Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice and experience-sharing, please - 3 year old on skis

Poster: A snowHead
My son is just 3.

Old enough to ski a bit?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
doctor_eeyore, well my 3 yo (3 at xmas) will be on skis a month later when we go to puy st vincent so hope so! I think the things we were advised on was take it slow, get a very good and patient instructor and do it for short period - our guy will be doing just an hour every morning - rest of the time in a creche - I think a normal 3 hour lesson would be to long. For info we are going with Snowbizz who have an excellent reputation with kids and run their own ski school jointly with ISF in Puy so hopefully he'll be in safe hands! Finally I think if they don't take to it then don't push it - don't want to put them off for life!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
doctor_eeyore, Depends on how strong he is and how good his balance is. Went our first family ski trip in 2006 when my kids were aged 2, 5and 8. 6 and 9 year old went to ski school and got on great. My 2 year old was in creche but we tried him on the small plastic skis and to be honest were a complete waste of time. The first time we tried him is ski school was when he was 4 and he was absolutely knackered each day but we saw a huge difference in him this year when he was 5.

Think my other 2 would have managed at 3 as they were a bit stronger at that age. Funnily enough my youngest has achieved things at an earlier age than the other two- riding bike, swimming etc.

All I can say is that it is different for each child and whilst in my experience 3 would be too young, there will be plenty of others who say he'll be fine, which I'm sure he will be
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
While 3 year olds can learn to ski, many find it very frustrating at times. By waiting until they are a bit bigger at around 4 they tend to pick it up much quicker and will ski as well as a kid that started at 3 so no real advantage to starting them at 3 and generally more tears to deal with.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
doctor_eeyore, yes 3 is old enough to ski a little bit if he fancies it. From our experience don't expect too much at 3, the difference between 3 and 4 for skiing is huge we found. But certainly let him have a try and keep it fun. From experience I would find an international ski school(ESI) in the resort you are going to and let him try, they have max number of 6 for the very little ones which is great. lib-banana is going to a great place with a little one, Snowbizz are truly fab with them Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
doctor_eeyore, definately....glad to see someone letting their kids enjoy themselves without wrapping them in cotton wool...hope he takes to it and good luck......

okbye
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah, great to hear that - everyone says so - really looking forward to it (only 6 weeks till we are off!) snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree with what's been said. These photo's are of our youngest at 3(and 2 months) in St Anton Feb 2008.

You can see from his smile that he got a lot of satisfaction though in reality didn't achieve a great deal. In Feb this year he was coming down a full blue run from the top to bottom on his own (at Le Grand Bornand) - amazing how much more progress one year makes but I think that the earlier they are able to start the easier they'll find it...

Can't wait to see what he can do in two weeks time Little Angel

Dave
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi, 3 years old is quite young to learn but it is certainly possible depending on the individual child! I would echo a few points that have been made here

short periods of time,

not pushing the child...skiing should and will be fun for children but at 3 yrs old some children arn't strong enough to make the snowplough or use the lift (in the jardan de neige) by themselves therefore it can be frustrating. Small children can be taught through play and this in my experiance is the best possible way to ensure that they take to the snow and skiing and you can continue to enjoy your familiy ski holidays in the future!

The right instructor is also important, go with recomendations and talk to the ski school desk about your needs to ensure that they allocate the correct instructor for the job!

Have a fantastic holiday! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
doctor_eeyore, though my eldest started at 3 I'm a bit worried about my youngest (now 3) who is a bit more strong willed and less easy going than my eldest. I'm thinking ESF might even ban her Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I guess that three covers a twelve month period and everyone will be different etc. For what it's worth mine started at that age but did a ski kindergarten type thing when a realtively small proportion of the time was spent skiing or trying to and a larger proportion of the time just playing around. They seemed to enjoy it, don't think it particularly progressed their skiing though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My son, at 3 yrs 6 months..... (the one in green) http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/4958976/13202664

Oh and this was his second day on skis. He wouldn't stop until the lifts closed. He did sleep well but was up for more the next day.

If you have an adventurous child then go for it and expect to be pleased.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
doctor_eeyore, Yes - if he can ride a bike then balance will be easier. alexchapman is right that at this age they should be going for snow play that involves some skiing, not for the skiing alone. Half days with long lunches are good, warm clothing imperative, and this is where UK TOs major over traditional alpine ski schools as a sweeping generalisation.
One piece outfits whilst warmer are a nightmare in the average mountain loo with a flood of wee on the floor. High quality gloves are worth the money (or better still begged from friends) and ditto goggles.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

High quality gloves are worth the money

My memories are that cheap gloves were fine but having a couple of pairs is useful.
snow report
doctor_eeyore, depends!

Depends on you / the wife, your child, the ski school, the instructor and distance from hotel to the lesson- all taken together.

You / your wife; you must both want the child to go- and like skiing a lot- any ambivalence about whinging / a few tears or anxious lurking about near the lesson and your sunk. Quite a few children will get fearful at the prospect of a lesson- our first child hid under a table saying "I've got a headache, I've got a cough, I've got a cold, I feel sick......" wife was happy to cancel everything- I had a chat "are you feeling a bit scared?"- "yes" sniffs- a cuddle - a promise of not being far away and he was fine. 1 hour lessons take a lot of your ski time- are you happy to pay that? (notjust an hour- the getting back to pick up, getting them changed, walking to lesson- a nightmare, finding instructor, waiting around and repeat)

Your child; is your chid continent (in the very cold)? If not you have a problem- if s/he has a wee wee- or worse in his/her fartbags- the instructor will not see the funny side. As I have mentioned previously a special 'ski nappy' (as worn by astronauts) can help- but not if the child is being taken to and from by a TO childcare. Will your child tolerate being left with a stranger? Has he been to nursery etc? Have you started ski propaganda already? Then the coordination stuff- but this is not as important as continence.

Ski school; many don't take children less than 4 and some if they do wil only give private lessons

Instructor; makes a big difference.

Distance from hotel to lesson; if this involves a bus trip, walk, lift etc all for a 1 hour (expensive) private lesson that your wife and child seem half-hearted about- or worse then you might not see the point.

That said our oldest started at 3, private lessons in Val d'Isere, involving a walk, a lift , some ambivalence and lurking but a good instructor.

Birth order also makes a difference- if oldest child already skiing then getting the second to lessons is not a problem at all (like lots of things).
ski holidays
At that age they won't 'achieve' much but can certainly get a lot of fun out of it even if you are just pushing them around on the flat.

For young kids I'm convinced that cross country is much much better for them to start with. You can do it on the flat and it is so close to walking so they pick it up very easily, with alpine skis they get annoyed by sliding backwards and will unsuccessfully try and walk with their skis on. The equipment is very clumsy for them too. I grew up in Norway and started on XC skis at about 3 turning 4, my parents just put me on them and let me get on with it!
snow report
All valid comments.

Regarding the time and your skiing time have you considered a private nanny? They would do all the leg work of getting the child ready and to the ski school and taking home afterwards etc. and you could just come along to watch the skiing!!! or even just show up 5 mins from the end to see how well the child is doing (sometimes the parents presence during the lesson is positive but other times it can be negative, this is dependant on your child and therefore only you will know which is the right thing to do here!). This way you get to ski more and your child gets to be involved and have a lesson/ski but also do other fun things with the nanny whilst your enjoying the slopes!

There are lots of private nanny companies out there it may be worth having a look at?
ski holidays
3 is doable... Mille was 3 years 1 month and did mornings and lunch at the Panda Club in Chamonix.

In summary - 14 nts, so 12 days ski school she did very well, HOWEVER I defy any 3 year old to learn to stop !! Unless they get way more attention than they do in most places. In talking to some of the instructors and seeing their kids (similar age) they could but they'd been doing it all season and it took a few weeks to get them stopping.

Millie learnt to ride a drag lift (slow one) and also could turn, albeit not with a lot of control. But no stopping !!

This year we are doing 14 nts in the US so fingers crossed she will get the hang of stopping this time ! Their legs just not strong enough at 3.
latest report
As everyone else has said it really depends on the child. I started our daughter at 3 years, she had a tough time with heavy snow each day and very little understanding of what the instructors wanted her to do. Although she had made some progress by the end of the week, it was touch and go whether she would want to ski ever again.

With our son I left it a year later and I think he made far better progress. I would consider how mature your child is and the sking conditions before making a decision.
ski holidays
Hi

I just wanted to post a couple of vids to show the difference made in 6mnths with small children

http://youtube.com/v/rOyOFG0yuzI

http://youtube.com/v/6mOjlnHgH_o&feature=channel

http://youtube.com/v/8EQMppT2kkI&feature=channel

my advice would be pick a small not very busy resort, with little distance from accomodation to slopes or even better ski in/out. The first vid was in La rosiere and we went with ski esprit , so that we had childcare sorted, the second 2 vids were in Sainte Foy with premier neige who also have childcare options.

Hope this helps
Fizz
snow report
My youngest started at 2yrs 11 months. She managed about 1 hour a day, just playing on the nursery slope with mum and dad - no lessons. I didn't expect her to actually 'ski' but more get a feel for sliding around. She spent most of the time shouting at me to let her go faster (I never let go of her due to braking problems) and she had a blast. She loved been taken on the drag lift.
At 3 years 11 months she was snowplough turning happily down green and blue runs and sometimes taking the drag lift alone. For the last 9 months she has been studying the piste map and deciding which runs she is going to do in March.
There is an obvious difference between her and her brother who is 14 months older but started at the same time. He is a lot stronger and therefore more in control. I'm hoping she will be more on par with him this season.
ski holidays
Stay home and take him out for a few day trips instead. Wait until he's 5 in 2012 - the mountains will still be there.
ski holidays
Where do you live? Our youngest learnt with Lions at Castleford. They were fab with little kids. Ours started at 2.5 but only because we knew we were moving to canada, otherwise we wouldn't have bothered. It was a long haul, at first she only managed 0.5 hrs at a time, then she progressed and a week before we moved out here when she was 2 yrs 11 months she got it (after a lot of dad skiing backwards). We really wanted her used to the snow and cold (not just for skiing but for life in general).

Then at just 3 we went to Panorama with her and she did some skiing, with us on magic carpet which she loved, and some day care.

Magic carpets are REALLY good for little kids. They like the control aspects and its not scarey.

TBH we would never have started her this early if w hadn't been coming here. But now 2 years on she is very good for her size and is joining a race club this year.
snow report
doctor_eeyore, yes - a bit - my youngest did an hour each morning and each afternoon with an instructor in daycare in Lake Louise, and loved it.
snow conditions
Our daughter was 3 years and 5 months when she started in Ishgl. A good beginners area but we lucked out on the instructor. Impatient, not much English, yanked the kids up by the arm when they fell.
We had an appartment with friends with a four year old that she knew who'd had a weeks skiing the year before. The kids were'nt in the same class but were in sight of one another. This helped but neither were keen on school. The first week they were in class in the morning. One of us adults was with them in the afternoon. The second week they 'free' skied with one, sometimes two, of us parents. That worked fine.
We suggested the follwing year that she stayed at home because, certainly the first week, she was really quite 'down'. No was the answer.
She has not missed a year since. However, I would suggest that maybe the best time to start is after they have started school. That way, they are used to being with other kids being taught and being away from mum and dad. Also, pick a more family friendly resort like Serfaus, for example.
snow report
Thanks all. He'll be 3+2/12 when we go. I wasn't thinking so much about the lessons, more along the is it feasible to rent boots and skis without being laughed at too much. An hour a day would be plenty.

He can roller skate a bit. Sort of. well, he likes falling over.

Morzine. January. Cold and possibly rainy. I think he'll go into Club Piou-Piou for a bit, some time with M&D and sometime with the grandparents who'll be there as well.

TY Smile

DrE
snowHead
ski holidays
my grandchildren, aged 6 and 3.5, are starting this christmas. I've booked them both private lessons (after an initial couple of days when we will just play with them, on an almost flat free nursery rope tow) but have no great hopes of the young Edward actually doing very much - we'll see. He might, if he sees his big sister doing it (they're great mates) but then I'm not too convinced that she will either - she's a bit of a wimp.

Edward is very good on a scooter (which he rides goofy wink ) is physically quite well coordinated, and makes no fuss about hurting himself - unlike his big sister rolling eyes . It's his mental attitude which will probably be his undoing - he's still got a touch of the 2 year old about him, if he gets stroppy, and if he's happy (which he mostly is) he'll be doing everything but listen to what an instructor is saying too him.

Our No 1, 2 and 3 goal is that they have a good time and want to go on a ski holiday again next year.

I've seen plenty of kids who look as if they're 3, having fun and doing well, but I suspect most of them spend a lot of time on the slopes, and in France they are often skiing with grandparents, who are both highly competent and indulgent and willing to spend hours and hours with them. Parents trying to achieve too much, too soon, in a single week (especially if they are trying to maximise their own ski time) is probably the undoing of most Brit families. I shall have to try hard not to fall into the same trap.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
doctor_eeyore, my youngest daughter started at 3 with ESF Piou Piou for the week and generally got the hang of sliding and having a good time. It was the next year when she was 4 when she really got the hang of things though as she was that bit stronger and was desperate to follow her elder sister. Just don't expect much and treat it as a bit of a laugh and get extra gloves or sew string into them so they don't loose them. Or yes and don't forget the sun cream, even if it looks cloudy. Mind you if you are in Morzine you might rust with the rain
latest report
Small Kids dont like drag lifts, start out on a magic carpet.
Then take then in a gondola (not a chairlift) to a longer slope and use a harness (not a ski pole).
You will be surprised how quickly they get it.
ski holidays
3 Year olds generally lack the strength to do any form of snowplow...

But with enough patience they can learn turns on a flat enough nursery which doesn't require stopping skills.

The only thing you should expect from a 3 (often even 4) year old is 'have fun' -- Break the fun and he/she won't like to go to school next year.

On average its about 4y6m you can see some 'proper' skiing after a week.
snow report
We waited until our youngest was 5 (eldest 7), and wished now we had gone a year or two earlier. They had 4 private lessons at the snowdome before we went, so they would at least be in some sort of control in the initial days. By the second day they were confident with most blues, and were happy on most reds by the 3-4 th day. That said they are athletic, and the youngest does a lot of dancing, so balance was quickly sorted.

They have been for two years (weeks), with some sporadic lessons in the off season, and they are comfortable on easy blacks and have a nice style. I think that we will be asking them to slow down this year to wait for mum and dad.
snow conditions
Our son started at 3 in Selva, loved it, was happily snowplowing the nursery slopes all day.

Littl'un also started at three, in Tignes with ESF, and hated it. She finally got the bug in St Anton when she was five.

All down to type of child and ski instructor.
latest report
This might be a good time to raise again the question of harnesses - and/or those little gadgets which clip the front of their skis together to stop them doing the splits. The latter always look like a good idea, but kids in harnesses just seem to rely on parents rather than learn themselves. But if a harness meant that Ed could have some fun whizzing around, and learn to slow himself down next year, that would be fine. I'd be interested to hear what people have found.

He completely and utterly refused to trot around in a harness when he was little - but maybe he'd see the point on a slippery slope.

What's worrying me a bit now is the extremely cold temperatures forecast for Christmas - I don't see any child (or adult for that matter) enjoying learning to ski in perishingly cold temperatures.
snow report
Quote:

but kids in harnesses just seem to rely on parents rather than learn themselves

I agree totally, its important they realise they have to learn to stop , and can stop. Harnesses don't teach them that and they teach them to lean back.
snow report
All 3 of mine started at Hemel on dry at 3.5 (lessons with the excellent Ashley, who's still there though more managerial than hands on these days) and at Les Arcs 3y9m. Snowploughed no problem. They've progressed a bit now wink and still love it.
ski holidays
3 is a fairly common age that some ski-schools will take them, but there is no reason why they can't start skiing earlier that that. I've posted this video before:

http://youtube.com/v/O1xovYeMdUI

The first half of this is #2son, taken when last February when he was about 22 months.

The second half is his elder brother, then aged 7.5yrs, who started at a similar age.
snow report
RobW, how many weeks a year do your kids get to spend on the snow?
snow conditions
pam w, Only three or four.

But they are on the artificial slope two evenings a week all year round, plus the summer race scene for the elder, and typically two weeks summer camp.
snow conditions
RobW,

Just interested as I have a seven year old boy, who is into skiing and is joining a race club this winter.

What is the 'summer race scene'?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy