Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance company recommendation?

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all

It's that time of the year and our annual family policy is due for renewal. Currently with Insure & Go and they are quoting £113 for family of 4, including 17 days of wintersports cover, and cover for pre-existing conditions (Mr A is diabetic and I was hospitalised with pneumonia earlier this year - no ongoing problems). Before I start trawling for alternatives, does anyone have a recommendation for companies which will cover pre-existing conditions and have proven themselves not to add to the stress in the event of a claim? We have never had to claim with Insure & Go and you really can't tell if they are any good until you do. Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Give Snowcard a call. They always seem to understand our problems and, when we've had to claim, they paid up pretty promptly.

http://www.snowcard.co.uk/pages/index.asp
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anniepen, Direct Travel increased our premium after hubby broke his neck, but they were still very reasonable. Claim was not stress free, although medical assistance during his stay in hospital was good. Not entirely DT's fault as it wasn't a straightforward claim due to hospital not being in resort, car being our only transport for the children, etc etc.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We found the Direct Travel claim process less than satisfactory when Al Phorn ruptured his ACL so I wouldn't ever take out a policy with them again. They argued about every part of the claim, even when the items we claimed for were clearly stated on the policy documents, and they took a long time to pay out. In addition, we previously made a claim on the same policy for a minor injury and that also was not straightforward.

Helen Beaumont, fortunately it sounds like you had a more positive experience with them, having to deal with such a serious injury. But personally I wouldn't be confident enough to go away with one of their policies in place and be sure that they would look after us adequately, should we be in the position of having another injury/incident between us.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DOG TAG every time! I fimly believe one should judge any insurance company (be it Holiday Motor or Household) on it's ability to settle a claim promptly and without fuss.
In complete contrast to Sam and Alphorns experience of Direct Travel
Quote:

I have a Dogtag annual family policy.
Unfortunately I needed to make a claim for using the Med centre at La Plagne Centre over Christmas.
I sent the claim form off on January 6th 2009 and the payment was in my bank account on January 16th 2009.

Thread on claim settlement here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1137886&highlight=claim#1137886
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SamM, it wasn't entirely positive, and did cause me some stress at the time.I put it down to the complexity of the claim, but perhaps it wasn't. Medical assistance were brilliant though. Our problems were mainly due I think to poorly trained claims staff, although senior staff members sorted it out, but only after a SnowHeads offered their help, and I lodged a complaint. I had no option but to re-insure with them, as no-one else would offer us cover while Jules was still under care of the neurosurgeon. For some reason they can't comprehend that he is not paralysed and has full control of his bodily functions (well most of them Laughing Laughing Laughing ).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Other people have more positive experiences of claiming with Direct Travel (there have been several threads recently where they have been mentioned).

But claim experiences with Insure&Go seem to be pretty universally negative (including mine).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all. I have been quoted more or less the same by Dog Tag as Insure & Go, so will probably take that. The two pre-existing conditions each incur their lowest additional premium of £9.49, but this is due to neither condition causing any day to day problems - this extra premium would be higher if Mr A had ever (for example).... been in hospital due to his diabetes. The only hassle factor so far is that I had to ring a separate number and go through another 'screening' questionaire, having already done it with Dog Tag, which took a further 15 minutes on a non-free number. Thanks for the info and thanks alex_heney, for the heads-up about I & G's claim behaviour.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My other reason for insuring with DT is that I can ski for unlimited trips each winter of up to 17 days at a time. It won't be suitable if we decide to spend longer, but suits us fine at the moment.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We claimed on Direct Travel last year with no problems whatsoever, although it was a fairly straightforward clinic/hospital claim. The premium this year, and I've just renewed, didn't seem to have been increased - £64 annual for a couple.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cathy, ours only increased because hubby was still seeing the consultant when the policy came up for renewal (we were going to EOSB or I would have left it for longer to renew). I think they added £40 onto the premium, but it was still less than many others were asking.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DOGTAG - used them for the last 4 years and made one claim which was sorted very quickly and without any hassle. Wouldn't consider going anywhere else.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Direct Travel, when I had to claim last year after I blew my knees they were superb with support, repatriation and paying up! I think I've had to pay an extra £25 this year to cover my torn ACL but I've got no issue with that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quite good experience with snowcard when I ruptured an Achilles tendon a few years back. I like their modular approach to cover, too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowcard are good according to OH - he didn't have to pay any cash for his blood wagon off mountain with concussion a few years ago! Only claim experience we have. Also covered my 1 week before wrist surgery with a note that I wasn't travelling against medical advice but didn't have to claim on that trip, so no idea if they'd've tried to wriggle out.
snow report
Snowcard - major knee incident in Colorado (costing tens of thousands of dollars). They were brilliant.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy