother, if it's an auto then discretion with the throttle! Don't get me wrong the Nav is a top ski bus (using mine for 3no return trips this season) but it won't do all the thinking for you like a Disco or Cruiser might.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh and as soon as your sure it's slippy enough not to get wind up then bang on the 4X4 as otherwise your just in a big RWD car (though the long wheelbase does make controlling any 'recreational' sliding easy snowHead ).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy