Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski hire help

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
We are going skiing in a few weeks time and the lady who handles the apartment in Les 2 Alpes has recommended Ski Republic for us to book our ski rental in advance online.... however I have no idea what we should be renting as you have to pick a particular ski.

I have only had one weeks skiing on snow but had 1-1 lessons and got on ok - was skiing parallel from day2 onwards. I have had a couple of lessons this autumn on our local dry ski slope and been skiing weekly so I at least back to where I was last Feb (if not more confident and consistent). The only type of skis I know anything about are waterskis.... with slalom skis on water then picking too advanced a ski is a major mistake and you will end up with a face full of water... is it the same with snow skis? I have gained the impression that the lower end skis are labelled as 'basic' rather than good for beginners.
Are there any skis that anyone think would be good for me to rent? I am 5ft6 and 70kgs if that is at all relevant!

My husband is a complete beginner but 6ft 3 rugby player .... is there any brand of ski that is better for the slightly more substantial personnage?

Thanks in advance for any help - I have tried to read round on this one but only come away feeling completely clueless!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski republic have gone bust so avoid them Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi katedenhaag, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

red 27 is right, Ski Republic have gone bust so you'll need another shop in LDA.

Whichever shop you rent from will give you both appropriate skis for your 'personnage' and experience. You really don't need anything fancy, let alone a specific brand at this stage in your skiing careers. Maybe after 3-4 weeks you might be more interested in what the ski is actually doing but not this early on.

Enjoy the savings on not being tempted by top-of-the-line for as long as you can wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have no illustions to grandeur - I have no idea whether I am a beginner (think I am) or an intermediate. Do I just pick a beginner ski for both of us?

It seems renting online before we get there is much cheaper but may tie you into getting the wrong kit.... it was much easier in Andorra where we stayed with friends and their ski shop just sorted us out and I had none of this worry! Red/Blue.... Bronze/Silver etc etc is making me all Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, just go for the cheapest beginner skis for both of you. The subtleties of different skis will not be apparent for a while yet.

I think intermediate begins once you are skiing (not just getting down) reds confidently but that's just my HO. (ducks for cover expecting a lynching any moment as some may think I'm being a bit harsh).

The most important thing is going to be your boots. As you'll know from your first week, it's weird putting them on for the first time and hard to believe that they need to be so Tight. Boot pfaff can really wreck a week's skiing. Spend more time on that in the shop than anything else. Book whatever and be prepared to change it when you're in there trying them on.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27 wrote:
ski republic have gone bust so avoid them Laughing

I'm not sure it as simple as that:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57718
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I think intermediate begins once you are skiing (not just getting down) reds confidently but that's just my HO. (ducks for cover expecting a lynching any moment as some may think I'm being a bit harsh).

If anything, I'd say intermediate = confident skiing reds/pushing onto blacks.

As said, don't worry too much about skis as you won't really notice the difference, but spend time getting the boots right, and don't let the shop just rush you out if you're not happy with them (but equally accept that they need to be tighter than you probably think!).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks ever so much - really helpful to have your opinions. Translating waterski experience to snow was heavily pushing me towards beginner skis but I guess I was a bit worried that I would then end up with naff boots. Having worn a wide variety of boots at the dry ski slope over the past couple of months I will just need to trust myself that I have now tried enough boots on to know if they are wrong (and I am not so much of a wimp that I won't go back and change them!).
Am vaguely wishing I had just gone for it and bought myself some boots for my birthday... but treated myself to a iPod Touch instead so now will just have to hire boots and not whinge!!
If I ever manage to get through to the Ski Republic people on the phone I may gain the confidence to book with them as the apartment lady in LDA says the franchise owner is someone who has run a shop there for 10 years so seems unlikely they will disapear in the next 3 weeks... and I would like to get something booked just for my peace of mind.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
katedenhaag, sounds good. Have a great time Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
katedenhaag, Our one experience with Ski Republic in VT was not good - we did not get what we had booked and they tried to palm us off with clearly sub-standard skis. Is there no-one else you could try in resort. We went elsewhere at the time and I would not willingly go back to them if there was an alternative.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Very Happy ....ok I will bite Very Happy Intermediate is the stage when you realise that floppy is no good and you want something stiffer (skis!!).. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try Carrel sports in L2A. Its run by an English guy who is very helpful about what skis and boots etc. to go with!! but my advice would be to pay for the slightly better boots but not to worry so much about the type of skis. Having said this Carrel will sort you out with all the appropriate kit!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Am vaguely wishing I had just gone for it and bought myself some boots for my birthday... but treated myself to a iPod Touch instead so now will just have to hire boots and not whinge!!

Birthdays are when other poeple are supposed to buy you prezzies! Perhaps if you are nice to hubby while in LDA he might buy you an early present for your next birthday?

Mrs Spurs and I had the choice of basic, top or expert skis this year, we have booked 'top' because we've had some pretty naff stuff in the past. We've also booked top for the kids, who have only one day experience. I think I remember easiski recommending this on another thread.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, flowa, you two need to shut up. There are two Ski Republic shops in 2Alpes, both of them open for business. One of them is in fact Carrel Sports, recommended above.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, hey, I'm just going on what I was told by someone whom I consider to be a very credible source of information. I'm perfectly happy to be corrected but I don't appreciate being told to 'shut up'.

Like in your thread, I'm only trying to be helpful with the information and experience I have. If something I think is accurate turns out not to be then it is a genuine mistake on my part and I would appreciate it being seen as such. I don't think I deserve to be referred to in such a negative way.
snow conditions
flowa, how much would you appreciate it if people went around telling potential customers that your employer was going bust? You need to be a tad more careful about that sort of gossip.
snow report
Any Snowheads used Ski Republic this season? Their prices look very tempting: good skis for 120 euro a week (Val d'Isere) and the second set are free. What's the catch?
ski holidays
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1385167

Use them if they're still open when you get there, but don't pay in advance - whatever big-gob says
latest report
Thanks - good advice especially as, unlike other rental shops, apparently there is no discount for on-line booking.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy