Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wolves in the Savoie

Poster: A snowHead
davidof wrote:

Are you sure there is a reintroduction program? In France there has not been a reintroduction program for Wolves or Lynx but a limited program for bears (despite claims by the farmers to the contrary), the wolves that exist have simply walked over the border from Italy and there is still a large natural bear population in Spain.... given time and lack of outside pressure they would recolonize all of the Pyrenees.

The bears are a walk in but others are part of programs, the lynx for example started to be re-introduced back in 1970. Wolves I'm not 100% sure about, but there's a lot of these programs, I think I saw something about vultures being reintroduced as well.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JT wrote:
ise,

Hopefully the animals are aware of the borders and don't stray into France... Laughing
As ever Switzerland is the place to be... Laughing

Not sure if Wolves, Lynx etc would be a bigger problem than other hunters like foxes... bigger, of course, but are they as destructive..?
Friend of mine had a duck and 11 chicks wiped out by a fox, left carcasses everywhere, seemed like wanton destruction and not a food kill

You start to see how some of the local dog breeds got established when you think about it Very Happy Paws the size and shape of snow shovels, long legs and lots of power and weight. I often hear the local farm dogs kick off in the small hours of the morning presumably at foxes. A very effective deterrent close in to the farm but less so up the mountain of course.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof wrote:
Are you sure there is a reintroduction program? In France there has not been a reintroduction program for Wolves or Lynx .

Are you sure there is NO re-introduction program? Everything that is written about the wolves in Mercantur ( and the subsequent culling by local farmers) in Nice-Matin says that they are re-introduced. Part of the argument put forward by local farmers is that they are not the 'endemic' strains ... and I think I have read that they come from Romania as well
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
eEvans, by Romania do you mean the Carpathian Mountains? They seem to be the source for a lot of the species being reintroduced around Europe.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like Wolves. I use to have an Akita which the kids used to call a wolf as she really did look the part. She weighed about 9 and a half stone, had webbed paws and the double coat. Used as a bear and stag hunter in Japan until they got round to fighting them.... words fail me here... and as she was an american show dog she was bigger than the japanese version. There are now two breeds, the american and japanese version. The US version will show at Crufts..
The dogs are heavier than bitches, of course, but don't know how this relates to the size of a wolf..
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eEvans, The Swiss seem to be enjoying the idea of the reintroduction of animals which had been hunted to extrinction. I suggest that the typical Frenchman is only interested in nature, if it can be wrapped in pastry and eaten. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowbunny, that's not quite true, the French will just shoot stuff for the sake of it Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise, even snails have developed an extra turn of speed here, a new super-species has evolved Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG, they'll not be safe until the evolve to shoot back Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise, Yes, you are correct the Carpathians. I've just done some research (french sites) ; it transpires that there were no wolves in the Alps between 1900 and c.1985. The argument seems to revolve around whether the wolves ( which did re-appear in Italy) actually could have walked from the Appennines ( in search of food ) or were re-introduced.

There is loads of genetic analysis ( which is beyond my comprehension ability ); what does not appear clear from what I have read so far as to whether the French government is responsible for re-introduction or private bodies .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ise, don't give them any ideas, there are eons of enmity waiting to come out. At least the Brits will be safe - a strategic alliance perhaps.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ise, PG, Laughing Laughing Laughing

snowbunny, Be very , very careful; no close season for wabbit - shooting Cool
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eEvans,
Quote:

snowbunny, Be very , very careful; no close season for wabbit - shooting

May I refer you to an earlier post by ise,
Quote:

PG, they'll not be safe until the evolve to shoot back

I evolved Very Happy I'm always armed wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eEvans, Armed and bl00dy dangerous, I'd take cover now if I were you wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowbunny wrote:
Quote:

No problem, ise has had a jest or three in all of his posts today . All I have to do is beware 5 foot wabbits with white hair .. Little Angel
snow report
snowbunny wrote:
eEvans,
Quote:

snowbunny, Be very , very careful; no close season for wabbit - shooting

Quote:

we always find you quite disarming Very Happy
ski holidays
ise,
Quote:

we always find you quite disarming

Moi Little Angel not at all Twisted Evil .. I really don't know what you could mean, it's not like I'm starting a collection or anything Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 20-02-06 14:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
eEvans,
Quote:

No problem, ise has had a jest or three in all of his posts today . All I have to do is beware 5 foot wabbits with white hair ..

Who would that be then, there are a lot of us in SH..some are taller than others wink
ski holidays
snowbunny, Now , you know there's only one wabbit ... sorry didn't appreciate you were even more vertically challenged than that ... wink
snow report
eEvans,
Quote:

snowbunny, Now , you know there's only one wabbit ... sorry didn't appreciate you were even more vertically challenged than that ...

I'm not Twisted Evil
ski holidays
I'm not sure about wolves in the Savoie, but there were definitely sharks in St Anton last week. Very Happy
snow conditions
eEvans, and ise, May I refer you both to Ray Zorro's, view on the wolves v wabbits debate Very Happy
http://www.funnyjunk.com/p/0434-jpg.html
snow report
eEvans wrote:
davidof wrote:
Are you sure there is a reintroduction program? In France there has not been a reintroduction program for Wolves or Lynx .

Are you sure there is NO re-introduction program? Everything that is written about the wolves in Mercantur ( and the subsequent culling by local farmers) in Nice-Matin says that they are re-introduced. Part of the argument put forward by local farmers is that they are not the 'endemic' strains ... and I think I have read that they come from Romania as well

A French parliamentary inquiry reporting in 2004 headed by a judge confirmed that the wolves in the Mercantour are Italian and that there has been no reintroduction programme even clandastine. Of course it could all be a cover up as some sheep farmers seem to thing but it doesn't seem likely, who benefits?
snow report
ise wrote:
PG, they'll not be safe until the evolve to shoot back Very Happy

Reminds me of one of our Jonathon Livingstone Zoo cartoons from years back. Punchline ran...
"The new season had started with something of an impasse. The hunting fraternity argued that deer culling was environmentally responsible whilst Jonathon Livingstone Red Deer maintained his right to an independent nuclear deterrent!"
ski holidays
davidof, I guess the answer is that there are enough crazy 'eco-groups' around to do anything. It also seems clear that there no alpine wolves in any country after the 1940s ... so someone moved them around !

I don't really care but an interesting bit of research neverthelees Smile
snow conditions
eEvans wrote:
davidof, I guess the answer is that there are enough crazy 'eco-groups' around to do anything. It also seems clear that there no alpine wolves in any country after the 1940s ... so someone moved them around !

I don't really care but an interesting bit of research neverthelees :)

The French investigation could be a govt cover up, there have been plenty in the past.

It is also possible the wolves migrated - did you see the wolf they tagged near florence that walked right across to Nice in about 2 months? They get around a bit.

Are you sure that there were no residual Italian wolves? I always thought they had survived in Italy and Spain. I remember BBC nature documentary about Italy's wolves sometime in the late 1970s.
snow conditions
davidof, davidof, Sorry I was obviously unclear. There were still appennine wolves but no alpine wolves. I'll look for those articles again tomorrow , they were accompanied by some distribution maps .. together with gene analysis . I KNOW nothing just what I'm finding !!
snow report
Not all wolves are bad.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Not all wolves are bad

There's me for example NehNeh Laughing
latest report
eEvans wrote:
I KNOW nothing just what I'm finding !!

Me neither, I'm hoping to run for PM with those skills Happy
snow report
davidof wrote:
eEvans wrote:
I KNOW nothing just what I'm finding !!

Me neither, I'm hoping to run for PM with those skills Happy

Way too over-qualified ..
latest report
Don't worry if the rabbits start shooting back - no mater how good a shot they are, they'll never beat a good dose of myxymatosis Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
ise wrote:
snowbunny, that's not quite true, the French will just shoot stuff for the sake of it Very Happy
One obviously got away, our Mastiff just had a close encounter with a deer in the back garden. (The deer was pretty safe, meeting an animal that is slightly larger than she is was a bit of a shock to the system so she retreated, barking bravely).
ski holidays
PG wrote:
ise wrote:
One obviously got away, our Mastiff just had a close encounter with a deer in the back garden. (The deer was pretty safe, meeting an animal that is slightly larger than she is was a bit of a shock to the system so she retreated, barking bravely).

Didn't know deer could bark ! Laughing
latest report
austin7, mastiffs are big, but not that big!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy