Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Group travel via Cheap flight/self-drive combo

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following on from my post here.

I'm wondering if anyone else has considered the following group travel option:

1 person, Des the driver, whizzes around on the Thursday evening in a people carrier large enough for the group, picking up everyone's hold luggage and ski equipment.

Everyone else gets cheap hand-luggage-only flights at £10 or less.

Des drives to the alps on the Friday. Drops the gear off at the chalet/hotel/apt on the Saturday. Skis Saturday before picking up the group from the airport at 10pm in the now unladen people carrier.

Sunday to Friday as normal.

Saturday, depending on flight time, either everyone skis and then drops luggage and equipment off at Des' hotel, or Des does the airport transfer first, then skis. Saturday night is spent by Des at a return stopover either way.

Sunday, Des drives home.

Sunday or Monday, Des returns everyone's luggage and equipment.

Pricing:

Fuel collecting/returning luggage: £50
Fuel to resort and back: £150
Tolls to resort and back: £150
Channel crossing: £50
Two nights in single room: £80
Extra day skiing: £30
Flights: (n-1)*£10
Total: £500+n*£10
Per person: £10+£500/n

Thus for a group of 8, it works out at around £72.50

Taking luggage+skis on plane would cost around £200 (~£120 flight + ~£80 transfer).

Advantages:
Most of the group gets a flight unencumbered by hold luggage and skis.
Saves a LOT of money.
Private transfer included.
No limits on weight, number of bags, number of skis.
Des gets one or two extra days' skiing.

Disadvantages:
Need enthusiastic driver called Des.
Des must trust no luggage contains contraband.
Des may face search at the channel crossing when answering "No" to "Did you pack all your luggage?"
Group must have confidence Des will arrive ok - or ski gear worn/carried on plane, and rent skis as contingency.
Des spends more days on the trip than everyone else.
All group members need to be within reasonable driving distance of Des (and the channel).
Des must go easy on the alcohol prior to driving.

Has anyone already done this?

I've done something pretty close. I drove 5 out to Serre Chevalier, and then drove back to pick 3 up from Grenoble (whose skis I'd already driven out).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Des! wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In order for Des to be happy driving for 10+ hours on their own in both directions, staying in a single room and skiing on their own they clearly have no friends! Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
why dont the 8 people go in the van with Des?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tiger2, the price doesn't change much if you give the driver a companion, whether twin or double depending upon how friendly they are.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i like it - thinking outside the box...

but how about everyone gets in the car with Des; then the cost is £350/n (or ~£33 each)..?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
aldoyle, the people carrier or MPV is already filled to the gunnels with luggage and ski equipment. Moreover, stopover rooms soon eat into the price, and not many people are into driving.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I should add that the pricing is very much back-of-envelope. We could start pinning it down more precisely if people are interested. One must include the resort/airport transfer fuel+tolls, car-parking costs, headlight deflectors, European breakdown cover, wear & tear, etc. But even so, I think one still ends up close to half-price travel.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have been "Des" and would be "Des" again quite happily.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
crosbie, with a car or mpv full no need to stop other than to fillup and go to the toilet so it doesn't eat in to the journet time all that much. And from Ashford I reckon you can be in the Alps in 7- 8hrs. Have done from liverpool in a car with 4 people in around 12hrs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seems a reasonable suggestion for the right group. Wouldn't work with my group of ski buddies but we are pretty happy with the TO way of things anyway.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
halfhand, yup I usually get an 8am tunnel to arrive in resort 6-8pm. Last Feb I got to Briancon in time for din dins. Liverpool to alps in 12 is pretty good going. Shocked

I guess prices for 5-7 person MPVs with roofbox, 7-9 person people carriers, and 17 person minibuses could be worked out. It may even be cost effective to hire the latter (or even 'buy to resell'). Just imagine 16 people flying out on £10 return tickets, could almost be a business opportunity here (16x£89=£1,424).
wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
crosbie, Could be a rival to Stelios and Michael Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For busy people I think you have a good idea here - Des could get a free holiday for the wear and tear on his vehicle or a free lift pass at the very least.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
To clarify I think I mentioned busy people because you could almost go from work if all your stuff had already gone with Des - you could also do a short break instead of a whole week if you had the right accommodation.... there's definitely food for thought. I wonder where I could find a Des?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy