Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wolves in the Savoie

Poster: A snowHead
click to enlargeNow believed to be hunting in the Maurienne valley (Savoie), in the region of Saint-Martin d'Arc, according to this France 3 article (in French). A few unconfirmed sightings so far, and since the beginning of the year animal carcasses - roe deer and their young - have been found ever closer to the village. The predator has local hunters worried - unable to kill the newly protected species, they fear their deer hunting quotas may be limited as a result.

I was at Aussois in the Maurienne over the weekend - not a wolf in sight. Plenty of bouquetins (ibex) that you could approach to within just a couple of yards, though.

Experts point out that the wolf does not represent a danger for man - the only reason it has been known to approach the villages during the winter is because prey sometimes becomes scarce in more remote areas.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 22-02-05 16:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plus of course man provides these lovely big dinner tables called dustbins, beloved by scavengers the world over
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG wrote:
The predator has local hunters worried - unable to kill the newly protected species, they fear their deer hunting quotas may be limited as a result.

So they're actually worried that the wolf may kill the deer before they get a chance to do the job themselves rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The article says local hunters are allowed just 30 or so kills a year - the village Christmas dinner tables simply wouldn't be the same!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I found a fresh wolf print in the snow in the mountain between the Serre Chevalier and the Italian border in November. As it had only snowed for the first time the previous night the tracks were fresh. The area I was walking in is a local picnic spot and only a couple of miles from a town. 6 pairs were introduced 3 years ago to the area.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I find this quite encouraging.Man has so much to answer for in robbing this planet of many of its natural species.The european wolf was hounded(sorry)into virtual extinction.As PG say's,it is now a protected species.I for one would be delighted to spot on or two roaming over the mountain.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chris, nearly as exciting as seeing the Golden Eagle when we went out with Lin over the Col du Granon .
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's a big stink about the Pyrenean bear .
They had big plans to increase the number and bring it back from the edge of extinction by breeding the single remaining female with a similar bear from somewhere else in europe. Plans were scuppered by a hunter who shot the last last female. Last I heard he was banged up with the French president wanting him to get life.

Anyone got any more recent news on it?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rich, don't know what happened to the chasseur, but none of the local farmers want the bear reintroduced. Still, Chirac is going ahead with the "Plan Ours", as far as I know, they want to double or triple the numbers within a few years. By rights they'll have to rename it the Pyrenean Rumanian Bear, or something.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is a bit of misinformatin in this thread. Obviously I don't follow Jacques Chiracs every word but I very much doubt whether he called for life imprisonment for the hunter, René Marquèze. M.Marquèze is being prosecuted for destruction of a protected species. He is claiming "self-defence" but the big question is why he and his buddies went on a boar hunt in a zone known to be inhabited by Canelle? Canelle's had a little 10 month old male bear cub, it is not sure he can survive the harsh winter without his mum.

There are still a lot of female bears (500+?) on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees so Cannelle was far from the last pure Pyrenean bear. Understandably the Spanish (where the bear is also hunted illegally) are not keen for their bears to cross into France where they risk getting shot. Of course for the French media Spain doesn't really exist hence the brouhaha about Canelle being the last Pyrenean bear.

Both bears and wolves are, and have been for a long time, protected under European law. As Snowheads has covered there has recently been a wolf hunt in France of somewhat dubious legality.

Regarding the Wolves in the Alps, these have crossed naturally from Italy where they are left, along with a lot of nature, in a lot more peace than in France. Official estimates are of around 50 wolves in France (less the half dozen recently shot by the state). Wolves and bears were common in the Maurienne until early in the last century when they were hunted to extinction.

Jacques Chirac is in the somewhat dubious position of having lectured to African states about preserving their wild animals and yet presiding over a country which has no real plan how to protect its own wildlife. There is little real political motivation for the reintrocution of bears to the Pyrenean side despite the tourist potential.

French hunters will also shoot walkers, cross-country skiers, mountain bikers and road signs and have several recent kills to their name. I once came across a hunter firing into my back-garden in Biviers - about two hectares, where he has spotted a grouse - my neighbour's kids were also playing in the garden at the time although maybe the bird brained hunter thought they were fair game too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

French hunters will also shoot walkers, cross-country skiers, mountain bikers and road signs

Too right.Going down a country lane a couple of years ago;came across a large group of hunters c/w kids,dogs,wives etc.Just as we went past they all turned en mass and started firing at us(or so it seemed) Shocked My mate happened to notice something fly out of the hedge beside him.This was obviously the target;but it was if we weren't even there Confused Frightened the bloody life out of me.Always said a GB sticker was a bad idea wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
STOP PRESS: New type of goat specially bred to encourage wolves back into the Savoie

Takes about 30 secs with broadband
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, wierd Shocked Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, I think I've ruptured myself laughing at the goats Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Excellent!
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Tears in my eyes, wonderful Laughing
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Thanks for the link, very funny Laughing
snow conditions
I did play it through about a dozen times, gets funnier each time.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I must be a Myotonic CP, when I drink 10 pints of 6X this happens to me - thanks for finding out where the problem arises from, I am glad it's hereditary and not a drinking problem Toofy Grin

CP
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman
Shocked Laughing Laughing

Thanks for that. Very funny.

There are several other great videos on the same site http://www.qarxis.com/taxonomy/term/2/9/
latest report
Frosty the Snowman,

You the man Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

As an Agriculturalist, I'm ashamed i've never heard of these before. Going to get some for the farm
snow conditions
True wolf story:
My Father grew up in Poland and was an army officer between the wars posted on the Russian border.
During one winter he sent out a mounted patrol into the forest.
They never came back and were never found.
The Poles suspected their Russian counterparts.
After the spring thaw their remains were eventually discovered. I say "remains" but it was more like the leftovers.
Everything had been eaten except the metal parts of the uniforms and horses' harnesses; and the metal actions of their rifles.
Flesh, bones, clothes, leather, even the oiled wood on the rifles. All eaten.
Surrounding the area were the empty cartridge cases of every bullet they carried.

They never knew if they had been attacked by wolves or Russians, but they knew they had been eaten by wolves eventually!

My Father was no great fan of wolves!
snow report
rungsp, Was he a Villa man ?
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rungsp, Was he a Villa man ?
he was from Poland not Italy Toofy Grin

CP
latest report
Frosty the Snowman,

You're on top form today Very Happy
snow conditions
More on the Wolves. French sheep farmers claim to have captured 4 wolves in the Mercantour and have released them into cities in the south. The leader said "we have moved the wolves from where they are unwanted to where people want them.

What do you think? I imagine the wolves will either find the scavenging great and adapt to a city lifestyle or they will simply turn tail and head for the hill.

Be interesting to see what the French state do about this. Under the Berne treaty it is illegal to trap a protected species. The farmers are threatening to release 4 wolves in the center of Paris next unless the French wolves are rounded up and shot.

http://ledauphine.com/info/france/art_61373.php - link in French

edited to add URL

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 19-02-06 23:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:

Everything had been eaten except the metal parts of the uniforms and horses' harnesses; and the metal actions of their rifles.
Flesh, bones, clothes, leather, even the oiled wood on the rifles. All eaten.
Surrounding the area were the empty cartridge cases of every bullet they carried.

Yeah I've seen that movie... don't trust the pretty girl in the land rover.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, not an expert on wolf prints, are you? There were pints of blood all over the Granges piste today in Les Arcs, plus some sizeable paw prints - photo in blog, towards end...) rob@rar suggested a yeti, but we've got enought tourists on the pistes as it is at the moment wink
snow report
PG - yes, a quick google search suggests that definately IS a wolf-print.

Some further info here : http://www.wolftrust.org.uk/a-d4-depredation-verify.html
snow report
PG wrote:
davidof, not an expert on wolf prints, are you? There were pints of blood all over the Granges piste today in Les Arcs, plus some sizeable paw prints - photo in blog, towards end...) rob@rar suggested a yeti, but we've got enought tourists on the pistes as it is at the moment ;-)

Send me a hi-res photo and I will try to get a 2nd confirmation from a friend who hunts wolves for the National Park (with his camera).
latest report
No 2 son, who nurses fantasises of living in forest with wolves for company (!!!) says it is a wolfprint.
snow conditions
A wolf on the Granges piste! Who'd have thought it Shocked
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont wrote:
No 2 son, who nurses fantasises of living in forest with wolves.

Romulus and Remus did it and look where it took them....
ski holidays
davidof, Very Happy
ski holidays
davidof, Oh well, when in Rome!
snow conditions
I like the idea of wolves and bears roaming free throughout the alpes etc but don't know how this sits with farmers and locals. And I do think they should protected with possibly a government sanctioned cull only if they get too great in numbers. Other species are managed like this so maybe wolves and bears can be too. And from the stories above it sounds like the people are more at danger from the hunters than the animals..!!!

When I used to walk my dog I always liked her to try and chase rabbits, and she was keen but they were just way too fast so it was just exercise really, but I came across a Welsh couple who said they noticed an awful lot of rabbits around here, I looked surprised and said as much, and they replied that where they came from they would all have been killed for the pot.... !!!
snow conditions
JT wrote:
I like the idea of wolves and bears roaming free throughout the alpes etc but don't know how this sits with farmers and locals.

It ought to sit well, farmers want to see themselves as custodians of the countryside and this is part of it. Locally we've lynx and wolves with bears returning to another part of Switzerland. If the lynx and wolves attack life stock the farmer is compensated in the first couple of instances and if there's a problem developing the individual lynx and wolf is tracked and destroyed.

That's not to say there's not some minor opposition from farmers but broadly they're in favor and it reflects the consensus of public opinion of course. The idea of living in an natural alpine environment where lynx, wolves, bears, big birds of prey, steinbock etc all roam appeals to the Swiss mindset I think which is why there's been these reintroduction programs.
ski holidays
[quote="ise"]
JT wrote:

That's not to say there's not some minor opposition from farmers but broadly they're in favor and it reflects the consensus of public opinion of course. The idea of living in an natural alpine environment where lynx, wolves, bears, big birds of prey, steinbock etc all roam appeals to the Swiss mindset I think which is why there's been these reintroduction programs.

Are you sure there is a reintroduction program? In France there has not been a reintroduction program for Wolves or Lynx but a limited program for bears (despite claims by the farmers to the contrary), the wolves that exist have simply walked over the border from Italy and there is still a large natural bear population in Spain.... given time and lack of outside pressure they would recolonize all of the Pyrenees.
snow report
ise,

Hopefully the animals are aware of the borders and don't stray into France... Laughing
As ever Switzerland is the place to be... Laughing

Not sure if Wolves, Lynx etc would be a bigger problem than other hunters like foxes... bigger, of course, but are they as destructive..?
Friend of mine had a duck and 11 chicks wiped out by a fox, left carcasses everywhere, seemed like wanton destruction and not a food kill
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy